Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Experience with grad school after TESU
For those who are wondering if a TESU undergrad will get you into a good grad school. Here's my experience, two times around.

In 2004 I got a BA in Psychology from TESU. I used CLEP/DANTES/ECE for about 40 credits. The rest were a mix of different schools, online, on-campus, etc. 

Graduated with I think around a 3.3. Applied to Georgia Tech's 2-yr on campus MBA program with a 640 GMAT in 2004 and was accepted. Graduated in 2007. 

Went back to TESU last year to get a second BA in Computer Science. For the 24 new hours needed I did a combination of ECE, CLEP, Study.com, and Data Structures
through Iowa State Univ online and finally the capstone at TESU. Not sure my GPA, not more than 3.5 total across everything, probably closer to 3.3.

I applied late last year to Univ of Illinois Springfield (unranked program) online M.S. in Computer Science. Was accepted. Taking two classes there now. 

I also applied for Summer 2020 to Univ of Illinois Urbana Champaign's (Top 5 CS program) online Master in Computer Science and just found out I was accepted. Waiting to see if
the two courses from Springfield will transfer and if so I'll transfer over to that program. 

Have a good story to tell, get some good work experience, and don't let the name of your bachelor's diploma make you think you can't get into a good grad school.
[-] The following 8 users Like jonesy20's post:
  • alab21, camjenks, harrypotter, icy, lucindaperry, Muldoon, Pikachu, TwinMom
(04-04-2020, 11:11 AM)jonesy20 Wrote: For those who are wondering if a TESU undergrad will get you into a good grad school. Here's my experience, two times around.

In 2004 I got a BA in Psychology from TESU. I used CLEP/DANTES/ECE for about 40 credits. The rest were a mix of different schools, online, on-campus, etc. 

Graduated with I think around a 3.3. Applied to Georgia Tech's 2-yr on campus MBA program with a 640 GMAT in 2004 and was accepted. Graduated in 2007. 

Went back to TESU last year to get a second BA in Computer Science. For the 24 new hours needed I did a combination of ECE, CLEP, Study.com, and Data Structures
through Iowa State Univ online and finally the capstone at TESU. Not sure my GPA, not more than 3.5 total across everything, probably closer to 3.3.

I applied late last year to Univ of Illinois Springfield (unranked program) online M.S. in Computer Science. Was accepted. Taking two classes there now. 

I also applied for Summer 2020 to Univ of Illinois Urbana Champaign's (Top 5 CS program) online Master in Computer Science and just found out I was accepted. Waiting to see if
the two courses from Springfield will transfer and if so I'll transfer over to that program. 

Have a good story to tell, get some good work experience, and don't let the name of your bachelor's diploma make you think you can't get into a good grad school.
Congrats. It really great story. Best of luck  Smile
My BS with Information Systems concentration from Charter Oak got me into an MA in Educational Technology Leadership program at George Washington University. Granted, that was 15 years ago now, but I doubt much has changed.
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
18 doctoral level semester-hours in Business Administration, Baker College
In progress: EdD in Educational Leadership, Manhattanville College

More at https://stevefoerster.com
(04-04-2020, 11:11 AM)jonesy20 Wrote: For those who are wondering if a TESU undergrad will get you into a good grad school. Here's my experience, two times around.

Did you have to take a second capstone at TESU? I have a BSBA from there, and I'm thinking about trying to get a second in Mathematics or CS from TESU or Charter Oak, but I don't want to have to pay several thousand for another capstone.
TESU BSBA CIS - March 2019
Clep: College Algebra, Analyzing and Interpreting Literature, History of U.S. I, History of U.S. II, Principles of Management, Introductory Sociology, College Composition, American Government, Financial Accounting, Principles of Macroeconomics, Principles of Microeconomics, Principles of Marketing, Information Systems, Introductory Business Law, Introductory Psychology, Western Civilization I, Spanish Language, Biology, Social Science and History, Precalculus, Calculus
Study.com: FIN-102 Personal Finance, FIN-101 Principles of Finance, ACC-102 Managerial Accounting, BUS-308 Globalization and International Management, CS-302 Systems Analysis and Design, CS-303 Database Management, COM-120 Presentation Skills in the Workplace, BUS-113 Business Communication, STAT-101 Principles of Statistics
OnlineDegree.com: Computer Science CS101
Saylor.org: CS402, BUS303, CS302
Certs: CompTIA A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, MCSA, LPIC-1, CCNA
TESU: BUS-421 Business Administration Capstone
In 2004 there was no capstone requirement. I tried to get it waived in 2019 but had to take it.
(04-05-2020, 10:59 AM)camjenks Wrote:

Did you have to take a second capstone at TESU? I have a BSBA from there, and I'm thinking about trying to get a second in Mathematics or CS from TESU or Charter Oak, but I don't want to have to pay several thousand for another capstone.

The business capstone is a different capstone than the one for math or computer science so you would have no choice. And even if you earned the same type of degree you they will make you take the capstone again.
(04-05-2020, 10:59 AM)camjenks Wrote:

The capstone is ba/bs specific. So take me for example I just finished BALS. If I were were going for BACS I wouldn't have to take it again but if I were going for a BSBA GM I would have to because they are two different capstone courses. BA is LIB-495 and BSBA is BUS-491.

Edit: actually I was wrong about not needing to take capstone again for BA. That is only if I am going for two degrees at the same time.
BALS Social Sciences - TESU 2020
ASNSM Computer Science - TESU 2020
Ah, so you're switching from one Univ of Illinois campus that's got an un-ranked CS program to another that has a better ranked CS program. Cool, are you doing the "plain jane" MS CS or the one with the Data Science track? I am planning to apply to any of the MOOC MSCS programs out there on Coursera, Edx, FutureLearn, Udacity or Upgrad once I'm done with the BA Biology.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • alab21
(04-06-2020, 01:14 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Ah, so you're switching from one Univ of Illinois campus that's got an un-ranked CS program to another that has a better ranked CS program.  Cool, are you doing the "plain jane" MS CS or the one with the Data Science track?  I am planning to apply to any of the MOOC MSCS programs out there on Coursera, Edx, FutureLearn, Udacity or Upgrad once I'm done with the BA Biology.
There aren't many classes available outside of the Data Science track so there isn't a huge difference. I'll probably go non-DS for better flexibility in the classes I can take.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 15 695 03-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,976 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 259 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  CIS-351 Software Engineering - Course Experience? Sallym 38 4,386 03-05-2024, 10:24 PM
Last Post: Vin
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 230 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 267 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,157 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 391 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 726 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy