Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FEMA APS (Advanced Professional Series) Certification
Does anyone know if the FEMA APS Certification can be used for college credit? If so, what colleges will accept it? I am assuming it may be able to be used in some sort of Homeland Security degree. Thanks!
When I was searching out some sort of emergency management degree that took FEMA, I settled on Frederick Community College as the cheapest and best place to go. YMMV Degree and Certificate Programs - Frederick Community College

Both the AAS in Emergency Management and the Certificate in Emergency Management allow for eight elective FEMA courses. I'm not sure what courses the APS uses, offhand. I think they might not be on the list of IS courses, but if they are you could use them there. Keep in mind that the AAS requires an internship, the Certificate does not.

You almost certainly are going to be limited to Emergency Management or maybe even Homeland Security. The APS requires butt-in-seat classes, right? If that's the case then it may be more acceptable to schools than the IS courses. Check the list and ask a lot of questions, but I think FCC may be your best bet. Good luck.

The College List
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - BGS

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)
Thanks for the response... You are correct that these are all "butt-in seat" classes. I have done a little searching, but can't find anything about how the "APS Certification" will transfer to anything specific. Hoping there is a school out there that will accept (probably wishful thinking) the APS Cert along with some general core classes and I will be able to obtain a degree.

To obtain the APS Cert you must complete certain required courses along with 5 elective courses. It's a pretty good program and some cities / counties require this cert to be an Emergency Manager.

If someone has a little more info that would be great.

(btw, I am looking into Frederick Community College to transfer some of the FEMA IS courses like you mentioned).

Thanks!

Tedium Wrote:When I was searching out some sort of emergency management degree that took FEMA, I settled on Frederick Community College as the cheapest and best place to go. YMMV Degree and Certificate Programs - Frederick Community College

Both the AAS in Emergency Management and the Certificate in Emergency Management allow for eight elective FEMA courses. I'm not sure what courses the APS uses, offhand. I think they might not be on the list of IS courses, but if they are you could use them there. Keep in mind that the AAS requires an internship, the Certificate does not.

You almost certainly are going to be limited to Emergency Management or maybe even Homeland Security. The APS requires butt-in-seat classes, right? If that's the case then it may be more acceptable to schools than the IS courses. Check the list and ask a lot of questions, but I think FCC may be your best bet. Good luck.

The College List
There are a couple of FEMA IS courses that are able to be used in the APS, I think these are also credit eligible. I don't know of anyone granting credit for the whole thing.

You could complete a general AS at COSC with the 36 hours in gen ed plus 24 FEMA IS credits....closest thing I know of to what your asking. COSC does take FEMA direct and free if charge....at least for now.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
As far as which colleges accept FEMA, COSC accepts FEMA directly. Excelsior excepts FEMA if the credits are first laundered through Frederick Community College.
[COLOR="#0000FF"] B.S. - COSC (December, 2013) :hurray:
20-Community College Courses (2004-2006)
80-Semester Hours at Western Governors University (2010-2012)
15-Charter Oak State College (2013)
12-CLEP
3-DSST
6-FEMA
If I can do it, ANYONE can do it![/COLOR]
Some of FEMA's butt-in-seat courses are ACE-approved.
ACE CREDIT | The National Guide to College Credit for Workforce Training
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Is there a list of which FEMA courses COSC will take?
JTP Wrote:Is there a list of which FEMA courses COSC will take?
http://em-study.com/emsfema/article.php?...icle_id=62
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:Printable Course List

@Sanatone fantastic!
COSC follows FCC's credit guidelines, essentially anything that indicates college credit on the FEMA IS website should be eligible for credit.

Some other schools that accept FEMA credit in one form or another include:

Charter Oak
Excelsior
Bellhaven (or is it Bellview?)
AMU/APU
Red Rocks CC in Colorado
Clakamus CC in Oregon
Guam CC...though you basically have to be in Guam to take advantage of the program.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Systems Engineering Certification NotJoeBiden 3 296 03-31-2024, 02:11 AM
Last Post: Chimera
  Cheapest Dual Enrollment For Advanced Math the_epic_man 3 399 01-11-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Yenisei
  Salvaging FEMA credits CaughtInTheRye12 6 542 12-28-2023, 11:57 PM
Last Post: CaughtInTheRye12
  UK - Professional certificate - 69£ Imbanewbie 2 517 12-04-2023, 10:41 PM
Last Post: Johann
  Cambridge Certification Authority ? pluggingalong 5 865 09-01-2023, 08:28 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Google IT Support Professional Certificate - ACE expiring soon? lumina 12 1,552 03-03-2023, 07:34 PM
  edx - Ec Council- Professional Certificate in Cybersecurity Essentials Imbanewbie 5 1,133 02-24-2023, 01:41 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Google Project Management: Professional Certificate midnite123 5 1,667 10-06-2022, 07:46 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  Excelsior Professional Development Courses (Non-Credit) BBryant165 5 1,564 08-29-2022, 11:05 PM
  Anybody taken any certification exams (CPA, CIA, CFE, etc.)? kevinmane 9 2,418 08-21-2022, 11:19 PM
Last Post: lisarox