Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FIN-301, MAN-210, MAR-201 Equivalent through Sophia?
(05-18-2022, 03:24 PM)javabeanstudio Wrote:
(05-18-2022, 03:08 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Why apply to so many schools?

I wanted to see if there would be a significant difference in what they would give me as transfer credits from my AAS degree. So far there has been some significant variation.

I also noticed that the classes are different. Some are much more/less marketing focused vs. general business focused. And the way classes are handled are different at different schools. 

I liked the idea of a NJ school originally since I thought they might be more helpful with any internship or job placement services since they are nearby. I don't know if this is really going to make a difference though and I think William Patterson which has a good reputation might be a little spendy and take longer.

In all cases I was able to apply without any application fee so there was really no loss.

Your list includes a lot of good schools.

William Patterson University and POST University will both take Study.com and other ACE courses. You will be on your own to come up with a degree plan and figure out which courses will transfer. I would suggest getting preapproval from admisstrators before taking courses.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(05-18-2022, 03:34 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Have you listed out what courses you've completed? I don't see them in this thread. With an AAS you could easily complete UMPI in 6 months or less even with needing to take some classes from ACE partners. We can get you really close to the 90 transfer credits no problem. Internships are tough with online programs. They're not super common for some reason. Job placement is also tricky with online programs. There are people on LinkedIn who run businesses where they help with your resume, interviews, setting up your LinkedIn profile to hiring, etc. Something to really consider.

I haven't taken any courses toward the BSBA through any of the colleges nor through ACE partners.

So far each college that has accepted my transfer credits has applied them in a different way. 

I am still waiting on UMPI, William Patterson and Post to do the academic evaluation so I can see how many transfer credits they are willing to grant and what I will have left to take. 

I have started a spreadsheet for TESU, SNHU, WGU and Capella. That was the reason for my original question in this thread. I am trying to map out classes for each college -- what will transfer, what I can take at an ACE partner, what I need to take through the college.
(05-18-2022, 03:43 PM)javabeanstudio Wrote:
(05-18-2022, 03:34 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Have you listed out what courses you've completed? I don't see them in this thread. With an AAS you could easily complete UMPI in 6 months or less even with needing to take some classes from ACE partners. We can get you really close to the 90 transfer credits no problem. Internships are tough with online programs. They're not super common for some reason. Job placement is also tricky with online programs. There are people on LinkedIn who run businesses where they help with your resume, interviews, setting up your LinkedIn profile to hiring, etc. Something to really consider.

I haven't taken any courses toward the BSBA through any of the colleges nor through ACE partners.

So far each college that has accepted my transfer credits has applied them in a different way. 

I am still waiting on UMPI, William Patterson and Post to do the academic evaluation so I can see how many transfer credits they are willing to grant and what I will have left to take. 

I have started a spreadsheet for TESU, SNHU, WGU and Capella. That was the reason for my original question in this thread. I am trying to map out classes for each college -- what will transfer, what I can take at an ACE partner, what I need to take through the college.

If you list what you've already completed at a college we can give you a rough idea for UMPI. They're really liberal in accepting credits. You'll have to take a minimum of 30 credits at UMPI. Sounds worse than it is. Most people are done in 1-2 sessions so 8-16 weeks. We'll get you as close to the 90 transfer credits as possible with ACE credits. If you haven't taken a foreign language or lab science those the 2 things that most people seem to struggle with. They can be completed a few different ways. How many credits have you already completed?
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • Vle045
javabeanstudio Wrote:PLEASE NOTE: I have been accepted to the following schools for a BSBA with concentration in Marketing:
  • TESU -- will transfer 33 credits of 120
  • SNHU -- will transfer 55 credits of 121
  • WGU -- will transfer 30 credits of 121
  • Capella -- will transfer 87 quarter credits of 180
  • UMPI -- waiting for academic evaluation 
  • William Patterson University -- waiting for academic evaluation
  • POST University -- waiting for academic evaluation

javabeanstudio Wrote:I haven't taken any courses toward the BSBA through any of the colleges nor through ACE partners.

Awesome, that's what I wanted to read. I also suggest waiting for the UMPI and other schools to come out with an evaluation. I still stand by my previous recommendations though. The main reason is, it really doesn't matter how many credits each institution will grant you for transfer, it's the "cost, energy, time" to finish the degree that matters. From a quick view, TESU/UMPI would be your best bets to get the degree...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(05-18-2022, 03:50 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(05-18-2022, 03:43 PM)javabeanstudio Wrote:

If you list what you've already completed at a college we can give you a rough idea for UMPI. They're really liberal in accepting credits. You'll have to take a minimum of 30 credits at UMPI. Sounds worse than it is. Most people are done in 1-2 sessions so 8-16 weeks. We'll get you as close to the 90 transfer credits as possible with ACE credits. If you haven't taken a foreign language or lab science those the 2 things that most people seem to struggle with. They can be completed a few different ways. How many credits have you already completed?

Classes from my AAS transcript:

ENG102 ENGLISH COMP II 3.00 TRANSFER AP CREDIT
ENG209 ADVANCED COMPOSITION 3.00 TRANSFER AP CREDIT 
VIS111 BASIC DRAWING 3.00 
VIS123 HISTORY OF MODERN ART 3.00 
VIS114 THREE-DIMENSIONAL DESIGN 3.00 
VIS113 TWO-DIMENSIONAL DESIGN 3.00 
'VIS118 PROD PROC ADV DESIGN 2.00 
VIS125 COMPUTER ART (2D) 3.00 
VIS112 LIFE DRAWING 3.00 
VIS110 TYPOGRAPHY I 3.00 
DPR107 COMPUTER CONCEPTS 3.00 
VIS160 ADVERTISING DESIGN I 3.00 
VIS261 ADVERTISING DESIGN II 3.00 
VIS171 INTRODUCTION TO PHOTOGRAPHY 3.00 
VIS210 TYPOGRAPHY: DESKTOP PUBLISHING 3.00 
MAT107 CONCEPTS OF MATHEMATICS 3.00 
VIS121 HISTORY OF ART I 3.00 
VIS264 ADVERTISING DESIGN III: PORTFOLIO 3.00 
SSC201 THE HOLOCAUST 3.00 
SOC101 INTRODUCTION TO SOCIOLOGY 3.00 
HPE110 CONCEPTS OF HEALTH AND FITNESS 2.00 
VIS280 ILLUSTRATION I 3.00 

GPA 3.862
Credits 64.00
Is your AAS in graphic design? You've got some super fun classes!

Do you know if you received a 3, 4, or 5 on the AP English exam? I'm looking up some UMPI info for you. Smile
(05-18-2022, 04:08 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Is your AAS in graphic design? You've got some super fun classes!

The AAS was called Advertising Design but basically it was graphic design. And I have a 5 on the AP English Exam. I requested the transcript to make sure.

I have moved up the creative ranks over the years and never found a lack of a bachelors degree holding me back when I was in advertising at an ad agency. I moved over to corporate in-house design (7yrs ago for better work life balance) and all of a sudden I can't get a promotion or even another job at the same level somewhere else without a bachelors. 

So I thought if I'm going to go back to school I would like to widen my employment appeal by learning the business/marketing side of advertising. Then I can combine my creative and business sides and (hopefully) find a great new position.
[-] The following 1 user Likes javabeanstudio's post:
  • ss20ts
Here's my rough idea of what you'd need at UMPI. This is just a rough idea. Do not panic! It's not all about how many credits transfer from a previous degree. It's about how quickly you can complete the ACE courses and get started at UMPI. The BABA Marketing Concentration can be completed in 2 sessions.

Sophia:
Macroeconomics
Microeconomics
Spanish 1 (or InstantCert)
Environmental Science
Introduction to Ethics
US History 1 or 2
Accounting
Principles of Management

InstantCert:
American Government
Spanish 1
Managerial Accounting
Principles of Marketing

Study.com:
Communications 120 Presentations Skills in the Workplace
Biology 101L Intro to Biology with Lab or Chemistry 111L Chemistry I with Lab
Business 303 Management Information Systems
Business 310 Advanced Business Ethics
Business 110 Business Mathematics
Business 309 Digital Marketing & Advertising

And this is what I think you'll have left at UMPI after completing those ACE courses:
YourPace Orientation (Everyone has to take this. It's 0 credits and about an hour long.)
BUS200
BUS325
BUS440
BUS469
BUS219
BUS261
BUS307
BUS337
BUS430
BUS433
(05-18-2022, 04:36 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Here's my rough idea of what you'd need at UMPI. This is just a rough idea. Do not panic! It's not all about how many credits transfer from a previous degree. It's about how quickly you can complete the ACE courses and get started at UMPI. The BABA Marketing Concentration can be completed in 2 sessions.

Sophia:
Macroeconomics
Microeconomics
Spanish 1 (or InstantCert)
Environmental Science
Introduction to Ethics
US History 1 or 2
Accounting
Principles of Management

InstantCert:
American Government
Spanish 1
Managerial Accounting
Principles of Marketing

Study.com:
Communications 120 Presentations Skills in the Workplace
Biology 101L Intro to Biology with Lab or Chemistry 111L Chemistry I with Lab
Business 303 Management Information Systems
Business 310 Advanced Business Ethics
Business 110 Business Mathematics
Business 309 Digital Marketing & Advertising

And this is what I think you'll have left at UMPI after completing those ACE courses:
YourPace Orientation (Everyone has to take this. It's 0 credits and about an hour long.)
BUS200
BUS325
BUS440
BUS469
BUS219
BUS261
BUS307
BUS337
BUS430
BUS433

Thanks - this is really interesting. Seems like there are a number of classes I would hate (environmental, chem, 2 history classes) LOL.
I remember briefly talking to the recruiter about a language credit and she said that there is a chance if I took HS Spanish (3 years) I might not need to take the language requirement. Is that something you might have heard about? I have a HS transcript but my HS just sent it to me directly. I'd have to have them send it to the college now.
The enrollment counselors don't know squat about the YourPace program. They're not UMPI employees. They're a third party contractor.

I have not seen anyone in YourPace transfer in high school credit for a foreign language except an AP exam.

It's only 1 history course! You only need 1. Some people have a preference for the period of time they study. Sophia courses are NOTHING like college courses. I finished Macroeconomics in 3 days on Sophia. Environmental Science took like 2 days because I was binge watching Netflix. ACE courses can be completed really quickly compared to typical college courses. Chem is an option. You need a lab science. Bio and Chem on Study are the best options. They utilize a virtual lab which is faster and easier than the alternatives.

If you spend 2 sessions at UMPI it will cost you $2800 no matter how many courses you complete there. You can also take more courses at UMPI and fewer ACE courses if you want. Just a little something to think about. UMPI tuition isn't per credit. There are no additional fees. No textbooks either. Everything you need is included in the course content on the learning platform. Even graduation is free! I was just looking at a school that charges $250 for graduation. I was like are you for real? LOL

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sophia to TESU Carnation 3 498 12-27-2023, 05:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Troubles with Sophia Transfer (Science & History) poisonedapple 5 622 12-27-2023, 11:34 AM
Last Post: poisonedapple
  Sophia Intro to Networking Transfer Niketay 11 1,020 08-03-2023, 03:48 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Sophia US Gov for Civic Engagement GE? PLEX 3 558 07-31-2023, 02:58 AM
  Duplicating a Sophia Class dillpickles 8 498 07-11-2023, 07:52 AM
Last Post: dillpickles
  SOPHIA ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE TRANSFER HELP mt_1994 5 837 05-18-2023, 03:00 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Confirmation Sophia's American Government transferred into TESU as POS-110 CanICode 3 642 05-16-2023, 10:38 AM
Last Post: jeremyminni
  Sophia programming course gams007 0 455 03-15-2023, 09:21 PM
Last Post: gams007
  Sophia Business Communication - TESU COM-202 Intro to Business Communications BSLIONS 0 591 02-21-2023, 03:23 PM
Last Post: BSLIONS
  Sophia Intro to Nutrition Insert Name 15 2,064 11-14-2022, 12:09 PM