Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FREE course from Sophia Learning now through March 31st!
Hi Everyone,

There's a discussion on this at http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...ement.html , but I wanted to make a new thread to ensure it doesn't get overlooked by anyone who may be interested. Forum member Passit1 was exploring Sophia Learning, and found an awesome deal.

Sophia Learning has a coupon code for a FREE course. It says it's valid for the first 500 people only, and expires March 31st. The catch is that Capella University will try to recruit you to enroll with them. The coupon code is CB2014 . The details are available at https://onlinecourses.sophia.org/home .

Sophia Learning is sort of like StraighterLine, in the sense that they're not an actual college but offer online courses for college credit. However, their usual price is much higher than StraighterLine, or Penn Foster, or many of the other credit sources frequently mentioned on this forum.

The list of ACE credit-recommended courses is available at ACE CREDIT | The National Guide to College Credit for Workforce Training . Even with the course being free, you'll still need to pay for the ACE transcript. I enrolled in the Project Management course, and was able to begin the course immediately. Purchasing a textbook was neither needed nor even suggested; their materials are all on their website. It's quick, too; I'm already half way through the course.

If you're willing to put up with some recruitment efforts from Capella in order to save money on tuition, then this is an option to consider.
I signed up for Macroeconomics a couple of hours ago because I'm going to need it for the BSBA.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
hmm, signed up for
English Composition I
it is ACE accredited, but I doubt any of the big 3 will accept it for meeting the composition requirement

we shall see
How do the Sophia courses transfer to TESC - as a grade or "cr"? I wouldn't mind taking business, accounting, ir macroeconomics. However, I don't want to risk my GPA either since I'm on the fence of where I am comfortable having it.
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
I signed up for their statistics class. I need that class, so it's worth a shot.
Soonersiren Wrote:I signed up for their statistics class. I need that class, so it's worth a shot.

I totally missed that one! I'd love to replace my grade in statistics. I wonder how that would work though since Sophia would be different from where I originally took statistics? I'm at TESC. I'm guessing the new class would push the old class off my degree plan and into the "other courses", but both grades would count towards my G.P.A.? Can anyone confirm if that is correct?
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
SweetSecret Wrote:How do the Sophia courses transfer to TESC - as a grade or "cr"? I wouldn't mind taking business, accounting, ir macroeconomics. However, I don't want to risk my GPA either since I'm on the fence of where I am comfortable having it.

GPAs never transfer to TESC. Everything will be "CR." Only TESC courses count toward your TESC GPA.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
sanantone Wrote:GPAs never transfer to TESC. Everything will be "CR." Only TESC courses count toward your TESC GPA.

What about for overall GPA though, for example in applying to graduate school?

Also, incase anyone is looking for upper-level credits, I just noticed that the project management course Sophia has is considered an upper-level course through ACE.
SweetSecret Wrote:What about for overall GPA though, for example in applying to graduate school?

Also, incase anyone is looking for upper-level credits, I just noticed that the project management course Sophia has is considered an upper-level course through ACE.

Since Sophia and ACE aren't schools, then you don't need to send those transcripts.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Just tried to sign up, but couldn't. A message indicating that the code wasn't valid appeared. I don't know if it's human error, or if 500 folks have already signed up for a course.
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  March 2024 - News, News, and more News! bjcheung77 5 484 04-16-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Credit Banking & cheap/free credits - Asking for a friend SweetSecret 7 1,522 04-06-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: Rubeferry18
Lightbulb ASU to Launch a Free Global Initiative and enroll 100 million students MNomadic 203 30,136 03-11-2024, 10:55 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Free or affordable Christian Chaplaincy Online Sowak777 4 451 02-21-2024, 06:39 AM
Last Post: The need 2 learn
  MBA students receive free Apple Vision Pro Imbanewbie 0 299 02-07-2024, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  U.S. News will rank distance learning programs in business, IT and other fields LevelUP 1 283 01-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Spanish - Learning website security breach bjcheung77 1 1,101 12-24-2023, 01:15 AM
Last Post: Johann
  Free Course Jacksonville State University a_dblu 56 9,946 11-19-2023, 07:30 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  TEL Learning? faptaincrunch 9 1,348 11-09-2023, 03:31 AM
Last Post: suzume
  SOPHIA----Opinions on courses??? midnite123 19 1,703 11-01-2023, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Duneranger