Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FSCJ Financial Aid
I start school Monday. However, I found out last week my financial aid is still under review because I haven't submitted my husband's tax return transcript. I'm upset because I submitted my application for financial aid back in June and was never told anything about needing it. But how am I suppose to go about getting funding or his information if we are currently separated?
nicoleb933 Wrote:I start school Monday. However, I found out last week my financial aid is still under review because I haven't submitted my husband's tax return transcript. I'm upset because I submitted my application for financial aid back in June and was never told anything about needing it. But how am I suppose to go about getting funding or his information if we are currently separated?
You can file a special circumstance agreement with the school. Start there. Did you file separate returns for 2014?
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
Yes we did
Try to amend the application and link electronically to the return in question.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
nicoleb933 Wrote:Yes we did

Since you filed seperate returns and do not live together, explain to financial aid this and your husbands returns should be irrelevant.
MA in progress
AAS & AGS
videogamesrock Wrote:Since you filed seperate returns and do not live together, explain to financial aid this and your husbands returns should be irrelevant.

They said that I needed proof that we are separated. However we don't have joint anything so I have no idea how to go about doing that.
nicoleb933 Wrote:They said that I needed proof that we are separated. However we don't have joint anything so I have no idea how to go about doing that.

Explain to them that the reason why you filed separate returns is because you are separated.
MA in progress
AAS & AGS
Can you draft a legal separation? Is your husband willing to sign one if you presented it to him?

Here's something I found using google. I hope it helps:

FinAid | Financial Aid Applications | Head of Household
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
FinAid | Professional Judgment | Divorce and Separation

According to this, you do not need documentation of informal separation. I've worked with many awful financial aid representatives that had me gather lots of unnecessary documentation over the past few years (they are poorly trained and as Trump would say, stupid, stupid people). Just explain that you have an informal separation and the tax forms prove that you two are not together. Insist on speaking to a supervisor preferrable one with a degree.

For example, the College of Southern Nevada wanted my wife to use her 2012 Canadian tax returns and convert the income to U.S. dollars to compute her financial aid. This school at the time hired by far the dumbest people to work there with little to no education . A few weeks later they school was fined for botching tens of thousands of financial aid over the past few years (underpaying and overpaying). It turned out since she was not required to file U.S. taxes in 2012, she could not provide a U.S. tax return, and therefore the application should have just been processed then and there. As for education requirements for working in many schools financial aid department, they are looking for GED's and up.
MA in progress
AAS & AGS

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UMPI---Financial aid??? midnite123 4 707 01-15-2023, 04:00 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  Financial Aid Conspiracy Alpha 5 1,140 10-07-2022, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  1 More Year to Use Financial Aid for Foreign Online Programs sanantone 1 581 06-15-2022, 08:22 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Financial aid for on-line study in England? Pelican 7 931 06-15-2022, 07:49 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  How to Secure Last-Minute Financial Aid for College LevelUP 2 518 04-23-2022, 11:40 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Financial aid for ACE credits ---> TESU? CourtneyBrooke 11 1,382 01-31-2022, 04:36 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Financial Aid? Mil0 16 2,530 06-25-2019, 08:29 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Passed CLEP Financial Accounting with a 65!!! mecurtis 4 1,523 02-06-2019, 04:15 PM
Last Post: ericamead21
  Is there Financial Aide for credit by exam? RaheemJamaal 5 1,486 09-04-2018, 10:47 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Deciding on an order/financial aid/new here gingermama 10 2,289 04-16-2018, 03:38 PM
Last Post: dfrecore