Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FYI: American Military Universit (AMU) says they'll accept ALEKS for undergrad!
Here is my email to and from the AMU Transfer Credit Department: I'm so happy!!

Sent: Sunday, April 26, 2009 4:08 PM
To: creditaward@apus.edu
Cc: Me
Subject: Question about equivalencies for math/statistics credit (Tracking ID:499696)

Transfer Credit Department:

I am wondering if AMU accepts credits from ALEKS (http://www.aleks.com), since several of their algebra and statistics courses have been awarded ACE credit.

Please see the Word documents I attached-- these are screenshots of the information about the ACE-evaluated ALEKS courses that I got today from the ACE website (http://www.acenet.edu).

My specific questions as they pertain to my degree path are as follows:

1. For my Business Administration degree, I am required to take MATH110 College Algebra. Would any of the ALEKS courses listed on the attached Word document "ALEKS Algebra Descriptions" be accepted by AMU to fulfill this MATH110 requirement? If so, please tell me which ones would work.

2. I am also required to take MATH302 Statistics for my degree. Would either of the ALEKS courses listed on the attached Word document "ALEKS Statistics Descriptions" fulfill that MATH302 course requirement?

Please let me know!

Thank you in advance for your help!

Respectfully,

MCunningham
Bachelor's - Business Administration (General)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: MCunningham
Sent: Wednesday, April 29, 2009 7:52:03 AM
Subject: RE: Question about equivalencies for math/statistics credit (Tracking ID:499696)

Good Morning,

Thank you for your email. We have reviewed the ALEKS courses and the ACE Credit Recommendations for both courses. The ALEKS Beginning Algebra course is equivalent to AMU course MA108. Although MA108 is a Mathematics course, it is not advanced enough to meet the General Education Mathematics Requirement and therefore is elective credit only.

The ALEKS course Introduction to Statistics is not equivalent to AMU course MC306. Based on the description for the ALEKS course it is a basic introductory course for statistics. MC306 is ot an introductory statistics course as it covers more advanced topics. IT cannot be fulfilled with an introductory course.

Please understand we always want to award the most credit possible, but we must follow the policy and procedure set forth by our accrediting bodies and our academics department.

For more information on the Transfer Credit Department; its policies and frequently asked questions, please visit the Transfer Credit Evaluation Center at Military Transfer Credit | Earn Credit for Military Training and Experience.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact your student advisor at counseling@apus.edu or the Transfer Credit Department at the address below.

Thank You

Department of Transfer Credit
10110 Battleview Parkway, Suite 114
Manassas, VA 20109
877 468 6268 ext 4000
creditaward@apus.edu

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Wednesday, April 29, 2009 9:07 AM
To: Credit Award
Cc: Me
Subject: Re: Question about equivalencies for math/statistics credit (Tracking ID:499696)

Transfer Credit Department:

Thank you for your response, but I don't believe that you saw everything that I attached in my first email, so I'm re-attaching the course descriptions from ALEKS.

My Algebra Question

If you look at the Word document entitled "ALEKS Algebra Descriptions", there are actually 4 course descriptions on there:

A. ALEK-0001 Beginning Algebra
B. ALEK-0002 Intermediate Algebra
C. ALEK-0003 College Algebra
D. ALEK-0004 College Algebra with Trigonometry

So, my question with regard to these 4 math courses is as follows: will any of these math courses be equivalent to and be able to fulfill my MATH110 College Algebra requirement at AMU? (Obviously you said that ALEK-0001 is not equivalent, but that leaves the other 3 for me to follow up about.) I'd like to know the lowest-level course possible to meet that requirement, since Math is not my strength and I'd prefer not to set myself up for failure!

My Statistics Question

Similarly, there are actually two course descriptions on the "ALEKS Statistics Descriptions" Word document attached here.

E. ALEK-0007 Introduction to Statistics
F. ALEK-0008 Business Statistics

I understand that you have determined that the ALEK-0007 Introduction to Statistics course would not meet my MATH302 Statistics requirement at AMU, but what about the second course, the ALEK-0008 Business Statistics?

Please let me know as soon as possible!

Thank you!

MCunningham
Bachelor's - Business Administration (General)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

To: MCunningham
Sent: Thursday, April 30, 2009 7:57:18 AM
Subject: RE: Question about equivalencies for math/statistics credit (Tracking ID:499696)

Good Morning,

We have reviewed the provided course descriptions. The course College Algebra ALEK-0003 is acceptable as MA112 and is applicable to the General Education Mathematics section. The course Business Statistics ALEK-0008 is equivalent to MC306 and is applicable to your Core requirements.

Please be advised, following completion of the courses, you will need to request an official transcript from ACE be sent to AMU for evaluation. The ACE transcript will include the ACE Credit Recommendations for the completed courses.

If you would like to send in your official transcript to be reviewed by our Transfer Credit Department, please submit a “TCE Update Request” form. This form can be found under the FORMS MENU once you click on the OTHER FORMS link. Please note that there is no additional charge for this service. Also, it is the STUDENT’S responsibility to provide official transcripts for the TCE Update. Please have official transcripts sent to:

APUS

Attn: Transcripts
Manassas, VA 20109

Military documents, certificates, CLEP/DSST test results and other non transcript documents may be faxed to 307.724.3788.

For more information on the Transfer Credit Department; its policies and frequently asked questions, please visit the Transfer Credit Evaluation Center at Military Transfer Credit | Earn Credit for Military Training and Experience.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact your student advisor at counseling@apus.edu or the Transfer Credit Department at the address below.

Thank You

Department of Transfer Credit
Manassas, VA 20109
877 468 6268 ext 4000
creditaward@apus.edu
Working towards a BA in Business Administration at AMU

Tests Taken:
CLEP Humanities (2002) - passed
CLEP English w/Composition (2002) - passed
CLEP Biology (2005) - passed w/ a 56
CLEP US History I (2006) - passed w/ a 66
CLEP US History II (2009) - passed w/ a 71
CLEP English Literature (2009) - passed w/ a 69
CLEP Introductory Psychology (2009) - passed w/ a 66
DANTES Human Resource Management (2009) - passed w/ a 70
DANTES Organizational Behavior (2009) - passed w/ a 70
CLEP Macroeconomics (2009) - passed w/ a 66
CLEP Microeconomics (2009) - passed w/ a 62

[SIZE="2"][SIZE="3"]Done with testing as of July 2009, now on to coursework![/SIZE][/SIZE] :o
Really good news for the Military community.
CCAF-AS Logistics Management
CCAF-AS Bio-Environmental Science
Cerro Coso Community College-AS Administration of Justice
Excelsior College-BS Criminal Justice-2008
TESC-BA Liberal Studies-2009
2 Different Bachelor Degrees completed in under 2 years!
Great news! Gotta love Aleks!
"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion."~ Henry David

BA Humanities - TESC
AAS Construction and Facilities Support - TESC
AA Interior Design - MCC
AA LS - MCC
Certificate Interior Design - MCC
Certificate Management - MCC

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  American Legion research study Alpha 3 1,502 10-28-2022, 07:42 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  opinion on military school for ADHD teen EducationSeeker 18 2,930 10-14-2022, 02:22 PM
Last Post: martamarti
  ACE credit for possible military enlistment? dfrecore 33 5,583 05-27-2020, 09:59 PM
Last Post: anewmanx
  Have a military education exit strategy. vetvso 26 5,537 05-07-2020, 10:11 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  20% off Coopersmith for Active Military Zachcleigh 0 1,775 12-04-2019, 12:37 PM
Last Post: Zachcleigh
  AMU Reducing Military-Affiliated Master's Tuition to $250/credit (and free books) TheMaskedMutant 1 1,875 11-22-2019, 12:16 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Military Residency Requirement natshar 3 1,925 07-08-2019, 11:13 AM
Last Post: natshar
  Military waiver for residency charge at tesu Zachcleigh 4 2,259 05-09-2019, 07:59 AM
Last Post: ECH90
  TESU database of military credits? dfrecore 8 3,360 02-14-2019, 01:00 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  DraftKings Partners With VetsinTech to Offer Free Coding Training to Ex-Military Memb decimon 0 2,091 06-14-2018, 09:08 PM
Last Post: decimon