Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Family Moves to Russia to Escape Woke LGBTQ Ideology, But It Doesn't Go Very Well
Hitting two recurring themes on DegreeForum Off Topic: Culture wars and expat life.

The Daily Mirror Wrote:Arend and Anneesa Feenstra couldn't stand the "woke" LGBTQ ideology being thrown in their faces everywhere they went in the small, rural town in Ontario, Canada, where they were living. So, the couple packed their bags, grabbed their eight children and moved to Russia, where they hoped things would be better for them.

The couple has now come to [somewhat] regret their decision. Though Russia has some of the strictest anti-gay laws in the world, the family has encountered lots of other problems in the rural farming town in which they now reside. After selling their Canadian farm, the couple has been [initially] unable to access the money from it, as their new Russian banks have dubbed the funds "suspicious," the Daily Mail reported. To make matters worse, no one in the family speaks Russian, so they've been unable to communicate with banking authorities who don't speak English or with locals, who also don't speak their language.

The difficulties the couple has faced led Anneesa to post a video to the family's YouTube Channel, Countryside Acres, in which she ranted about the language barrier, the money issues and lots of other things she said have gone wrong since the family arrived in the Eastern European country.

But the Kremlin reportedly didn't like that. Russia is not a country that protects free speech, and government officials weren't happy with the video that shed such a negative light on their country, imploring the couple to take it down — which they did.

Anti-LGBTQ family who fled to Russia regret decision as locals don't speak English (Jeremiah Hassel, The Daily Mirror, February 24, 2024)
Tell me you didn't do any research before moving to another country without telling me you didn't do any research. Imagine people in Russia speaking Russian. I mean who would have guessed? /sarcasm.
[-] The following 3 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • Dr_Chirp, fmsoa, LevelUP
I suspect before they are allowed to leave without their money hubby will have to do his military service in the killing fields of Ukraine. Darwin at work. Unfortunately they have already bred.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old Guy's post:
  • allvia
This is Russia. What do you notice?

https://twitter.com/stillgray/status/176...5825470746
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
I don't understand. "Canada's pro-LGBTQ ideologies."
Although I don't mind a bit of travel, I would never abandon my country over such a thing. Surely, Canada provides far more opportunities to participate in the body politic than this family will ever find in Russia.
Chief Petty Officer
United States Navy (Retired)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Musings on the Terms "Woke" and "DEI" as applied to Vice President Kamala Harris Charles Fout 3 112 07-25-2024, 11:10 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  How can I ensure the text stays within the container and doesn't overflow? tom22 3 527 08-17-2023, 01:22 AM
Last Post: tom22
  Russia is poised to invade Ukraine bjcheung77 2 697 03-12-2022, 07:36 PM
Last Post: Xyxyfendz
  Olympics: What happened to Russia? bjcheung77 6 912 07-27-2021, 01:54 AM
Last Post: Zo_ey
  These Americans fled the country to escape their giant student debt bluebooger 18 3,250 06-26-2019, 02:43 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Police seize 10 children from homeschooled family. lavagirl 9 1,581 05-27-2015, 07:49 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Concentrating on school in the midst of family crisis. soliloquy 6 1,034 01-06-2014, 08:32 AM
Last Post: Bibby
  2013 Family Economics and Discipleship Conference in St. Louis, MO degree4hbia 0 711 03-25-2013, 02:28 PM
Last Post: degree4hbia
  Who's Going to the 2013 Family Economics and Discipleship Conference in St. Louis, MO degree4hbia 3 1,005 02-25-2013, 02:33 PM
Last Post: starlinghunter
  Is anyone a family history buff? Lindagerr 19 3,489 06-16-2009, 07:46 PM
Last Post: NAP