Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fast/cheap bachelors with lots of low-level classes
(05-11-2021, 04:12 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Finish your InstantCertCredit, Sophia.org, Study.com and then work on your UMPI courses.  You need at minimum 30 credits at UMPI, do those last.  Make sure you apply and get an evaluation from UMPI to see what remaining courses you need before you begin, otherwise you might be taking duplicate courses without a degree plan for reference.  Last step is to plow through those courses and finish them off as effectively and efficiently as possible, multi-task with a secondary monitor if you don't have one already...

Once you apply, you need permission to take further non-UMPI classes. Which I think is silly, but I'm not UMPI...

Personally, I think it would be less hassle and quicker to risk overlapping a course or two than it would be to apply and have to get permission for every single non-UMPI course to be taken.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • EeBee
I agree. I've made a spreadsheet of all the gen eds and with the exception you made (PCJ 215), I'm making sure I have something for every slot plus any of the concentration requirements that are recommended classes outside UMPI for whatever reasons. I'm making sure to leave the bulk of the UL credits (24) for UMPI, though. I don't how to make a signature but I started today on the credit path. I lurked here for a long time, this place is a miracle for someone like me!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes EeBee's post:
  • rachel83az
Ouch, I thought UMPI would be like most schools, send everything in before enrolling - most schools allows you to send everything in before you enrol! I would have thought they would be like the Big 3 where you can transfer in as many as you need before or after enrolling, or similar CBE's where they would limit the amount of transfers or restrict them after you have enrolled. Anyways, get all your credits in the best you can before you apply and start doing any courses at UMPI.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • EeBee
(05-11-2021, 05:36 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Ouch, I thought UMPI would be like most schools, send everything in before enrolling - most schools allows you to send everything in before you enrol!  I would have thought they would be like the Big 3 where you can transfer in as many as you need before or after enrolling, or similar CBE's where they would limit the amount of transfers or restrict them after you have enrolled.  Anyways, get all your credits in the best you can before you apply and start doing any courses at UMPI.

Yeah, you'd think! But either ss20ts or ashkir said that they count you as enrolled as soon as you are accepted. And you're essentially guaranteed to be accepted after you apply (with a few exceptions, like people who are too young). So that's pretty weird and awkward.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • EeBee
(05-11-2021, 03:55 PM)EeBee Wrote: Hi,

I've been reading about COSC and UMPI on many threads here and think either would do fine especially if I switch to History/Pol Sci. I tutored AP History for years as a side gig so I could probably race through that. While my job prefers a bachelor's related to the filed, it is not *requirement* - just the degree. However, if I want to go up from there, a master's will be required so I will take the advice to not go for the LS.

To finish the UMPI Gen Ed's I think I need:
SOPHIA
ENG 101
HUM 103
Art History
Environmental Science
HIS 106
Business Law
Introduction to Ethics

STC
Bio 105
Organizational Behavior

INSTACERT
American Government

UMPI
PCJ 215
MAT 140

If anyone has any feedback, I would love it. Otherwise, I was planning to start the Study.Com immediately Smile
Thanks!
EB

My advice is take your English Comp classes at UMPI and not on Sophia. Sophia's have far more work to complete and take MUCH longer. The English Comp classes at UMPI are 1 paper - yes 1 paper. Sophia has multiple papers and takes weeks to complete. I completed English Comp 2 at UMPI in something like 3 days. The Final Assessment for English Comp 2 was VERY easy when I took it in the fall. I had already started the Sophia course and was losing my mind over how long it took and how the grading was. 

If you don't have a foreign language, you'll need one for UMPI. You can also take Spanish 1 on InstantCert.
(05-07-2021, 12:37 PM)EeBee Wrote: Hi....

Hi!

I wanted to update & ask for advice. Since posting this, I've been in contact with UMPI, finished Environmental Science (InstantCert), History 104 (Study.com), almost done with Quantitative Math (ALEKS) and started Bio + Lab (Study.com). I have an admissions conference w/UMPI next Wednesday and I'm trying to have everything done before the admissions deadline.

The question: how important is WHAT you get the degree in? I will have 105 credits and the easiest UMPI degree for me (that isn't terminal) is a B.A. History. From there, I'm going to want a Master's (now that I see how possible it is) and I wonder about the BA before an MAOL or MBA. Is that doable or would I need to switch to a BBA?

Thank you so much for your willingness to share and mentor :Smile
It ultimately depends on your career goals. If you want a business masters to work as a manager in an office or something like that, doing a business undergrad degree isn't strictly required but it can be useful. The undergrad degree will cover topics that might otherwise be missed before you get to the masters level.

Also, consider what would happen if life were somehow to get in the way and your Master's degree were somehow put on hold for a while. Would you be comfortable being "stuck" with a history degree for a couple of years? (Not that there is anything wrong with history at all but it doesn't necessarily fit everyone's goals.)
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
(05-27-2021, 07:49 PM)EeBee Wrote:

Hi!

I wanted to update & ask for advice. Since posting this, I've been in contact with UMPI, finished Environmental Science (InstantCert), History 104 (Study.com), almost done with Quantitative Math (ALEKS) and started Bio + Lab (Study.com). I have an admissions conference w/UMPI next Wednesday and I'm trying to have everything done before the admissions deadline.

The question: how important is WHAT you get the degree in? I will have 105 credits and the easiest UMPI degree for me (that isn't terminal) is a B.A. History. From there, I'm going to want a Master's (now that I see how possible it is) and I wonder about the BA before an MAOL or MBA. Is that doable or would I need to switch to a BBA?

You do not have to get a business degree to get an MBA - but I would highly suggest taking the courses in the business core to become familiar with the subjects (higher level courses would be that much harder with zero knowledge of the material going in).

For the MAOL, I don't think you need all of the business core, but some of it would be helpful: General Management, Organizational Behavior, Stats, Business Comm, etc.  For the courses listed, there are a lot already on Study.com, and it wouldn't hurt a bit to take the courses there (even if not for credit) just so you get the "lingo" down before starting.

For both, knowing the "language of business" before you start makes it easier.  It just gives you a head start on the courses.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(05-28-2021, 11:58 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(05-27-2021, 07:49 PM)EeBee Wrote:

Hi!

You do not have to get a business degree to get an MBA - but I would highly suggest taking the courses in the business core to become familiar with the subjects (higher level courses would be that much harder with zero knowledge of the material going in).

For the MAOL, I don't think you need all of the business core, but some of it would be helpful: General Management, Organizational Behavior, Stats, Business Comm, etc.  For the courses listed, there are a lot already on Study.com, and it wouldn't hurt a bit to take the courses there (even if not for credit) just so you get the "lingo" down before starting.

For both, knowing the "language of business" before you start makes it easier.  It just gives you a head start on the courses.

Thank you, I'll definitely do that. This is great advice - The deadline for application seems to be the day I have to finish anything I'd want to transfer in and that's kind of nerve-wracking for making such a big decision. I am lucky you all are willing to share your experience - imagine doing this from scratch?????
(05-12-2021, 01:11 PM)You have saved another student!!! I started my first semester at UMPI Today!!! II decided to go with BA BA and somewhere in this thread are my original credits. I was able to get 4 non-credit professional courses accepted because since I took those classes, they are now offered for credit in the business school with similar descriptions. WIN! I am  VERY overwhlemed at the end paper component which is HUGE compared to taking a final and I have no idea how strict this is and the first one I got was WELL ABOVE the class contents but...Anyway,I know there\s a collection of UMPI transfer credit evaluations and I would like to add mine but I don't know how. I'm so grateful for this forum!!! Wrote:
(05-11-2021, 03:55 PM)EeBee Wrote: Hi,

I've been reading about COSC and UMPI on many threads here and think either would do fine especially if I switch to History/Pol Sci. I tutored AP History for years as a side gig so I could probably race through that. While my job prefers a bachelor's related to the filed, it is not *requirement* - just the degree. However, if I want to go up from there, a master's will be required so I will take the advice to not go for the LS.

To finish the UMPI Gen Ed's I think I need:
SOPHIA
ENG 101
HUM 103
Art History
Environmental Science
HIS 106
Business Law
Introduction to Ethics

STC
Bio 105
Organizational Behavior

INSTACERT
American Government

UMPI
PCJ 215
MAT 140

If anyone has any feedback, I would love it. Otherwise, I was planning to start the Study.Com immediately Smile
Thanks!
EB

My advice is take your English Comp classes at UMPI and not on Sophia. Sophia's have far more work to complete and take MUCH longer. The English Comp classes at UMPI are 1 paper - yes 1 paper. Sophia has multiple papers and takes weeks to complete. I completed English Comp 2 at UMPI in something like 3 days. The Final Assessment for English Comp 2 was VERY easy when I took it in the fall. I had already started the Sophia course and was losing my mind over how long it took and how the grading was. 

If you don't have a foreign language, you'll need one for UMPI. You can also take Spanish 1 on InstantCert.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  have ENEB masters, no bachelors or other degree? Times 11 930 04-08-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Bachelors Psychology to Masters advice Nexum 5 440 03-28-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: BELEEMA
Question 40 something would love some guidance on how/where/what Bachelors to get! joyfulhelper 5 301 03-26-2024, 10:44 PM
Last Post: Hotdogman1
  Associates after Bachelors? 2nd Bachelors aslhou 16 663 03-25-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Need to finish up fast channaleah 6 572 03-17-2024, 01:35 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  How to get a Software Engineering, Data, or CS degree for cheap in 2024? awildstudentappeared 6 688 03-12-2024, 01:30 AM
Last Post: awildstudentappeared
  Please help! Looking to obtain Bachelors in 6months or less! Currently have 75hrs. SeanC86 9 599 03-11-2024, 11:38 AM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Fast and Easy Associates Degree XNutty98 18 1,003 03-06-2024, 12:30 PM
Last Post: The need 2 learn
  Tired of being bad at math and looking to enroll in online math classes for credit xor 9 574 02-26-2024, 12:32 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Need a plan to get an Associates fast and cheap smartiepants35 14 1,571 02-26-2024, 01:44 AM
Last Post: smartiepants35