Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Federal Income Taxation TECEP Advice
pandas4eva Wrote:The way TECEPs are set up, they are separated into "sections." You must work on one section at a time, and you cannot skip between sections. Once you have completed and submitted a section, you cannot go back to it.

The Federal Income Taxation TECEP has 5 sections:
1- 20 multiple choice
2- Four 5point computational problems
3- Three 6/8point computational problems
4- Two 10point computational/matching problems
5- Two 10point computational problems

Be prepared to work through the exam in this order!

Well damn, that's not cool. I don't think these should lock you into a set order. Still not worried about this exam anymore. I don't see me having an issue getting 60 points. The multiple choice should be relatively easy. The computational problems should all be mostly easy except for a partnership type question. I have a lot of exposure to Income tax for individuals plus I am taking the regular CC course for it right now.
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax
Quick update: I (FINALLY) received my score back today - 72% and CR on my evaluation!

Now I'm off to apply for graduation! Big Grin
BSBA GM - TESU, 2017
120 credits applied using CLEP, DSST, Saylor, and TECEP exams - see my bio for exact exams!
This was LITERALLY my last exam for graduation. I'm not sure that I passed! I think that the practice questions were a really poor indicator of the exam. I do not feel confident about this one.
Revitalizing this thread!

Last chance for me to pull in some feedback on this exam. I have the exam ready to be scheduled now. I am prepping my book as I write this. Just looking for anything you can tell me that I can highlight or make specific notes. Please PM me I already have some feedback but always appreciate more.

What are those 10 point computational/matching problems you referred too? There is nothing about them in the description.

FYI I have TECEP B

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
Anyone?? I plan on sitting this exam soon! Looking for any last minute advice.

Anyone know if they do give partial points for computational problems?

Synicaal Wrote:Anyone?? I plan on sitting this exam in about 9 or so hours! Looking for any last minute advice.

Anyone know if they do give partial points for computational problems?

While I do not know this for sure, I do believe they give partial points for the computational problems. As far as the problems go, I remember most of them being about either deductions and finding AGI or TI, or about the head of household filing status. For the deductions/AGI/TI problems, it was usually as simple as plugging the appropriate numbers into a 1040 form. For the head of household problems, some involved calculations, but at least one only involved reading about 5 given scenarios and choosing whether the taxpayer could claim head of household for each one. The matching problems had, for example, 10 items one might find in a business. For each one there was a drop down box with two options: depreciable or not depreciable. Sorry if it's not the best example(it's all I could come up with), but hopefully this helps you better understand the matching ones! I also had one computational problem involving partnership interest that I just could not figure out, even with Pub. 541 (Partnerships). Best of luck!
BSBA GM - TESU, 2017
120 credits applied using CLEP, DSST, Saylor, and TECEP exams - see my bio for exact exams!
I'm wondering how hard this course is I took one of those tax courses that they offer at tax prep places to try to recruit seasonal help hr block , Liberty tax , Jackson Hewitt etc last fall. Didn't end up working at said place because I thought they were very unprofessional. Hopefully this class will be a breeze since I did pass that certification test.
And let the rant start..... well first off I will be e-mailing TESU to have them look over this test version. I found several confusing questions. Not sure if they are typos or just terrible wording. I don't blame the people who fail this test. When you come across questions that are not very clear on what they are looking for you have to concern yourself if you are going to get any points at all. There was two computational questions in a row that specifically asked for AGI, however one was set up to be a question that should be for Itemized deductions. I added this into my answer in case they are using some answer key and not actually paying attention to the questions. 6 points can be a huge swing either way and I guarantee that question is correct for the AGI answer. I even went on in my answer to say this is because this item, this item, this item, and this item would all fall under itemized deductions therefore these would have no bearing on AGI. I guess I get to sit and wait around to get my grade to see how I did.

Okay not to rant about proctoru, so my first proctor was great. We did all the procedures to start. He did have an issue getting the test to launch (I think he was using the wrong password). Finally got it launched and it was time to go. He didn't bother me for the entire time, I even forgot he was there. Now around 2 hours in they did a proctor switch. She wasn't there for more then 20 minutes when she asked me to focus only on the screen. I told her that this was impossible as to the nature of this test and using scratch paper, the textbook and a calculator. She then required me to basically go through the beginning procedures with her. Had me spin my computer around show her my desk/floor. She asked me to do it twice. Then apparently the screen froze and she had to restart the video. Meanwhile my test timer was running out!!! So I told her hey I need to get back to the test you just wasted 10minutes of my test time. Then she tried to get me to remove my text book, and I told her no they are allowed to be used on this exam. This started a couple minute face-off and she seemed stern until I told her the first proctor verified all the materials I was using on this exam so why are you saying this isn't allowed now. At the point she said oh okay sorry go ahead. So not only am I nervous about getting the test results back, now I am worried if somehow my proctoru test got flagged or something. A whole lot of trouble for hopefully my last test with them. I don't think I will get a masters from anywhere that requires proctoru. I want to be done with them for good.

On a side note anyone looking for feedback on the exam send me a PM, I am waiting to see how I did and then I will send it out. I don't want to misinform anyone so I will need to see how I did first. I will tell future takers that this exam will be super hard to actually study for. You will at least want to take a few days to go over whatever materials you have to use and get familiar where things are.

Synicaal Wrote:Okay not to rant about proctoru, so my first proctor was great. We did all the procedures to start. He did have an issue getting the test to launch (I think he was using the wrong password). Finally got it launched and it was time to go. He didn't bother me for the entire time, I even forgot he was there. Now around 2 hours in they did a proctor switch. She wasn't there for more then 20 minutes when she asked me to focus only on the screen. I told her that this was impossible as to the nature of this test and using scratch paper, the textbook and a calculator. She then required me to basically go through the beginning procedures with her. Had me spin my computer around show her my desk/floor. She asked me to do it twice. Then apparently the screen froze and she had to restart the video. Meanwhile my test timer was running out!!! So I told her hey I need to get back to the test you just wasted 10minutes of my test time. Then she tried to get me to remove my text book, and I told her no they are allowed to be used on this exam. This started a couple minute face-off and she seemed stern until I told her the first proctor verified all the materials I was using on this exam so why are you saying this isn't allowed now. At the point she said oh okay sorry go ahead. So not only am I nervous about getting the test results back, now I am worried if somehow my proctoru test got flagged or something. A whole lot of trouble for hopefully my last test with them. I don't think I will get a masters from anywhere that requires proctoru. I want to be done with them for good.

I had a very similar issue with ProctorU earlier this week taking a different TECEP. I couldn't hear the original proctor when she attempted to do the video thing so she turned it off and we proceeded foward just using the chat box. I start my test and eventually notice a lot of movement going on in the chat box. Apparently she had left and it was searching for a new Proctor. Like two people had connected and disconnected before someone finally joined and stayed. At this point at least 10 minutes have passed and she gets on not wanting me not to use my previously approved materials. I told her they were allowed and she had me stop testing so she could check. A few minutes later she's back wanting to redo the room scan. After all of that back and forth I finally get to restart my exam with my materials. I filed a complaint after my exam but have yet to hear anything back yet.
Synicaal Wrote:And let the rant start..... well first off I will be e-mailing TESU to have them look over this test version. I found several confusing questions. Not sure if they are typos or just terrible wording. I don't blame the people who fail this test. When you come across questions that are not very clear on what they are looking for you have to concern yourself if you are going to get any points at all. There was two computational questions in a row that specifically asked for AGI, however one was set up to be a question that should be for Itemized deductions. I added this into my answer in case they are using some answer key and not actually paying attention to the questions. 6 points can be a huge swing either way and I guarantee that question is correct for the AGI answer. I even went on in my answer to say this is because this item, this item, this item, and this item would all fall under itemized deductions therefore these would have no bearing on AGI. I guess I get to sit and wait around to get my grade to see how I did.

Sounds like you got the same exam I did! Big Grin

In fairness sake, it makes sense that the AGI questions were set up with itemized deductions. We know that itemized deductions have no bearing on finding AGI because we actually studied the material. However, for someone who just walked right into the exam without studying, the word "deductions" could cause them to wrongly deduct those items when figuring AGI. I found those questions to be a sneaky wording in an attempt to discern those who know the material and those who don't, but not a typo or incorrect wording. I expected questions like that on a 400-level exam!
BSBA GM - TESU, 2017

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Technical Writing TECEP - My Experience PreLawCoastie 2 612 03-14-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: PreLawCoastie
  Public Speaking TECEP PreLawCoastie 0 162 02-27-2024, 07:23 AM
Last Post: PreLawCoastie
  CLEP Spanish advice? Stanislav 8 489 01-31-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  TECEP FIN-3210 Security Analysis & Portfolio Management fmsoa 2 432 01-18-2024, 04:42 PM
Last Post: CFPhopeful
  TECEP Admissions/Rate my sanity PreLawCoastie 10 920 01-11-2024, 06:05 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Abnormal Psychology TECEP is now available on InstantCert! sgloer 0 267 01-04-2024, 12:27 PM
Last Post: sgloer
  Managerial Comm TECEP saraholson 7 1,586 12-15-2023, 01:23 PM
Last Post: Dosada
  TECEP Federal Income Taxation Kones 9 868 12-13-2023, 09:23 PM
Last Post: Kones
  Help - how to register for TECEP exam? Carnation 4 338 11-23-2023, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Carnation
  Learning in the Digital Age TECEP Avidreader 0 218 11-22-2023, 11:53 AM
Last Post: Avidreader