Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finally passed Stats through Study.com
Well, after years of putting it off, trying to take it through ALEKS, trying to take a Saylor exam...I finally finished my Study.com Statistics course with an 80% overall.  All I can say is WHEW!  AND, I can't quite figure out why I didn't just take the stupid thing sooner!  It was harder in some ways (lots of memorization of vocabulary) and easier in others (less computations than I was expecting).  The final exam was HARD - but I still managed to get a 71%, without a ton of studying (other than actually taking notes, just like I would if it was a regular textbook).  Between writing out all of those vocabulary words, writing down the formulas, and trying to understand what's going on...I wrote almost an entire 70-page notebook of notes.  And all of those 129 quizzes helped as well.  I only needed 56% on the final to pass the course - yes, more than SL would have been, plus it wasn't open notes.  But with the Study.com scholarship, the course was free.

For those who are scared of math but have to take stats for your degree, I say that this is easier to get through than ALEKS.  Much more theory than actual calculations.  You need to understand what you're looking for, but you don't have to do a ton of calculations.  It's just more about understanding what the different things mean than needing a calculator to get through the course.

And for anyone who thinks that you really need to understand stats to get a business degree, I think you're crazy!  Honestly, I worked in the business world for years, including accounting, HR, compensation, and legal, and never once did I use ANY of the info from this course.  It was totally and completely unnecessary to anything I've ever done.  The few things that I MIGHT need for some reason, I could use an excel spreadsheet just as easily, so I think it's rather silly to require this for anything except MAYBE a Finance or Accounting concentration and even then, it's a crapshoot if you're going to use it (maybe if you were to become an actuary?).  Even if you were to use some of the things learned in the course, it would be just as easy for someone to quickly teach you the bare necessities of the particular thing you needed to know, and then show you the spreadsheet.  It really is more than the majority of people need.

Anyway, this was my final course for my degree, so I am finally done, but I'm glad to get my nemesis off my back!  I never have to think about statistics again in my life!
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 11 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • allvia, badooble, cookderosa, eriehiker, Life_One, mc.christi, mudball, Muldoon, Nodaclu, oh.golly.molly, Yenisei
Congrats Smile I agree that a lot of the stats course content is overkill.

(05-14-2018, 01:34 AM)dfrecore Wrote: Anyway, this was my final course for my degree, so I am finally done, but I'm glad to get my nemesis off my back!  I never have to think about statistics again in my life!

Congrats!
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
Congratulations! Glad to hear you completed your degree while helping many along the way.
Congrats!  Statistics are used in finance and economics, that I can confirm, and I think there would be some applications in auditing and perhaps in some accounting analytics.
(05-14-2018, 01:34 AM)dfrecore Wrote: Well, after years of putting it off, trying to take it through ALEKS, trying to take a Saylor exam...I finally finished my Study.com Statistics course with an 80% overall.  All I can say is WHEW!  AND, I can't quite figure out why I didn't just take the stupid thing sooner!  It was harder in some ways (lots of memorization of vocabulary) and easier in others (less computations than I was expecting).  The final exam was HARD - but I still managed to get a 71%, without a ton of studying (other than actually taking notes, just like I would if it was a regular textbook).  Between writing out all of those vocabulary words, writing down the formulas, and trying to understand what's going on...I wrote almost an entire 70-page notebook of notes.  And all of those 129 quizzes helped as well.  I only needed 56% on the final to pass the course - yes, more than SL would have been, plus it wasn't open notes.  But with the Study.com scholarship, the course was free.

For those who are scared of math but have to take stats for your degree, I say that this is easier to get through than ALEKS.  Much more theory than actual calculations.  You need to understand what you're looking for, but you don't have to do a ton of calculations.  It's just more about understanding what the different things mean than needing a calculator to get through the course.

And for anyone who thinks that you really need to understand stats to get a business degree, I think you're crazy!  Honestly, I worked in the business world for years, including accounting, HR, compensation, and legal, and never once did I use ANY of the info from this course.  It was totally and completely unnecessary to anything I've ever done.  The few things that I MIGHT need for some reason, I could use an excel spreadsheet just as easily, so I think it's rather silly to require this for anything except MAYBE a Finance or Accounting concentration and even then, it's a crapshoot if you're going to use it (maybe if you were to become an actuary?).  Even if you were to use some of the things learned in the course, it would be just as easy for someone to quickly teach you the bare necessities of the particular thing you needed to know, and then show you the spreadsheet.  It really is more than the majority of people need.

Anyway, this was my final course for my degree, so I am finally done, but I'm glad to get my nemesis off my back!  I never have to think about statistics again in my life!

Double congratulations!!! First on your pass, and second on your last class!!! WHOO HOOO!!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes cookderosa's post:
  • oh.golly.molly
Congrats!!!!!! Understand what you mean about not needing the info, but that's the way it is for 90% of everything in a bachelor's degree. It's about learning what's out there and being able to relocate that info later, if needed.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Congratulations!!!

I felt exactly the same way about Stats, and similarly as I just finished the last math class I needed last night (ironically scoring exactly the same as you - 71% on the final, and 80% overall).

It feels so good to get the math monkey off your back, doesn't it? Smile
Bachelor of Arts: Psychology - TESU (pending conferral)
120/120 units complete

SPHR (Senior Professional in Human Resources)
Anticipated Completion Date: 3/31/2019

Master of Human Resource Management - CSU Global
Start Date: 7/1/2019
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nodaclu's post:
  • Yenisei
(05-14-2018, 11:10 AM)Nodaclu Wrote: Congratulations!!!

I felt exactly the same way about Stats, and similarly as I just finished the last math class I needed last night (ironically scoring exactly the same as you - 71% on the final, and 80% overall).

It feels so good to get the math monkey off your back, doesn't it? Smile

It really does!  I took forever to finish College Algebra too.  It's one of those things where my brain just doesn't work the same as it did when I was 18.  Trying to take math 30 years after high school graduation is a bit rough.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Nodaclu
Congratulations!!!
Amy
Goal: BA in English at TESU
Completed: 78 B&M credits plus:
Institutes: Ethics
Study.com: Personal Finance, History of the Vietnam War, English Comp I, Intro World Religions, Public Speaking, Intro to Humanities
Shmoop: Bible as Literature, Shakespeare's Plays, Women's Lit, Modernist Lit, Holocaust Lit
TECEP: Technical Writing

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Study.com charged me another month without my consent Livia_Drusila 6 182 Yesterday, 03:57 PM
Last Post: jch
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 40,510 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,638 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 469,373 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 765 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 374 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 1,048 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,924 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 595 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Study Managerial Accounting that Transfers to UMPI Indieblue 0 318 01-25-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Indieblue