Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Financial Aid
Since Excelsior does not participate in the Federal Student Aid Loan program (FAFSA), I can not apply for financial aid in the traditional manner.

Credit by Examination is cheap, but not free. How are you financing your undergrad. or advanced degree. Any suggestions?
Crystal King
BS Liberal Studies 3.87
Preparing for GRE
Goal Master Library Science 2009

Ambition is the Path to success,
Persistence is the vehicle you arrive in.
beckysharp Wrote:Since Excelsior does not participate in the Federal Student Aid Loan program (FAFSA), I can not apply for financial aid in the traditional manner.

Credit by Examination is cheap, but not free. How are you financing your undergrad. or advanced degree. Any suggestions?
are you positive about excelsior? i think the law was recently changed and you may be eligible for financial aid if you go there. i am definitely not sure but thought i had heard something. it could be worth checking out.
Dawn
Taking the Road Less Traveled
The Journey of A Thousand Miles Starts with The First CLEP

BS-Psychology - Excelsior College
Enrolled in the School of Business, BS in Accounting
After MIS I'll be halfway there!
72 CLEP Credits, 21 DSST Credits, 25 ECE Credits (Including Inf Lit), 6 TESC Credits, 2 FEMA Credits = 126 Total
Withholding 6 Credits for Accounting = 120 for Psychology
12 credits completed toward my accounting degree
Thanks, but I just talked to Admissions and they said they were not participating. Also, you need a Federal School code and they are not listed.
Crystal King
BS Liberal Studies 3.87
Preparing for GRE

Did a web search and sure enough Excelsior was mentioned with Federal Student Aid loan programs. So, I called Excelsior again and they have applied but have not been accepted as a partner.Sad
Crystal King
BS Liberal Studies 3.87
Preparing for GRE

I've paid everything in cash. The only exception was the Excelsior $1,000 enrollment fee, which I paid in 6 increments.

I figured out all my expenses for the duration of my stint in school ahead of time so I budgeted accordingly. Total costs for me, including enrollment, study materials (including IC), exam costs, and graduation fee will total under $7,000. That's a bargain for an undergraduate education.

Student loans may not be an option, but perhaps a home equity loan might be a reasonable option. Just a thought...
[SIZE="1"]Ana
[COLOR="DarkRed"]96 credits completed (93 by exam)
BS in General Business, Excelsior College (33 credits remaining)
Next exams: DSST Statistics, DSST Business Law 2
Recently taken: DSST Drug/Alcohol (61), CLEP French (63), ECE Gerontology (B Sad), DSST MIS (65), DSST Counseling (54), DSST Ethics (63)[/SIZE][/COLOR]
The cost of taking the exams is spread out over the length of your studies. This is one reason why I limited the number of exams I took in any given month. Three exams for $180 per month has been manageable, but 10 exams for $600 per month would not have been sustainable.

Excelsior enrollment and graduation fees are approximately $1,500. So it is possible to save a little bit of money each month while you are taking your exams towards the fees. That way you will have most of the required money on hand by the time you are ready to enroll/graduate.

If not, the remaning amount, in excess of what you have saved, could probably be charged to a credit card and paid off ASAP thereafter.

It's totally doable without financial aid...although I do understand that a student loan might be preferable to some.

If all else fails, call your parents and ask them for money! We are COLLEGE KIDS after all.
hilarious
My name is Rob

Total Credits: 142 (12 not used).
[SIZE=1]GPA: 4.0
[/SIZE]
snazzlefrag Wrote:We are COLLEGE KIDS after all.
hilarious

Yes, we are, aren't we?!!! hilarious
BS - General Business - June 2007
Excelsior College
Kiwi Lover Wrote:Yes, we are, aren't we?!!! hilarious

Of course we are.

I don't know about anyone else, but all I have eaten since November are Doritos and Ramen Noodles. Once a month, I write home and ask my mum to send me more money...just to give myself a more realistic college experience.
My name is Rob

Total Credits: 142 (12 not used).
[SIZE=1]GPA: 4.0
[/SIZE]
snazzlefrag Wrote:Of course we are.

I don't know about anyone else, but all I have eaten since November are Doritos and Ramen Noodles. Once a month, I write home and ask my mum to send me more money...just to give myself a more realistic college experience.
LOL @ Ramen Noodles. I think you can get a month's supply of those for under $5.00 at Walmart.
[SIZE="1"]Ana
[COLOR="DarkRed"]96 credits completed (93 by exam)
BS in General Business, Excelsior College (33 credits remaining)
Next exams: DSST Statistics, DSST Business Law 2
Recently taken: DSST Drug/Alcohol (61), CLEP French (63), ECE Gerontology (B Sad), DSST MIS (65), DSST Counseling (54), DSST Ethics (63)[/SIZE][/COLOR]
beckysharp Wrote:Since Excelsior does not participate in the Federal Student Aid Loan program (FAFSA), I can not apply for financial aid in the traditional manner.

Hi Crystal,

I really enjoy shopping for good vehicles. Not too long ago I picked up a beautiful 2003 Tundra. (...but then its nowhere near as beautiful as a DB-9. Sigh. Drool. Okay, I'm digressing.)

Anyway, I just decided last week that instead of tapping any savings or our monthly budget, I would pick up another good car, sell the Tundra and use the difference for education. Found a great little car with all its maintance records that will run for another 100,000 miles last weekend and will sell the Tundra in the next few weeks. Don't know what you drive or if this might work for you but thought I would throw it out there if you haven't considered it. Fortunately, with a degree that is so reasonable, there might be many creative solutions to funds.

Librevore
Kate
BS Psychology

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  3 Ways to Achieve Financial Security Abroad Kal Di 2 609 05-15-2022, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Kal Di
  Fafsa, Pell grant, financial aid Tennesseegirl87 35 11,988 10-12-2018, 03:36 PM
Last Post: alexf.1990
  Bennett Hypothesis: Financial Aid Increases Tuition sanantone 60 7,280 07-01-2018, 05:34 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Financial Aid Question videogamesrock 0 775 02-18-2016, 03:43 PM
Last Post: videogamesrock
  Financial Aid STG 6 2,210 08-18-2011, 03:22 PM
Last Post: HorseManiac
  Financial Aid FASFA skybirds 2 999 08-09-2011, 12:17 PM
Last Post: alleycat
  Clep and financial aide mishima 8 3,228 08-21-2009, 02:46 AM
Last Post: Tedium
  Excelsior College and Title IV financial aid auminer49r 2 1,563 07-11-2007, 11:04 AM
Last Post: Matymus