Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fafsa, Pell grant, financial aid
(10-09-2018, 08:33 PM)MNomadic Wrote:
(10-09-2018, 07:06 PM)Ideas Wrote: In-state school makes sense, or going slower so that the grant covers more of the tuition. For some people, a loan might be worth it so they can finish sooner and start earning more.

I think you know already, but for most people, a Pell will not cover thousands of the costs for TESU.

Work-study programs or scholarships could be options.

Unfortunately, some grants(like the Pell) only work if you're going to school full time(12 credits per semester or whatever that schools equivalent is).

You can receive the Pell Grant for half-time study, which is 6 semester hours per semester (or 6 months for schools on non-traditional schedules). You'll just receive half your award.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • cookderosa
(10-09-2018, 07:38 PM)cookderosa Wrote: The amount of your award can absolutely vary by school, so it's worth looking at Plan B or Plan C schools if nothing else to see what kind of Pell you get.  While she might get the max at one school, she could get it at another.  It's worth looking into.  https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa/next-...calculated

I agree that the amount of the total award can vary, but the flexible part of that are the loan amounts. When it comes to the grant(s) portion is proportional to the EFC.  

To the OP you should see if your state has a direct apply for aid as well, since you have qualified for a (federal) Pell Grant you may be eligible for more through the state, and many states do not require their grants to be used 'in-state'.  You don't automatically apply for your local state aid when you fill out the FAFSA, although they will require that you to complete the FAFSA first (which you have already done)

Edit: Here is the TN link for Money for College - https://www.tn.gov/collegepays/money-for-college.html

(10-10-2018, 01:48 AM)sanantone Wrote:
(10-09-2018, 08:33 PM)MNomadic Wrote:
(10-09-2018, 07:06 PM)Ideas Wrote: In-state school makes sense, or going slower so that the grant covers more of the tuition. For some people, a loan might be worth it so they can finish sooner and start earning more.

I think you know already, but for most people, a Pell will not cover thousands of the costs for TESU.

Work-study programs or scholarships could be options.

Unfortunately, some grants(like the Pell) only work if you're going to school full time(12 credits per semester or whatever that schools equivalent is).

You can receive the Pell Grant for half-time study, which is 6 semester hours per semester (or 6 months for schools on non-traditional schedules). You'll just receive half your award.

As sanantone stated Pell Grants can be used for half-time, and are prorated accordingly. Financial aid of any type generally require at least half-time enrollment.   And it could be possible to cover the TESU Comprehensive Tuition Plan with grants (although the max Pell alone would be about $1500 short, and not cover any books and the such - this based on NJ in-state or study.com affiliate discount).  In this case that the OP shared the out of state option vs in-state didn't matter for ASU, as it was pointed out that the online program is cost equivalent to in-state rates for all - also, the OP is planning FT enrollment.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(10-10-2018, 07:55 AM)allvia Wrote:
(10-09-2018, 07:38 PM)cookderosa Wrote: The amount of your award can absolutely vary by school, so it's worth looking at Plan B or Plan C schools if nothing else to see what kind of Pell you get.  While she might get the max at one school, she could get it at another.  It's worth looking into.  https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa/next-...calculated

I agree that the amount of the total award can vary, but the flexible part of that are the loan amounts. When it comes to the grant(s) portion is proportional to the EFC.  

It's not agreeing or disagreeing with me- it's Pell Grant policy- I provided the link. Your EFC is X but that can still result in a different Pell award from College A vs College B. They use some kind of tuition formula, and I haven't rec'd a pell for a good many years, however the link I shared above will answer all of a person's questions.
(10-10-2018, 12:30 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(10-10-2018, 07:55 AM)allvia Wrote:

It's not agreeing or disagreeing with me- it's Pell Grant policy- I provided the link.  Your EFC is X but that can still result in a different Pell award from College A vs College B.  They use some kind of tuition formula, and I haven't rec'd a pell for a good many years, however  the link I shared above will answer all of a person's questions.

Holy cow thank you guys so much for this info! The pell grant being more at different schools is what I was originally thinking. So, I was hoping to find a school that calculated it differently. What throws me off there is I get the same amount with NMJC that I will with ASU. So, I was discouraged and decided to not apply to anymore schools as there is a fee every time. BUT, after reading the pell grant rules it seems there can be a difference. So, maybe I should apply to a couple more just to see what the award amount will be. I'll report back Im going to try Oregon State and UF.
Just keep in mind that even if you're able to receive the max Pell Grant of ~ $6k, that may still not cover all of the tuition/fees at many of the 4 year university programs, so you may still need to pay somewhat out of pocket or get loans. Unfortunately, universities just tend to cost more than community colleges/junior colleges(and NMJC is ridiculously cheap compared to others).

There may also be room for "negotiations" with the financial aid departments for other aid that can help bridge the gap.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(10-10-2018, 02:53 PM)Tennesseegirl87 Wrote: Holy cow thank you guys so much for this info! The pell grant being more at different schools is what I was originally thinking. So, I was hoping to find a school that calculated it differently. What throws me off there is I get the same amount with NMJC that I will with ASU. So, I was discouraged and decided to not apply to anymore schools as there is a fee every time. BUT, after reading the pell grant rules it seems there can be a difference. So, maybe I should apply to a couple more just to see what the award amount will be. I'll report back Im going to try Oregon State and UF.

By all means, you should try your luck at different colleges, I wouldn't be too optimistic though. The only scenario where a college would give you a different amount is if their annual Cost of Attendance is lower than 6,100. Colleges include tuition, room and board, textbooks, and fees into their calculations, so its unlikely you'll find any college that costs less than 6,100. Even my community college had a Cost of Attendance around 15,000.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  3 Ways to Achieve Financial Security Abroad Kal Di 2 589 05-15-2022, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Kal Di
Information Pell Grant recipients and others can apply for Emergency Broadband Benefit Program MNomadic 2 879 05-16-2021, 03:34 AM
Last Post: jch
  Bennett Hypothesis: Financial Aid Increases Tuition sanantone 60 7,176 07-01-2018, 05:34 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Pell Grant Question Kirsten 3 1,610 09-17-2017, 06:45 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Pell Grant Question Fortune212 4 1,630 11-24-2016, 03:12 AM
Last Post: videogamesrock
  Financial Aid Question videogamesrock 0 766 02-18-2016, 03:43 PM
Last Post: videogamesrock
  Grant Legal Status to Romeikes-Homeschool Petition TayTay 17 2,555 04-15-2013, 08:21 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Financial Aid STG 6 2,195 08-18-2011, 03:22 PM
Last Post: HorseManiac
  Financial Aid FASFA skybirds 2 992 08-09-2011, 12:17 PM
Last Post: alleycat
  Formula for Pell Grant eligibility skybirds 5 1,657 06-01-2011, 10:01 PM
Last Post: surferD