Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grant Legal Status to Romeikes-Homeschool Petition
Regardless of your position on home schooling, I'm glad to see that others have researched the issue before agreeing to sign the petition. Time magazine had an article on this family. It appears that they had options other than coming to the USA. If I've read the article correctly, they would have been able to home-school their children in another German-speaking country, and not had to face the issue of deportation. I think that the HSLDA is trying to raise political issues rather than help this family, so I will decline to sign the petition. I appreciate your bringing the issue to my notice, however, TayTay
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker
There is a lot of discussion on whether or not this family warrants asylum, but how hard, truly is it to grant asylum?
Publius Wrote:It kinda pains me to see the political system abusing families. Sorta the other way around, IMHO. Yes, there's many people around the world suffering, and here's a chance to take 30 seconds and sign something to help out a family. Back to basics folks, the golden rule, if you were in trouble and needed help, anything and everything other people did for you would help and be appreciated. Whether this petition ultimately will do anything, or not, none of us knows. But the time we've taken to comment or complain, is more then twice the time it would of taken to just sign it. If you disagree, I'm not saying don't reply or comment, etc. just keep it cool and realize that around the world (and in this case particularly) you're able to do things that these people can't. You have freedoms, that they don't. Would not restriction of freedom and liberty be considered persecution? That's what millions of men and women have died for over the last 2 centuries, to gain the freedom we enjoy and keep it safe. What's my point? If freedom is worth all those glorious lives, maybe it's worth our time to spend 30 seconds and help some other folks.

I'd rather spend the 30 seconds signing a petition for someone who is really in need. You're not just signing a petition. You're basically telling the president that he should grant asylum to these people ahead of others. Like I said, we can't grant asylum to everyone, so we have to make choices on who needs it the most. Some people are in danger of being imprisoned by the government no matter what they do. These people are not in that position. If I were in their position, I would feel very selfish asking for people's time and energy to help my cause when there are many other more worthy causes. When I had no money to buy food, I pawned items so that I could do so. I did not go to the food bank or ask a charity for help. I believed that help should go to the people who had absolutely no other way of getting food. I even took out a car title loan in order to pay the rent.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
TayTay Wrote:Hi all! Sorry if this post has created some negative feelings... I just wanted to share it for those fellow homeschoolers who wanted to sign the petition or were unaware of it.

I, personally, don't think the issue is about a "family's comfortable life." The problem is that the government is saying that parents do not have the fundamental right to homeschool. The issue is to have the FREEDOM to CHOOSE your child's education, whether public, private, or at home. Even though this is a German family, this decision will set a precedence for ALL future homeschooling, in America.

I am a homeschool graduate, so I am partial to this. Everyone just has to do what they think is best!

HSLDA Chairman and founder Michael Farris, JD, LLM, argues the case at the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals on
April 23 and explains why this case is so important to Americans.

“When the United States government says that homeschooling is a mutable choice, it is saying that a government
can legitimately coerce you to change this choice,” Farris said. “In other words, you have no protected right to
choose what type of education your children will receive. We should understand that in these arguments,
something very concerning is being said about the liberties of all Americans.”

Source: http://www.hslda.org/legal/cases/romeike...130326.pdf

The Romeikes said that they were being persecuted for their religion. That's probably where they lost support. The government couldn't find any evidence that they were being persecuted for their religion. There is nothing in the Bible that says that your children should be homeschooled. However, the Bible does say that you should obey the laws of the land. Homeschooling is mostly a state issue. If homeschooling is not a right guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution (and it's not just like healthcare is not a right and that's a life and death situation), then that is something each state should take up. There are a lot of arguments one can make under the pursuit of happiness argument. One could say that taxes get in the way of their pursuit of happiness. One could say that laws against the use of marijuana get in their way of pursuit of happiness, especially when it comes to medical issues.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
The subject of homeschooling is dear to my heart, so I am an adamant supporter of the rights of homeschoolers. (As most people are, to topics that mean something to them.) We will have to agree to disagree and leave it as that! Smile
That is fine. We all have our priorities.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
This is about asylum in the United States. As a Naturalised Citizen I understand this system yet the E.U is a 27 member state and so if you are persecuted in Germany which is possible because the German state does things differently than everywhere else. A German citizen can live in Romania and be able to home school their children or even in Ireland without persecution it's a right under the Irish constitution. Deporting a family is traumatic for them but lets be real if they can survive in the U.S.A as homeschoolers they could if they so wished do so across the European Union this means as E.U Citizens there is no ongoing threat to them so they don't qualify for asylum since they have liberty to move within the EU to a more favourable juristiction. These issues usually arise over economics, they can make more cash in the U.S.A than if the lived in a free nation like Ireland or Romania or Slovakia. Should the German government change its attitude to homeschoolers if we believe this then write to you local German embassy or consulate and let them know that you disapprove of their policies, lets not change our U.S policies for a single State within a federation that allows freedoms of all sorts.
Don't forget that gaining college credit by taking exams is one of the reason's we're here. That's mainly possible through the flashcards made available by the owner of this forum : InstantCert Plus of course your hard work in learning and reviewing
Current Credits

Irish Education

FETAC Level 6 Adv Cert in Admin

Spreadsheets 5 U.S credits A ,Word Processing 2.5 U.S credits A
Business Management 5.0 U.S credits A Web Authoring 2.5 U.S credits A Communications 5.0 U.S credits A Manual and Computerized Bookkeeping 2.5 U.S Credits A

ECDL (European Computer Drivers License) ICS SKILLS 5 credits

Strayer University Marketing 100 (paid for by Starbucks) A 4.5 quarter hours
CLEP U.S History I 74, U.S History II 69, Western Civ II 61, Western Civ I 64, HG&D 60, Humanities 60, biz law 67,Am Gov 57.
DSST: Biz ethics & s 450, Art WW 424
EC CCS 120 A , EC ENG 101 A, EC BUS 312 H.R A , EC ENG 102 A,
B&M ACC 151 B, B&M ACC 152 (starting) Nat Scies,
I've been looking at an article on the Romeikes from the HSLDA magazine The Home School Court Report in 2010. The article is by HSLDA staff attorney Michael P. Donnelly. Quoting:

Michael P. Donnelly Wrote:HSLDA first learned of and reported on the Romeikes’ case in late 2006. The following year, I (Mike Donnelly) travelled to Germany for a homeschool conference. In my presentation at the conference, I spoke about pluralism and encouraged the families to stay strong in their fight for freedom. I also shared the history of homeschooling in the United States, where the early years hadn’t been so different from what German homeschoolers were currently dealing with.

One of the families I met on that trip kept me informed about the Romeikes’ situation, and asked me to get in touch with Uwe and Hanne to advise and encourage them. When I called Uwe, I learned that he was being fined thousands of dollars and that the authorities were preparing to bring an action to put a lien on his home for the payment of the fines. I knew that this was only a starting point and that it was very likely that more severe action would eventually be taken. He told me that he and Hanne thought that they might have to leave Germany.

“Mike Donnelly told me that if we decided to leave Germany and come to the United States, HSLDA would support us in a claim for political asylum,” remembers Uwe. “He said it would be a novel case and that there was no telling how it might turn out. Hanne and I thought it over. We could go to other places in Europe, but America, as we found out, had the freest laws for homeschoolers.”
Seeking Refuge in the Land of Liberty: The Romeikes' Journey (Michael P. Donnelly, The Home School Court Report, March/April 2010)

So according to a house magazine from the HSLDA, the Romeikes were considering normal-status immigration to a safe country in Europe very friendly to homeschooling. But the HSLDA came in and urged them to seek political asylum in the US. They cautioned the Romeikes, says Uwe Romeike, this was "a novel case" and "there was no telling how it might turn out."

In principle, I'm very sympathetic to the concept of bringing a test case to set a precedent on a rights issue.

I feel some discomfort with the way this has played out, especially with the role of the HSLDA.

Apparently urged on by the HSLDA, a family both rejected normal-status immigration to safe countries in Europe, and also chose against applying to come to the U.S. as normal-status immigrants.

Instead, the Romeikes filed for refugee status on grounds that the HSLDA agreed from their first contact with the family in Germany – apparently circa 2007, during the Bush administration – were speculative and risked rejection. Now that, just so, the Romeikes' claim for refugee status is facing an appeal and risks rejection, the HSLDA is shocked! "The U.S. Government wants to deport this homeschool family."

I support a right to homeschool, and from the little I've seen so far about this strict German law against homeschooling, it does seem to me to be seriously wrong.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  In Rare Alliance, Democrats and Republicans Seek Legal Power to Clear Homeless Camps LevelUP 7 1,144 02-22-2024, 08:21 PM
Last Post: housecat
  Elon Musk ends legal battle and buys Twitter for $44 billion! bjcheung77 13 1,232 10-26-2022, 06:14 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
Shocked Truck Driver Gets 110yr Prison Sentence for an Accident & 3m People Sign Petition LevelUP 11 2,091 12-19-2021, 04:01 PM
Last Post: freeloader
Information Pell Grant recipients and others can apply for Emergency Broadband Benefit Program MNomadic 2 896 05-16-2021, 03:34 AM
Last Post: jch
  Microsoft Azure Status Website bjcheung77 0 593 09-28-2020, 07:31 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Fafsa, Pell grant, financial aid Tennesseegirl87 35 11,930 10-12-2018, 03:36 PM
Last Post: alexf.1990
  Pell Grant Question Kirsten 3 1,619 09-17-2017, 06:45 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  HomeSchool HighSchool Transcript Template bjcheung77 7 2,239 06-15-2017, 11:03 PM
Last Post: Carnation
  homeschool resources for middle schooler with dyslexia & memory problems rvm 17 3,971 04-18-2017, 12:43 PM
Last Post: originalamyj
  Pell Grant Question Fortune212 4 1,637 11-24-2016, 03:12 AM
Last Post: videogamesrock