Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finish Line is Near - Need College Algebra to Complete BSBA in Finance (TESU)
Your Location: USA
Your Age: 29
What kind of degree do you want?: BSBA in Finance (in progress); considering continuing my education utilizing Post 9/11 GI Bill
Current Regional Accredited Credits: 22
Total Credits: 106

TESU Courses:
TES-100 Cornerstone: Lifelong Learning

FIN-314 Small Business Finance 
STA-201 Principles of Statistics 3 SH TECEP
FIN-334 International Finance 
MAN-373 Managerial Communications 
ACC-102 Prin. of Mgrl Acctg 
FIN-321 Security Anal & Portfolio Mgt TECEP
FIN-331 Financial Inst. and Mrkts. TECEP

Courses satisfied with CLEP/DSSTs:
ENC-101 English Composition I

ENC-102 English Composition II
COM-309 Advanced Public Speaking

REL-277 Intro to World Religions
SOC-101 Introduction to Sociology
PHI-287 Ethics in America
POS-110 American Government
HIS-102 Western Civilization II
SOS-102 Social Sciences and History II
SOS-101 Social Sciences and History I
CIS-201 Management Information Systems
HUM-103 Intro to Hum III : Music
HUM-102 Intro Hum II: Poet Drama Nar
HIS-101 Western Civilization I
MAT-103 General Math II
MAT-102 General Math I
AOJ-101 Intro. to Law Enforcement
ANT-101 Introduction to Anthropology
ACC-101 Prin. of Finl Acctg
LAW-201 Business Law
COS-101 Introduction to Computers
MAN-210 Principles of Management
MAR-201 Introduction to Marketing
ECO-112 Microeconomics
ECO-111 Macroeconomics
ECO-332 Money and Banking
EDU-102 Foundations of Education
SOS-304 Drugs and Society

Awaiting results from my TECEP for Business in Society. I also just took the College Algebra TECEP and sadly failed. I don't really want to take the course as it's just not a subject I'm strong in plus I've taken so many pass/fail ACE credits that any subpar grade will drastically affect my GPA. 

I've hit the limit on ACE credit transfers. I believe I'd be able to a course as a TECEP freeing up the option to take the CLEP for College Algebra or the Saylor course. The Saylor Course, while inadequately preparing me for the TECEP, seems much easier than anything else. 

I'm new here but experienced at ACE credits so please feel free to correct my planning if I'm misunderstanding anything. 

By the way, been reading the forum all day and as someone who has done so many CLEPs and DSSTs only knowing about the r/clep subreddit (which is lacking) I wish I found this site a lot sooner.
@petethejuggler, There are so many ways to slice things, if my estimation is correct - you only have 22 credits at TESU, 13 being residency credits, you can slice it in your favor... Here's an example, you have the Finance AOS, if you add Entrepreneurship as another AOS, you can complete that using ACE credits (and get your College Algebra done that way too) and the Intro to Entrepreneurship TECEP + other Marketing TECEPs to bump your RA credits up.

Another option, if you would like to learn more, is to take another course/e-pack in addition to the Capstone to hit the RA residency credits. Yet, if you have the energy, money, time, you can complete an Associates on route to the BSBA, and complete a course that can be used towards it, such as the Associates Capstone. You just need to make sure you hit the 16+ RA credits residency and the 30+ RA credit requirement. Can you screenshot your evaluation without the personal details?
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I still recommend studying using ASU's Algebra course. You might even want to consider paying for the upgrade ($25). If you get an A or a B, transcript it for another $400 and send it to TESU to boost your all-around GPA. If you don't get an A or a B for some reason, use what you learned to pass the TECEP.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Do you still have to take the new cornerstone (SOS-110)? That and the capstone would get you 6 more RA and residency credits.
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
(04-24-2022, 11:17 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @petethejuggler, There are so many ways to slice things, if my estimation is correct - you only have 22 credits at TESU, 13 being residency credits, you can slice it in your favor...  Here's an example, you have the Finance AOS, if you add Entrepreneurship as another AOS, you can complete that using ACE credits (and get your College Algebra done that way too) and the Intro to Entrepreneurship TECEP + other Marketing TECEPs to bump your RA credits up.  

Another option, if you would like to learn more, is to take another course/e-pack in addition to the Capstone to hit the RA residency credits.  Yet, if you have the energy, money, time, you can complete an Associates on route to the BSBA, and complete a course that can be used towards it, such as the Associates Capstone.  You just need to make sure you hit the 16+ RA credits residency and the 30+ RA credit requirement.  Can you screenshot your evaluation without the personal details?

Awaiting the results from the Business in Society TECEP and then I'll post my evaluation screenshot.
I would just stick with the resolution I mentioned here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid364912
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • petethejuggler
So, I just went through and looked at your credits, and I see that you do not have everything you need:
1) don't have a 2nd science course (only CIS-201)
2) don't have the Prin of Finance in the core
3) don't have a 6th AoS course in Finance

So I'm probably going with:
- ONU for the science course for $150 (BIO 201 - General Biological Science or CHE 101: Chemistry or GEO 121: Physical Geography)
- Davar for FIN-301: Intro to Finance and FIN-401: Corporate Finance OR
- Study.com for FIN 104: Financial Management and FIN 301: Corporate Finance

That solves all of your problems (gets your RA and missing courses) except for College Algebra, which I'm probably going to do via ALEKS, Sophia, or take a walk on the wild side and do Saylor for $5 and see how it goes.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I would do what bjcheung77 suggested in taking easy TECEPs even if it overlaps a course you have already taken.

One easy TECEP
Computer Concepts and Applications (CIS-107-TE)

Download Fireshot Chrome browser plugin and then you can select "capture selection" and save it as a pdf. Then upload that pdf of your academic evaluation.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(04-25-2022, 03:51 PM)dfrecore Wrote: So, I just went through and looked at your credits, and I see that you do not have everything you need:
1) don't have a 2nd science course (only CIS-201)
2) don't have the Prin of Finance in the core
3) don't have a 6th AoS course in Finance

So I'm probably going with:
- ONU for the science course for $150 (BIO 201 - General Biological Science or CHE 101: Chemistry or GEO 121: Physical Geography)
- Davar for FIN-301: Intro to Finance and FIN-401: Corporate Finance OR
- Study.com for FIN 104: Financial Management and FIN 301: Corporate Finance

That solves all of your problems (gets your RA and missing courses) except for College Algebra, which I'm probably going to do via ALEKS, Sophia, or take a walk on the wild side and do Saylor for $5 and see how it goes.

So I forgot to mention that. I took Principles of Finance and Environmental Science DSSTs but Prometric never sent the transcripts. I'm still trying to work things out with them but also not sure if it will make a difference since I'm at the max for ACE credits. Guess I should check with an advisor at TESU and see what can be tweaked around. 

And yeah, looks like I've been misreading my academic evaluation. I had enrolled in a course that I had to drop before it started but it still shows as a pending course. So this whole time I've been thinking I've satisfied the Finance courses. Bummer. 

Thanks for the recommendations! What science course do you think would be the easiest to get an A to boost GPA?
You actually already have two classes (CIS-201 and COS-101).
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Finish Degree for CFP Marks Cfp417 7 160 Yesterday, 10:04 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Possible TESU BACS + BS CIS/BSBA Finance Advice bigsquirrel7 1 76 04-23-2024, 12:53 PM
  BS IT - TESU or Purdue ChickenEnjoyer 1 70 04-23-2024, 11:36 AM
  Advice on Transfer Credits for CS and Math at TESU Frederico.Sandoval 1 122 04-20-2024, 11:29 AM
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 58 2,083 04-18-2024, 12:31 AM
  TESU or somewhere else for IT/CS related degree? tdat314 6 253 04-17-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  LUO or TESU for BSBA kimberlyagapril 5 205 04-16-2024, 01:06 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Going back to school at 29 for CS with only freshman year of college completed RejuvenationOclock 8 658 04-10-2024, 11:40 PM
  TESU - BA CS + BS CIS ahmedeo0510@gmail.com 12 415 04-03-2024, 12:34 PM
  Almost 40 year old with foreign BA in English degree and Santa Monica College Cert KMcLean 12 1,038 03-25-2024, 08:12 PM