Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finishing a Music Masters
Hi,

A friend of mine almost, but did not quite, finish a Masters in Music Performance several decades ago. After a number of life detours, he's now interested in getting into music education, preferably at the college level.

Is there any way that he can complete his masters without having to start from scratch?

Thanks for any pointers you can provide.
I'm assuming he's passed the time limit to finish his master's at the original school. Everywhere else will evaluate his transcript for transfer credits. Six to nine credits is the typical transfer credit limit for master's programs. If he's lucky, he might find a rare program that will accept 12 to 15 transfer credits.

Here are links to online master's programs in music.

https://www.geteducated.com/online-degre...arts/music

https://www.gradschools.com/masters/perf...rts/online
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
https://www.sunderland.ac.uk/study/busin...ds-scheme/

This is a UK university that creates customized degrees. I have no experience with this university, but it would be at least worth some digging.

Amberton University is a place where people sometimes go with this kind of issue:

https://www.amberton.edu/programs-and-co...index.html

This is another strange master's program that might be worth a look:

https://interdisciplinary.wnmu.edu/graduate/masters/
(02-02-2019, 09:47 PM)bghill Wrote: Hi,

A friend of mine almost, but did not quite, finish a Masters in Music Performance several decades ago. After a number of life detours, he's now interested in getting into music education, preferably at the college level.

Is there any way that he can complete his masters without having to start from scratch?

Thanks for any pointers you can provide.

Probably not. Performance credits are tough, especially very old ones. Master's transfer credits commonly appear in programs that colleges use to entice enrollment- you'll see them in education, business, or leadership to attract adults. TESU allows it in liberal arts, but music is still a tough master's to find anywhere online, and in this situation, my guess is that it will require both deep pockets and starting from scratch.

but... I have a better idea.

Any chance your friend already accumulated 18 credits in the previous performance degree? If so, then no reason to worry about transfer credits- your friend could get a master's in something more user-friendly (cheaper faster) related to teaching/instruction (readily available online) and use the 18 credits to qualify for community college teaching. CC requirements are minimally masters in the field OR a masters in any field + 18 in the field. This can be a hard sell in some fields, but if your friend has been DOING performance for the past 2 decades, he brings experience to the table, and that is highly valued at a CC.

This is a good example to show your friend: My local CC is part of the #2 largest in our state, so not the biggest, but big. They indicate 100 music majors in our college system. Here is a listing of the faculty that is required to run that size department: http://appserver.cpcc.edu/edirectory/dep...25#listing

As you can see, there are 6 full timers each representing a specialization (voice, piano, appreciation, etc.) and then about 25 part timers. I assure you at least half of those part timers are working as a part timer just waiting for a full timer to quit or move on so they can move to full time. In short, though this is just one example, it's a good one- and should be used to inform his rational as he calculates his return on investment. It makes sense to spend $10k to make this happen, but spending $40k will put him in debt for decades especially for a degree that may never land him a job. Part timers (adjunct) faculty don't earn a lot of money- I never made more than $10k in a year working as an adjunct (5 sections per year at $2000 per section) but the number of sections you can get and the rate per section totally depends on where you work and the size of the school.
I agree with Cookderosa about looking at different options. I know this isn't maybe what you're asking, but I would do whatever it takes to make sure that the masters will work in the local area where your friend lives.

One of my younger brothers has his MM and for years struggled to find enough work to put food on the table. Even when he was an award winning band teacher, with articles in the newspaper about his success, it wasn't enough to keep the job. Budget cuts meant that he had to drive all around the Phoenix area to different school districts to piece together a full-time day.

Based on all of these K-12 budget cuts, anyone who could teach at a local CC or university was already doing it. I'm sure my brother would have been a candidate, but there weren't any openings at the higher-ed level.

My bro is now in technical support at a website company. He could have easily gotten this job without a masters degree and watching his music dream go down the toilet was incredibly painful for all of our family. Maybe moving to a different metropolitan area might have helped, but his lack of money combined with a divorce (caused partly by financial issues) made it impossible. Really, really heartbreaking story and I know for a fact he did his best. I was there with him and tried to help him as much as possible. I would personally only recommend the MM to anyone who is just doing it for fun or who is living in an area that supports music curriculum in schools.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
(02-03-2019, 11:13 AM)burbuja0512 Wrote: I agree with Cookderosa about looking at different options. I know this isn't maybe what you're asking, but I would do whatever it takes to make sure that the masters will work in the local area where your friend lives.

One of my younger brothers has his MM and for years struggled to find enough work to put food on the table. Even when he was an award winning band teacher, with articles in the newspaper about his success, it wasn't enough to keep the job. Budget cuts meant that he had to drive all around the Phoenix area to different school districts to piece together a full-time day.

Based on all of these K-12 budget cuts, anyone who could teach at a local CC or university was already doing it. I'm sure my brother would have been a candidate, but there weren't any openings at the higher-ed level.

My bro is now in technical support at a website company. He could have easily gotten this job without a masters degree and watching his music dream go down the toilet was incredibly painful for all of our family. Maybe moving to a different metropolitan area might have helped, but his lack of money combined with a divorce (caused partly by financial issues) made it impossible. Really, really heartbreaking story and I know for a fact he did his best. I was there with him and tried to help him as much as possible. I would personally only recommend the MM to anyone who is just doing it for fun or who is living in an area that supports music curriculum in schools.

This is a good story- and that's one thing we share, my younger brother also has his music masters. He is in a Chicago suburb school district that is very music-friendly, but his school (he teaches high school) offers tenure, so he's protected. HOWEVER, my brother had 2 best friends all through high school / band days. Friend one went to Juilliard and has a degree in percussion performance. He has never had a good stable job- and that's friggin Juilliard. He has taught private lessons as long as I've known him, and besides some symphony work, is very much a struggling artist. My brother's degree was in music ed, so he's been a teacher since day 1, but did have to change districts to get a decent job. He got a master's to bump his pay, but couldn't do that until he was in his current position because he explained many times that you all but remove yourself from the running with a master's in k12 public ed - you're just too expensive. Anyway, he's doing good- but friend #3 didn't go to college at all but has gigged with his dad's band since he was a teen. He struggles a bit, but is a very happy and ALWAYS WORKING musician (with no student loan debt I might add!)

So, the point is that this could go a lot of different ways for your friend, and that of course there are never any guarantees, a master's in music feels risky to me without knowing more about what he's been doing in the 20 years since he left his master's program. I still stand by getting a master's in something different, but since posting earlier this morning, I will add that the adult education / continuing education / professional development options at the community college will probably hire you asap. Those departments are usually very understaffed and are a great way to get your foot in the door teaching (if he isn't already a teacher).
Another option might be Liberty University’s online Master of Arts in Music Education (https://www.liberty.edu/online/music/mas...education/).

According to the website 50% of the degree requirements can be transferred into the degree program. So your friend may be able to use his previous MM credits to satisfy some of the degree requirements. The courses at Liberty are all offered online with optional on-campus intensives. This may be a good fit for what your friend seeks. Hope this info helps.

Liberty has several other online music Masters including a Masters of Arts in Music and Worship (church/worship arts focused)AND a Masters of Arts in Ethnomusicology. Again, the website states up to 50% of the degree requirements may be transferred in from other graduate programs.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sacricolist's post:
  • cookderosa
I don't know about a masters in music. But I would look for Universitys that offer masters in anything that accept transfer credit. Central Michigan University (I think it was CMU, might be somewhere else) has a masters in leadership that is 30 credits with 15 of them being electives and they allow you to transfer in 50% of your degree. However the electives have to be in an (any) area of study, as in, just not random credits, but music performance could be an area of study. I forget what University (I'll update later with the link) but I remember seeing it and thinking "this is the closest thing to the big 3 BALS for masters."
Wow, some great responses there! Thanks for the thoughts.

My friend was mostly finished with his masters, so I imagine he'd have plenty of credits to transfer, if the school will take them.

And yes, making a living in music (or any of the arts) is a tough row to hoe indeed! I know several people who are barely making it or who gave up trying.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 3 268 03-23-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: Wnt2BLPC
  New Purdue (Main) online masters in AI smartdegree 7 491 03-20-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Cheap Online Software Engineering Masters? yellow_gambit 4 264 03-17-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  A very big thank you to this group. I have completed my Masters in IT from PUG NewatTESU 31 4,094 03-14-2024, 11:07 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  Comp Sci (or related) Masters? Options? techmama 17 2,973 03-02-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: KMcLean
  ENEB MASTERS Accreditation, Questions Sara143 10 1,619 02-20-2024, 02:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Teesside University has some interesting Masters programs that cost around 9k USD nyvrem 5 520 02-17-2024, 07:01 AM
Last Post: Tomas
  Masters level credits from Sophia and others? jb111 24 1,589 02-09-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: Darknigh7
  Summary of ENEB Masters in Big Data and Business Intelligence Pinko64 4 1,133 02-04-2024, 03:49 PM
Last Post: housecat
  Online Psych Masters from VIU, WES Canada eligible? Earind_00 6 1,272 01-31-2024, 12:18 PM
Last Post: muca3