Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finite Math
TLDR; Finite Math ACE options for WGU? Is Shmoop now transferable?

Hi everyone! I have searched and searched, but I haven't been able to find anything to answer my question. I've seen some outdated info, but nothing new.

I am looking into doing the MAT Middle Grades Math option at WGU and I was looking at the required math courses. I have college statistics, but nothing else! It appears like I can get most of the other math courses at straighterline.com, but I'm having a hard time finding "Finite Math" specifically.

The only ACE exam I've found for Finite Math, is from Shmoop. Everything I read says it isn't approved because exams aren't proctored, but Shmoop exams are now proctored (from what I read- this is really new?). So will WGU start accepting Shmoop courses?

Or does anyone know of another alternative for Finite Math specifically?

I'm *hoping* to start January 1. I want to knock the MAT out in a year. Thanks in advance for any guidance that can be offered. Smile
(08-31-2018, 03:22 PM)SweetLife Wrote: TLDR; Finite Math ACE options for WGU? Is Shmoop now transferable?

Hi everyone! I have searched and searched, but I haven't been able to find anything to answer my question. I've seen some outdated info, but nothing new.

I am looking into doing the MAT Middle Grades Math option at WGU and I was looking at the required math courses. I have college statistics, but nothing else! It appears like I can get most of the other math courses at straighterline.com, but I'm having a hard time finding "Finite Math" specifically.

The only ACE exam I've found for Finite Math, is from Shmoop. Everything I read says it isn't approved because exams aren't proctored, but Shmoop exams are now proctored (from what I read- this is really new?). So will WGU start accepting Shmoop courses?

Or does anyone know of another alternative for Finite Math specifically?

I'm *hoping* to start January 1. I want to knock the MAT out in a year. Thanks in advance for any guidance that can be offered. Smile

Yeah, as far as I know Shmoop is the only alternate credit option for Finite Math, but isn't an option for WGU. Or at least it hasn't been an option.

This isn't an ACE issue, since Shmoop has been ACE recommended for some time. However, WGU chose not to accept their courses for credit. More recently, TESU stopped accepting Shmoop as well, mostly due to an incident that made them uncomfortable how quickly people could earn credits. However, Shmoop recently added proctoring in response to criticisms from TESU.

We don't know whether this change will mean TESU will start taking Shmoop courses again or not. WGU has never accepted them, and I'm not sure if they even know that Shmoop is now proctored. It may not matter to them, or the proctoring issue may be the reason they didn't accept the credits to begin with.

I'd contact advising at WGU and explain what you're trying to do. You could indicate that Shmoop recently changed their format and all exams are now proctored, but I suspect that a decision to allow or deny course providers probably comes from upper management, so it may take a long time to change, if they are open to it at all.

You could always look to take Finite math at a CC or university instead. There may be an online accelerated or self-directed version of that course floating around somewhere if you can't find a local option.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • Sapientes
I thought Shmoop's Finite Math course was terrible, I wouldn't advise it unless you exhaust all other possibilities.
Doctor of Medicine candidate (MD) - anticipated complete '24
[-] The following 1 user Likes MSK9's post:
  • Sapientes
I was looking at my local CC, and they only have one section of Finite math this semester for *all* of their campuses, and it's already closed, so I'm sure that's not an option.

I'll keep searching the internet.

I have to take:
Finite Math
College Algebra
Trig or Pre-Calc
Calculus
Geometry

And really, I think the only course I'm going to have trouble finding is Finite math.

I appreciate your responses! Smile
Rio Salado has it, and it's available as a 14-wk or 8-wk accelerated course. They have rolling starts, every Monday I think. They aren't the cheapest, but they certainly make it easy to take it on your timeframe.

Check the other AZ and NM CC's. Maybe CA as well.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Sapientes
Try Athabasca University. This Canada university is accredited with the Middle States Commission on Higher Education.

They have a Challenge for Credit option for Finite Math.

For more info, goto : http://www.athabascau.ca/syllabi/math/math209.php.

You will need to contact them directly for the cost of the test.
[-] The following 1 user Likes durain's post:
  • Sapientes
For those that need Finite Math:

RA, self-paced, online, $510

https://www.uidaho.edu/academics/dee/ind...cs#Math130
[-] The following 1 user Likes terryd5150's post:
  • Sapientes
You might try this link. Look under the "National Agreements" section and find the 3rd party provider you're interested in and then select your area > degree to find out what they'll accept.

https://partners.wgu.edu/
see if they'll accept the excelsior exam for contemporary mathematics
https://www.excelsior.edu/exam/contempor...thematics/

https://www.excelsior.edu/wp-content/upl...matics.pdf

that exams seems to cover the same material in this "Finite Math Dummies" book
https://www.amazon.com/Finite-Math-Dummi...119476364/

here are some notes on WGU's finite math (don't know if its the same course for the teachers college as for the IT college)
https://old.reddit.com/r/WGU/comments/7s...udy_notes/

the course notes also seem to cover the same material as the excelsior exam

the exam also covers the same material listed here
https://partners.wgu.edu/Course%20Descri...%20CUs.pdf

finite math is pretty easy -- its barely more than algebra
[-] The following 1 user Likes bluebooger's post:
  • Sapientes
(08-31-2018, 03:22 PM)SweetLife Wrote: .

I am looking into doing the MAT Middle Grades Math option at WGU and I was looking at the required math courses.
I hope you managed with your degree! I may be doing something similar - is it possible to share the link of where you found the required courses?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,700 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Any good self-paced option for math such as Calculus II? zcao15 3 1,012 06-11-2023, 02:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Study.com Math 108: Discrete Mathematics - Optional Quiz and final exam Titan_s 5 2,117 11-11-2022, 10:13 AM
Last Post: simonbellfi
  Need 12 Math Credits - Please Help (and read :) ) acamp 48 8,907 07-08-2022, 08:47 PM
Last Post: creationstory
  Math Course Giantzebra 18 3,482 05-29-2022, 10:47 PM
Last Post: StudentOLife
  Coopersmith Upper Level Math? eriehiker 19 4,818 05-27-2022, 08:06 PM
  Study.com Discrete Math prereqs decibel 18 3,714 03-16-2022, 12:15 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Algebra - which provider for math idiot back2schoolin22 8 1,345 02-02-2022, 08:40 PM
  SDC | Discrete Math akr680 2 1,261 08-16-2021, 12:36 PM
Last Post: akr680
  Math Question lidel 8 1,044 06-17-2021, 11:18 AM
Last Post: lidel