Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Need 12 Math Credits - Please Help (and read :) )
(02-27-2018, 01:00 PM)acamp Wrote: Thank you for your response.  Yes I tried doing the CLEP-study route but as you said that turns out to be more difficult and overwhelming with trying to find all the books, practice tests, websites, etc.  

How about StraighterLine?  Any experiences with that for math (or any credit based classes).

Thanks again

I have taken many courses through Straighterline (SL), but none where math (well, I took Business Statistics, more theory than "math" in my experience). I am sure there are people here who can give insight on specific math courses offered through them; however, it is very important to note that even though they are all offered through SL they all are not same provider for the mathematics courses - so you lose the continuity of the vertical path you'd get with a single provider, even though they are all technically Stragihterline courses.

In example(s): SL's College Algebra is offered through two platforms, Acrobatiq or McGraw-Hill.   SL's General Calculus I and General Calculus II from ThinkWell.  SL's Introduction to Statistics from from Acrobatiq (& sometimes McGraw-Hill)
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(02-27-2018, 10:14 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(02-27-2018, 10:04 AM)acamp Wrote:
(02-27-2018, 07:48 AM)homeschoolmom1 Wrote: Just FYI, study.com Intro to reasoning comes in for a whopping 4 credits of liberal arts math. Not bad for a reasonably priced easy math class.

Good morning!
Does that class transfer into TESU as 4 credits?  And do you know which course title and number thats would transfer in as?  Thank you!

This is Study.com's MAT97: Intro to Mathematical Reasoning that I listed.  I didn't realize that it would come in for 4cr.  The good news is that this would help make up for a 2cr math course that you might want.

Hi again,
I just looked on the ACE website and it says it is only recommended for 2 credits?  So based on previous posts, that means it will only transfer into TESU as 2 credits, correct?  Even though on study.com its 4 credits?

Credit Recommendation:
In the lower-division baccalaureate/associate degree category, 2 semester hours in introduction to mathematical reasoning, foundations for quantitative reasoning, or foundations of mathematics and quantitative reasoning (2/17).
http://www.nationalccrs.org/organization...ycom#n8417

There are two course evaluation services. ACE recommends it for two credits. NCCRS recommends it for four. Generally, but not always, TESU will go with the higher recommendation.

When you finish the class, you will have to have study.com send a transcript directly to TESU. The ACE transcript will only get you two credits.
acamp said:
Quote: "I have taken many courses through Straighterline (SL), but none where math (well, I took Business Statistics, more theory than "math" in my experience). I am sure there are people here who can give insight on specific math courses offered through them; however, it is very important to note that even though they are all offered through SL they all are not same provider for the mathematics courses - so you lose the continuity of the vertical path you'd get with a single provider, even though they are all technically Stragihterline courses.

In example(s): SL's College Algebra is offered through two platforms, Acrobatiq or McGraw-Hill."

So my first question is: My son recently bought SL College Algebra, but hasn't started it yet (waiting for a membership code to reactivate). Does he have a choice whether to take it through Acrobatiq or McGraw-Hill? Is there a preferred platform?

Has anyone else taken this course? HE is NOT mathy - gave up on ALEKS 3 times previously :-( He figured an actual course would be a better fit for him, but has been watching KHAN videos to prepare a bit for the course. Do you have any tips for him? He works a full-time demanding job and with family and church responsibilities, it's been hard focusing on math. But he only needs 2 math courses to complete his degree. Algebra is the lowest his B&M accepts. He's also wondering how many hours do you anticipate to complete the SL course?

Thanks for your help,
Julie
(02-25-2018, 11:44 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(02-25-2018, 10:35 PM)acamp Wrote: WOW - I so appreciate that information, thank you.  

From your experience, and maybe your in the same boat as me with limited math knowledge/classes, do you prefere SHMOOP or STUDY.COM to take these math courses that you outlined above?   Besides the cost being a factor, is SHMOOP or STUDY.COM easier than the other with regards to passing the exams and final test?   Would love to hear your thoughts on that.  Thanks again.

I have never used Shmoop, so I have no idea.  Study.com - I'm currently working on Stats through them, it's fine.  Since I have only taken the other math courses through ALEKS, I'm not a good one to ask.

Except the Applied Liberal Arts TECEP, which was crazy easy - but that was after I'd taken Intermediate and College Algebra.

I would say that you should start with Shmoop and see how it goes - can't beat the price.  If you can get through Finite Math, then move onto Geometry, or even Math I and see how that goes.  If you're having trouble at all, try Study.com.  That's the best advice I can give you.

Dfrecore,
How’s the STATS class progress going for you? Still a do-able course? Your pretty strong in math you said right?
(02-25-2018, 10:06 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Here are your options for relatively easy math courses/exams:

MAT-102 (College Math)
Study.com's MAT102: College Mathematics
College Math CLEP (6cr also includes MAT-103)

MAT-105 (Liberal Arts Math)
Study.com's MAT97: Intro to Mathematical Reasoning
Math for Liberal Arts DSST
Applied Liberal Arts Math TECEP

MAT-110 (Finite Math)
Shmoop's Finite Math

MAT-115 (Int. Algebra)
Study.com's MAT101: College Algebra
Shmoop's Mathematics I
Fundamentals of College Algebra DSST

MAT-119 (College Algebra)
Study.com's MAT107: Quantitative Literacy
College Algebra TECEP
College Algebra SL

MAT-260 (Geometry)
Study.com's GEOM101: Intro to Geometry

MAT-361 (Geometry)
Shmoop's Geometry

I would say that MAT-102, 105 and 110 will be the easiest, then it's just a matter of what else you want to do.  If you're going to do Shmoop's Finite Math, then you might want to see how College Geometry goes - my Algebra-challenged 15-yo daughter struggled with Algebra, but absolutely LOVES Geometry and is an A student, going through at roughly twice the pace that she went through Algebra I (she has self-paced math lab at her high school).

Does anyone know if Shmoop's geometry really transfer to MAT 361 as a UL? That'd be great and we can add it to the wiki if so.
Completed TESU BA in CS & Math
Target grad school: OMSCS, or UoTA MOCSO. (Contemplating research)

StudentOLife Wrote:Does anyone know if Shmoop's geometry really transfer to MAT 361 as a UL? That'd be great and we can add it to the wiki if so.

*passes you the time machine* go get 'em credits way back in 2018... you're outta luck on this one...
basically, the ship has sailed shortly after the posts above, when Shmoop got out of the ACE arena...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • StudentOLife
(05-21-2022, 12:09 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
StudentOLife Wrote:Does anyone know if Shmoop's geometry really transfer to MAT 361 as a UL? That'd be great and we can add it to the wiki if so.

*passes you the time machine* go get 'em credits way back in 2018... you're outta luck on this one...
basically, the ship has sailed shortly after the posts above, when Shmoop got out of the ACE arena...

Ah the good o' days. Thanks @bjcheung77, for keeping the forum running. You're a hero who've helped countless people like me navigate through this.
Completed TESU BA in CS & Math
Target grad school: OMSCS, or UoTA MOCSO. (Contemplating research)

(02-25-2018, 09:04 PM)Ideas Wrote: Does your work need them to be actual college credits?

The easiest, lowest math course that TESU takes is Applied Liberal Arts Mathematics. You can take the TECEP exam for that. But it's an exam without a course. I'm not sure you can get this through a course.

The next easiest is probably Quantitative Business Analysis, then Intermediate Algebra. Then College Algebra. I think Shmoop has both Algebra. I'm not sure if QBA is available through a course. It's available though an exam.

Quant Bus Analy sounds hard
DSST Environment & Race to Save Humanity *  51/80 Clep CIS  63/80
College Math  66/80 * DSST Business Law II  -  No Pass
Principles of Mgmt  61/80 * A/I Lit  51/80 retest 61/80
Social Sciences and History -  66/80  -  A * Freshman Composition  -  60/80
Intro to Computers  426 -Current System - p/f = pass * Intro to Modern Middle East Studies -  61/80
Human Cultural Geography  -  61/80 * US History I  - A   -61/80
US History II - A  68/80 * Civil War  -  A   57/80
Intro to World Religions  - A  68/80 * Intro to Bus Law -  64/80    A
Public Speaking 55/80  A * MIS 429/500 * Statistics 459/500 * MacroEconomics  57/80
MicroEconomics   53/80 (ran out no money in meter) * Criminal Justice 418/500
English Comp with Essay 58/80 * Personal Finance 406/500 (Ran thru IC once & test once... 40 minutes/98 questions.. close call) 
Principle of Supervision -  436/500 * Clep American Government 67/80  
FEMA's Completed - 49 (sorry i'm addicted to them).

BA - Criminal Justice - Central State University
AAS - Computer Science - TESU
AAS - BOG - Info Tech - Pierpont
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  FREE Voucher for Microsoft AI Skills Challenge coming soon - potential ACE credits BritStudent 8 660 11 hours ago
Last Post: hsufeng
  Excelsior Transfer Credits, limit? Stoffelhoff89 4 206 04-16-2024, 04:24 PM
Last Post: Stoffelhoff89
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 183 03-27-2024, 07:53 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 5,184 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,888 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 595 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Searching for Fire Science Credits CGaboury 6 595 01-11-2024, 12:45 AM
  Transfer Sophia.org credits to Penn State World Campus? nomaduser 16 3,083 12-19-2023, 12:38 AM
Last Post: Dlynn1219
  Straighterline etc - Graduate Credits in Education? nykorn 5 646 10-22-2023, 07:56 PM
  ACTFL no longer give ACE credits? Kab 16 1,402 08-10-2023, 04:41 AM
Last Post: rachel83az