Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Need 12 Math Credits - Please Help (and read :) )
(02-27-2018, 07:48 AM)homeschoolmom1 Wrote: Just FYI, study.com Intro to reasoning comes in for a whopping 4 credits of liberal arts math. Not bad for a reasonably priced easy math class.

Good morning!
Does that class transfer into TESU as 4 credits? And do you know which course title and number thats would transfer in as? Thank you!
Yes, 4 credits of MAT-105 Applied Liberal Arts Math
(02-27-2018, 10:04 AM)acamp Wrote:
(02-27-2018, 07:48 AM)homeschoolmom1 Wrote: Just FYI, study.com Intro to reasoning comes in for a whopping 4 credits of liberal arts math. Not bad for a reasonably priced easy math class.

Good morning!
Does that class transfer into TESU as 4 credits?  And do you know which course title and number thats would transfer in as?  Thank you!

This is Study.com's MAT97: Intro to Mathematical Reasoning that I listed.  I didn't realize that it would come in for 4cr.  The good news is that this would help make up for a 2cr math course that you might want.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(02-27-2018, 10:14 AM)dfrecore Wrote:

Good morning!
Does that class transfer into TESU as 4 credits?  And do you know which course title and number thats would transfer in as?  Thank you!

This is Study.com's MAT97: Intro to Mathematical Reasoning that I listed.  I didn't realize that it would come in for 4cr.  The good news is that this would help make up for a 2cr math course that you might want.

I appreciate all the help.

(02-27-2018, 10:14 AM)dfrecore Wrote:

Good morning!

And lastly, for math courses (or any courses for that matter), which site do you recommend the most? Study, shmoop, Sophia, saylor, StraighterLine?

I would make this a poll question but can figure it out on the app haha. Thank you!
I would recommend Study.com, especially for that many credits in a vertical moving subject area such as math. Study.com does a very good job of teaching, and there could likely be some overlap in lessons.  I find it is easier to start and finish with one provider on a given subject; you tend to pick up a rhythm with the material being presented in a continuous format. If your job is requiring that much math I'm going to assume they want you to not only have credits in it, but to actually understand it.

I am curious what you do as to your employer requiring this many college level math credits; are you working towards a degree, or already have one and find yourself short math courses? If you're will to share that information inquiring minds would like to know Smile
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

Hello! I appreciate your response. As for study.com in regards to course difficulty, would you recommend that as better in regards to difficulty over the other available options for credits?

As for my fun 12-additional math credits, I need them since I’m working on an additional teaching cert that I missed being grandfathered into.
(02-27-2018, 12:06 PM)acamp Wrote: Hello!  I appreciate your response.  As for study.com in regards to course difficulty, would you recommend that as better in regards to difficulty over the other available options for credits?

As for my fun 12-additional math credits,   I need them since I’m working on an additional teaching cert that I missed being grandfathered into.

If you are not already math savvy I would recommend them (Study.com) as less difficult; they will teach as you test in an easy to learn manner (all while moving along as quickly as you wish).  If you are already math savvy then there are other options that will give you the option to 'test out' of what you already know.  So, again if you're not already math savvy the other more direct just 'test out' options will require you to find prep methods, and self educate yourself before taking the exams - which does not save time or money in most cases.

Shmoop, although very low cost, is not (imo) a friendly and quick option for most people; it's very awkward - they do offer a 24 hours free trial, so you could try before you buy and see if it is something you'd like.  They do offer quite a few college math options, so again it would give you the benefit of the one provider, and they do not require proctoring.  https://www.shmoop.com/college-credit/

I've taken courses through Sophia, and I just don't see how there presentation format would be a good choice for math. They offer only two courses that would that would count at TESU (College Algebra and Introduction to Statics, 3 credits each), and they are one of the most expensive options.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

Thank you for your response. Yes I tried doing the CLEP-study route but as you said that turns out to be more difficult and overwhelming with trying to find all the books, practice tests, websites, etc.

How about StraighterLine? Any experiences with that for math (or any credit based classes).

Thanks again
(02-27-2018, 11:33 AM)allvia Wrote: I would recommend Study.com, especially for that many credits in a vertical moving subject area such as math. Study.com does a very good job of teaching, and there could likely be some overlap in lessons.  I find it is easier to start and finish with one provider on a given subject; you tend to pick up a rhythm with the material being presented in a continuous format. 

The other good thing about using Study.com for all of your math: the % completed will go from one course to the next if there is any overlap.  Meaning if you took MAT97, then anything that would also have some of those same subjects would be marked as "completed" in all of the rest of the math courses, and you would have less to do in subsequent courses.  So, for example, when you start MAT102, it might show as 15% completed.  And MAT101 might show as 5% completed.  Just making those numbers up, but there will be SOME overlap with the courses.

So I suggest that you start there, and then branch out when you hit your limit on how hard it is.

Go in this order
MAT97 or MAT102 in either order
MAT101 (if this is too hard, stop)
GEOM101 (try this)

There's also MAT99 (no credit I don't think) then STAT101 if you want to try for it.

Most people have different parts of math that they're good at, and parts that they aren't good at, and the only way to know is to try.  So you might be terrible at Algebra but good at Geometry or Stats.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • acamp
I appreciate your time and response - thank you.

Just to clarify - for those overlapping questions that you mentioned might show as 15% complete, do you still have to take quizzes for those sections that overlap?

And also, for quizzes on study.com, I know there are a lot in each class. How many questions per each quiz? Do they give you the correct answers after? And if you need to retake, will it be the same questions on each retaken quiz?

Lastly, for the final exam on study, what percent of the final is based out of the quiz questions ?

Sorry for the list of questions.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 103 03-27-2024, 07:53 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 4,882 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,410 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  FREE Voucher for Microsoft AI Skills Challenge coming soon - potential ACE credits BritStudent 7 412 03-07-2024, 12:35 PM
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 553 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Searching for Fire Science Credits CGaboury 6 541 01-11-2024, 12:45 AM
  Transfer Sophia.org credits to Penn State World Campus? nomaduser 16 2,918 12-19-2023, 12:38 AM
Last Post: Dlynn1219
  Straighterline etc - Graduate Credits in Education? nykorn 5 583 10-22-2023, 07:56 PM
  ACTFL no longer give ACE credits? Kab 16 1,350 08-10-2023, 04:41 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Can your Sophia credits be rejected when applying for a Master? ausernameisneeded 24 3,887 08-03-2023, 05:37 AM
Last Post: ausernameisneeded