Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Need 12 Math Credits - Please Help (and read :) )
Oh yeah, Finite Math. I would do Finite Math instead of College Algebra. Much easier.

Since Study.com doesn't have Finite Math, I think you should do Shmoop for it.

I would say the easiest 3 are definitely:
Study.com MAT102: College Mathematics (not available at Shmoop)
Study.com MAT97: Intro to Mathematical Reasoning (not available at Shmoop)
Shmoop Finite Math (not available at Study.com)

And for the 4th I don't know which is easiest:
Study.com MAT101: College Algebra OR Shmoop Mathematics I
I would probably try Shmoop since it would be basically free if you're already doing another Shmoop class.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • acamp
I struggle with Algebra. Would Business Math suffice?
(02-25-2018, 11:09 PM)tripletmom Wrote: I struggle with Algebra.  Would Business Math suffice?

That depends somewhat on what degree you're doing and the school. At TESU, you can do these which are easier than algebra.

MAT-102 (College Math)
Study.com's MAT102: College Mathematics
College Math CLEP (6cr also includes MAT-103)

MAT-105 (Liberal Arts Math)
Study.com's MAT97: Intro to Mathematical Reasoning
Math for Liberal Arts DSST
Applied Liberal Arts Math TECEP

MAT-110 (Finite Math)
Shmoop's Finite Math

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • Tripletmom
(02-25-2018, 10:35 PM)acamp Wrote: WOW - I so appreciate that information, thank you.  

From your experience, and maybe your in the same boat as me with limited math knowledge/classes, do you prefere SHMOOP or STUDY.COM to take these math courses that you outlined above?   Besides the cost being a factor, is SHMOOP or STUDY.COM easier than the other with regards to passing the exams and final test?   Would love to hear your thoughts on that.  Thanks again.

I have never used Shmoop, so I have no idea.  Study.com - I'm currently working on Stats through them, it's fine.  Since I have only taken the other math courses through ALEKS, I'm not a good one to ask.

Except the Applied Liberal Arts TECEP, which was crazy easy - but that was after I'd taken Intermediate and College Algebra.

I would say that you should start with Shmoop and see how it goes - can't beat the price.  If you can get through Finite Math, then move onto Geometry, or even Math I and see how that goes.  If you're having trouble at all, try Study.com.  That's the best advice I can give you.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • acamp
I'm not sure you should do Geometry. Maybe, but know that it's only 2 credits not 3.

Although personally I like geometry compared to higher levels of algebra or stats. I did Shmoop Geometry and non-math Study.com classes.

(02-26-2018, 02:49 AM)Ideas Wrote: I'm not sure you should do Geometry. Maybe, but know that it's only 2 credits not 3.

Although personally I like geometry compared to higher levels of algebra or stats. I did Shmoop Geometry and non-math Study.com classes.

Good afternoon,
Could you tell me where you saw that Geometry is only 2 credits for ACE and TESU?  Thank you!
Ideas is right, Shmoop's Geometry and Math I (and II & III) are all 2cr.

Still worth a go though, you'd just have to take an extra course.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Mat 1, 2, 3 are all 2 credits? But based on a previous post they had the equivalent being a 3-credit TESU course for mat 1, 2, and 3? I’ll try to find that thread post.
They come in as a certain course number, but that doesn't mean that TESU will give them 3cr for it. ACE recommends 2cr, so that's what TESU is going to give them. On the flip side, if you took (for example) College Algebra at another school and it was a 4cr course, they will give you 4cr for it. My Accounting 101 class was 4cr, and TESU gave me 4cr even though their own Accounting 101 course is 3cr.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Ideas
(02-26-2018, 12:33 PM)dfrecore Wrote: They come in as a certain course number, but that doesn't mean that TESU will give them 3cr for it.  ACE recommends 2cr, so that's what TESU is going to give them.  On the flip side, if you took (for example) College Algebra at another school and it was a 4cr course, they will give you 4cr for it.  My Accounting 101 class was 4cr, and TESU gave me 4cr even though their own Accounting 101 course is 3cr.

Hi again,
Here is the thread link that says they would get transferred into TESU as these normal TESU 3-credit courses.  Can you clarify after reading the post?  Thank you!

The post #16 is at:   https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid247425

(02-26-2018, 12:33 PM)dfrecore Wrote: They come in as a certain course number, but that doesn't mean that TESU will give them 3cr for it.  ACE recommends 2cr, so that's what TESU is going to give them.  On the flip side, if you took (for example) College Algebra at another school and it was a 4cr course, they will give you 4cr for it.  My Accounting 101 class was 4cr, and TESU gave me 4cr even though their own Accounting 101 course is 3cr.

Also, can you tell me where you see that ACE recommends 2 credits for the course?  Here is the SHMOOP link but I can't find the recommended ACE credits:  https://www.shmoop.com/courses/mathematics-i-college/

Thanks again!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior Transfer Credits, limit? Stoffelhoff89 4 165 04-16-2024, 04:24 PM
Last Post: Stoffelhoff89
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 175 03-27-2024, 07:53 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 5,125 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,809 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  FREE Voucher for Microsoft AI Skills Challenge coming soon - potential ACE credits BritStudent 7 619 03-07-2024, 12:35 PM
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 592 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Searching for Fire Science Credits CGaboury 6 591 01-11-2024, 12:45 AM
  Transfer Sophia.org credits to Penn State World Campus? nomaduser 16 3,059 12-19-2023, 12:38 AM
Last Post: Dlynn1219
  Straighterline etc - Graduate Credits in Education? nykorn 5 635 10-22-2023, 07:56 PM
  ACTFL no longer give ACE credits? Kab 16 1,401 08-10-2023, 04:41 AM
Last Post: rachel83az