Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Need 12 Math Credits - Please Help (and read :) )
I don't see anywhere in post 16 that suggests the course is 3 credits. As dfrecore said, they come in as a certain course number, but that doesn't mean that TESU will give them 3cr for it.

The ACE database has it at 2 credit. you can search the database here: https://www2.acenet.edu/credit/?fuseacti...chCriteria
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(02-26-2018, 01:51 PM)jsd Wrote: I don't see anywhere in post 16 that suggests the course is 3 credits. As dfrecore said, they come in as a certain course number, but that doesn't mean that TESU will give them 3cr for it.

The ACE database has it  at 2 credit. you can search the database here: https://www2.acenet.edu/credit/?fuseacti...chCriteria

I am new to all of this so please be patient with me if you could.  Let me clarify:  on that post link that I shared, it says that the class gets transferred into TESU as class MAT-115 which is intermediate algebra.  If you look at MAT-115 on TESU's website it says it is 3 credits, and not 2 credits.  

That's where the confusion is.  Please let me know.  I truly appreciate your time.
ACE recommendations are in the ACE database.

As I stated, yes, the course may come in as MAT-115 (or whatever), but you will get the number of credits that the course ACE/NCCRS says that it's worth. So if TESU had a course that was worth 3cr, but you took the course somewhere and got 2cr for it, that's what TESU will give you. Conversely, if you took it somewhere where they gave you 4cr for it, they'd give you the 4. They don't base the number of credits something is worth on their own courses, but on what your school/course provider says it's worth.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
TESU's version of MAT-115 is 3 credits, but you're taking an ACE version (through Shmoop) which is only worth 2 credits. If you took it at TESU (for $1098 or more) then you get 3 credits. If you took it at most B&M schools, you would get 3 credits.

(02-26-2018, 12:49 PM)acamp Wrote:
(02-26-2018, 12:33 PM)dfrecore Wrote: They come in as a certain course number, but that doesn't mean that TESU will give them 3cr for it.  ACE recommends 2cr, so that's what TESU is going to give them.  On the flip side, if you took (for example) College Algebra at another school and it was a 4cr course, they will give you 4cr for it.  My Accounting 101 class was 4cr, and TESU gave me 4cr even though their own Accounting 101 course is 3cr.

Hi again,
Here is the thread link that says they would get transferred into TESU as these normal TESU 3-credit courses.  Can you clarify after reading the post?  Thank you!

The post #16 is at:   https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid247425

(02-26-2018, 12:33 PM)dfrecore Wrote: They come in as a certain course number, but that doesn't mean that TESU will give them 3cr for it.  ACE recommends 2cr, so that's what TESU is going to give them.  On the flip side, if you took (for example) College Algebra at another school and it was a 4cr course, they will give you 4cr for it.  My Accounting 101 class was 4cr, and TESU gave me 4cr even though their own Accounting 101 course is 3cr.

Also, can you tell me where you see that ACE recommends 2 credits for the course?  Here is the SHMOOP link but I can't find the recommended ACE credits:  https://www.shmoop.com/courses/mathematics-i-college/

Thanks again!

You can check the ACE recommendations, and valid dates a course taken would be available for credit for through the ACE site here:
https://www2.acenet.edu/credit/?fuseacti...ripts.main  It is the same page you can create an ACE account.

Chose the link for Check here to see if your course or examination has been reviewed by ACE CREDIT
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

A course can come in as that TESU course number / name, but with a different amount of credits given.

Thank you all for the help - you guys are a great asset here. Sorry if I wasn't following quickly but it makes sense now. Thank you all
(02-25-2018, 09:04 PM)Ideas Wrote: Does your work need them to be actual college credits?

The easiest, lowest math course that TESU takes is Applied Liberal Arts Mathematics. You can take the TECEP exam for that. But it's an exam without a course. I'm not sure you can get this through a course.

The next easiest is probably Quantitative Business Analysis, then Intermediate Algebra. Then College Algebra. I think Shmoop has both Algebra. I'm not sure if QBA is available through a course. It's available though an exam.

I took the TESU course (Liberal Arts Math) and it was totally doable. Only 3 credits though. AND it's a zillion dollars. The DSST would fill this slot as well as the TECEP (but only choose 1 not all 3).

12 credits is a LOT of math. You only need 3 for a degree, 6 if you add statistics for the business degree. 12 gosh.....
I'm not mathy (which is why I took the TESU course) but I did manage to self study and pass the DSST Stats exam (not mathy). Do you know if anything else *might* count as "math" for this job requirement? Maybe something in accounting or statistics? Looking at Dfrecore's list is your best bet.
(02-26-2018, 07:49 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(02-25-2018, 09:04 PM)Ideas Wrote: Does your work need them to be actual college credits?

The easiest, lowest math course that TESU takes is Applied Liberal Arts Mathematics. You can take the TECEP exam for that. But it's an exam without a course. I'm not sure you can get this through a course.

The next easiest is probably Quantitative Business Analysis, then Intermediate Algebra. Then College Algebra. I think Shmoop has both Algebra. I'm not sure if QBA is available through a course. It's available though an exam.

I took the TESU course (Liberal Arts Math) and it was totally doable.  Only 3 credits though.  AND it's a zillion dollars.  The DSST would fill this slot as well as the TECEP (but only choose 1 not all 3).

12 credits is a LOT of math. You only need 3 for a degree, 6 if you add statistics for the business degree.  12 gosh.....  
I'm not mathy (which is why I took the TESU course) but I did manage to self study and pass the DSST Stats exam (not mathy).  Do you know if anything else *might* count as "math" for this job requirement?  Maybe something in accounting or statistics?  Looking at Dfrecore's list is your best bet.

If you read earlier in the post, there are lots of options for math that are below college algebra (MAT-102, MAT-105, MAT-110, MAT-115, GEOM-260, GEOM-361).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • acamp
Just FYI, study.com Intro to reasoning comes in for a whopping 4 credits of liberal arts math. Not bad for a reasonably priced easy math class.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 100 03-27-2024, 07:53 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 4,873 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,400 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  FREE Voucher for Microsoft AI Skills Challenge coming soon - potential ACE credits BritStudent 7 405 03-07-2024, 12:35 PM
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 552 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Searching for Fire Science Credits CGaboury 6 540 01-11-2024, 12:45 AM
  Transfer Sophia.org credits to Penn State World Campus? nomaduser 16 2,916 12-19-2023, 12:38 AM
Last Post: Dlynn1219
  Straighterline etc - Graduate Credits in Education? nykorn 5 581 10-22-2023, 07:56 PM
  ACTFL no longer give ACE credits? Kab 16 1,349 08-10-2023, 04:41 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Can your Sophia credits be rejected when applying for a Master? ausernameisneeded 24 3,887 08-03-2023, 05:37 AM
Last Post: ausernameisneeded