Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Foreign Language BA at TESC or Charter Oaks through testing?
I've only got 6 more exams and a lot of Femas to finish up a BA in Psychology and I'd like to take advantage of my current clepmania momentum to get a second degree. Searching the forum I can see I'm not the first to set their sights on a Foreign Language degree but it doesn't look like anyone has found a way to get it through testing alone. Please bear in mind that I'm still a newbie and just thinking out loud here.

I'm guessing that the language cleps would get split between required and Humanities or GenEd, so I'd have to add the German CLEP and a NY exam to cover language requirements and maybe get a little credit towards towards the UL requirements. Certification in translation and or interpretation of at least 2 languages could cover the major electives. There seem to be enough exams to cover the World History credits, leaving only the problem of Major Writers.

Perhaps the fatal flaw here is that I'm imagining that the required 18 UL credits can come in anywhere. Has anyone done anything like this? Does it make any sense?
BA, Psychology, Thomas Edison - September 2012 with Honors (Arnold Fletcher Award)
(1st round for about 100CR: 11/28/11-12/22/11, long break, 2nd round to finish: 6/12/12-6/25/12)
ECE: Research Methods in Experimental Psychology - A | Social  Psychology - A | Psychology of Adulthood - B | Abnormal Psychology - A
CLEP:
 Spanish - 74 | Analyzing and Interpreting Lit. - 77 | English Comp. w/essay - 58 | Intro to Psych. - 69 | Human Growth and Development - 56 | French - 71 | Introduction to Sociology - 65 | Introductory Educational Psychology - 71 | Social Sciences and History - 59 | American Literature - 50 (Got lucky - zero prep) | Principles of Macroeconomics - 59
DSST:
  Intro to Computing - 435 | Here's to Your Health - 445 | Substance Abuse - 421 | Fundamentals of Counseling - 64 | Organizational Behavior - 70
ALEKS:
 Statistics for Behavioral Science - 70 | Intermediate Algebra - 77 | College Algebra - 77 | PreCalculus - 70 | Trigonometry - 76
FEMA:
24 credits
I am very interested in foreign language and fluent in Spanish. Before deciding upon a major at COSC, I asked my advisor about a foreign language degree at COSC through testing. After all, I figured that if I could score 80 on the Spanish CLEP, I could easily test out of anything that they threw my way. Unfortunately, it's not quite that simple. A language degree is more involved than just speaking with fluency; you also need to know about literature and culture.

My COSC advisor did let me know that their concentration in a foreign language can be completed online, but not through COSC courses. Honestly, it's been so long that I forget which university she recommended. I want to say U of Wisconsin, but I'm probably wrong. (Does anyone know?) The main problem is that there just aren't tests out there that cover the variety of topics that you need to know. So, CLEP Spanish will give you up to 12 credits, but AP Spanish credits duplicate these, so 12 would be the maximum you could get.

I decided to focus on just getting my degree in an area of concentration that would be useful for me and chose a bilingual MBA program with a specialty in emerging markets to further develop my Spanish skills and match my resume with my interests. No, I can't go teach Spanish with my degree, but I'm excited about the direction my career is moving and the potential.

So, if you like foreign language, you may not be able to quickly test out of an undergrad, but you may be able to search and find something just as good or better for a graduate degree. (see my signature for my program) I would probably not recommend spending a lot of time taking online language courses at the undergrad level unless you really want to.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
Thanks for the input, Burbuja. I was hoping someone, like you, with first hand experience would come out of the woodwork. It is encouraging to know that an advisor actually said it's possible. Searching the ACE database yielded only language credits. I used to own a language academy in Madrid and have achieved varying degrees of fluency in several languages. I've already gotten 24 credits for the Spanish and French Cleps. Talk about bang for your buck! I've got plans for a masters in Applied Linguistics at some point and at a much more relaxed pace. In the meantime, it would be nice to have a language degree to go along with the BA in Psych.

I'm a language geek with a penchant for French and Spanish (Iberian Peninsula) Literature and the Social Sciences. Now if only I could find the appropriate exams.
BA, Psychology, Thomas Edison - September 2012 with Honors (Arnold Fletcher Award)
(1st round for about 100CR: 11/28/11-12/22/11, long break, 2nd round to finish: 6/12/12-6/25/12)
ECE: Research Methods in Experimental Psychology - A | Social  Psychology - A | Psychology of Adulthood - B | Abnormal Psychology - A
CLEP:
 Spanish - 74 | Analyzing and Interpreting Lit. - 77 | English Comp. w/essay - 58 | Intro to Psych. - 69 | Human Growth and Development - 56 | French - 71 | Introduction to Sociology - 65 | Introductory Educational Psychology - 71 | Social Sciences and History - 59 | American Literature - 50 (Got lucky - zero prep) | Principles of Macroeconomics - 59
DSST:
  Intro to Computing - 435 | Here's to Your Health - 445 | Substance Abuse - 421 | Fundamentals of Counseling - 64 | Organizational Behavior - 70
ALEKS:
 Statistics for Behavioral Science - 70 | Intermediate Algebra - 77 | College Algebra - 77 | PreCalculus - 70 | Trigonometry - 76
FEMA:
24 credits
Canada's Athabasca University (which is US Regionally Accredited as well, BTW), might have some options for you, including test-out options.
Wow, Yenisei!:hurray: I just had a look. They've got a challenge option against many relevant courses. Great find.
Thank you.
CLEP:
DSST:
ALEKS:
FEMA:
24 credits
You should find out how many UL credits you'd get using the NY exam, that would be a starting point. 18 for the degree, and they'd all have to be in your major, so even if you were able to pass every foreign language CLEP, those all just bring you 100/200 level credits- not enough to get a full degree. Keep looking, I'd love to see a degree plan for this!
I just finished discussing a BA in Spanish with a very helpful TESC adviser and wanted to share this info for anyone considering a language degree or, incidentally, any second BA there.

All of the major credits can be earned through Prior Learning Assessment by way of structured interviews and, most likely, writing "papers". Six CLEP language credits can be applied to the major with the other six falling into humanities, general education or free elective.

I enrolled and applied for graduation for the first degree yesterday. According to the adviser, my tuition is valid for one year, although my status will automatically change to inactive after graduation. This is important because I was under the impression that enrollment terminated upon graduation. To pursue the second BA I only have to reactivate, earn 24 new credits in Spanish and pay the graduation fee.

I'm looking at grad schools and Prior Learning Assessment Tuition is $145/credit so I'm not sure I'll do it, but it is possible.
CLEP:
DSST:
ALEKS:
FEMA:
24 credits

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Charter Oak (COSC) maximum credits from one source nosey561 1 1,671 08-30-2018, 10:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Are there any Shmoop courses that Charter Oak will accept as upper level? nosey561 2 2,045 08-30-2018, 05:55 PM
Last Post: nosey561
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,580 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  Charter Oak struggles as well, not just Excelsior Lewis.Yim 24 4,717 06-18-2018, 11:39 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Course plan for BS in Psychology from Charter Oak ryanaryn 15 3,403 06-10-2018, 11:55 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
Thumbs Up Charter Oak apply for free through 01/05/18 allvia 4 2,636 06-02-2018, 02:40 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Does Excelsior College/Charter Oak accept TECEP vetvso 1 1,611 05-30-2018, 08:07 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  COSC gen ed classes, from SL or credit by testing pluggingalong 10 2,591 05-14-2018, 02:00 PM
Last Post: randomatom
  Charter Oak - Paralegal Studies BSBRose21 0 1,024 05-08-2018, 09:48 AM
Last Post: BSBRose21
  Are there any Programming Language courses in Python that TESU will accept? camjenks 2 1,095 04-26-2018, 07:43 AM
Last Post: Sapientes