Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free Courses for DOD
(12-26-2017, 11:24 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I have a degree plan for the BSBA in General Management from TESU using CLEP/DSST for the majority of the degree.  There are a few courses that can't be taken that way, but between CLEP, DSST, The Institutes, a Sophia course, you are set.

Add to that paying out of pocket for 8 TECEP exams ($117 each, so a total of $936), and as an active-duty member of the military, you could  skip the residency waiver.

You could actually get the degree for $2000!!!

I can't help you with the Software Engineering degree, as TESU doesn't have one - but I can tell you that it's easier to get that 2nd bachelor's degree after you've finished the first one.  Many schools will waive the Gen Ed's, or only make you take a certain number of credits in your major as a 2nd degree.

what about any IT or IS degrees? costs and plan?
You can do a BSBA CIS. You can also add a computer science ASNSM that duplicates the CIS area of study. Costs would be comparable.

Note: The CIS and ASNSM are pretty basic. I would plan to crank out some certifications after the degrees.
Benon - I second the BSBA with General Management & CIS double concentration option, you can go for the ASNSM Comp Sci & Math at the same time. However, you need to know that the BSBA is a "Business Degree" with a Concentration in CIS. AS in Natural Science/Math is an undergrad degree that may get you 60 credits into a Software Engineering degree.

An example of a Software Engineering program would be from Penn State, they will need at minimum 36 credits taken at their school for residency, it's similar to Temple U - but Temple will require 45 credits residency. It's great you mentioned Software Engineering, otherwise I would need to ask "what engineering". See this thread for my recommendation https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/showthr...?tid=28106
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • benon
This is my TESU evaluation for the area of study in the BSBA CIS.

4: Computer Inf Sys (18SH: 12SH must be upper level) (In progress)
SH Earned: 17 GPA Achieved/Needed: none / 2.000 Complete all 3 subrequirements:

A: Programming 3 SH (Complete)
*must earn a grade of C/CR or better
For TESU course options, please contact an Advisor
Source Course Title Term Grade SH TESU # Notes
3 COS-213 C++ Programming 11/19/17 CR 4.00 COS-213
*NEW *NE
B: Systs Analy/Dsgn 3SH (Not started)
*must earn a grade of C/CR or better
For TESU course options, go to CIS-320 Systems Analysis and Design I
______ _______________ _________________________ __________ _______ _______ __________
3 credits needed
C: CIS Electives 12 SH (Complete)
*must earn grades of C/CR or better
Within the Electives, 3 semester hours may be additional programming language credits.

For TESU and other course options, please contact an Advisor < /a> **At least 12 semester hours within the entire Specialization must be at the 300/400 level.

SH Earned: 13

Group 2 (Complete)
3 MAR-441 Mrktng Digital & Social Media 07/05/17 CR 3.00 MAR-441
*NEW *NE
Group 3 (Complete)
1 CIS-301 Management Information Systems 06/09/17 CR 3.00 CIS-301
*NEW *NE
Group 4 (Complete)
!! Exception Over in AOS (1 sh) -- needs 2 sh
3 CAP-385 Network Security 03/21/17 CR 2.00 CAP-385
*NEW *NE
Group 5 (Complete)
!! Exception courses ok
SH Earned: 5
3 CIS-344 Computer Security 03/16/17 CR 2.00 CIS-344
*NEW *NE
3 CIS-107 Computer Concepts and Appl 10/22/17 CR 3.00 CIS-107
*NEW *NE

5: Electives (6sh) (Waived)
!! Exception 2nd Degree

I took the C++ programming class at Straighterline (Hard!)
I took the Systems Analysis exam at Colorado State Univ. Global Campus (CBE)
MAR-441 is at Study.com
CIS-301 is in a bunch of places
CAP-385 and CIS-344 were free at Texas A&M. They might be gone or going away, so you might want to do those, if they are still live before Jan. 1.!!!!!!!!
CIS-107 is the other tech class at Straighterline.

I posted my evaluations for the ASNSM's in math and computer science on this thread:
https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/showthr...ght=battle

You can also do certificates in CIS, cybersecurity and computer science, depending on what combination of things you decide on for the main degree(s).
[-] The following 1 user Likes eriehiker's post:
  • benon
(12-27-2017, 01:38 PM)benon Wrote:
(12-26-2017, 11:24 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I have a degree plan for the BSBA in General Management from TESU using CLEP/DSST for the majority of the degree.  There are a few courses that can't be taken that way, but between CLEP, DSST, The Institutes, a Sophia course, you are set.

Add to that paying out of pocket for 8 TECEP exams ($117 each, so a total of $936), and as an active-duty member of the military, you could  skip the residency waiver.

I can't help you with the Software Engineering degree, as TESU doesn't have one - but I can tell you that it's easier to get that 2nd bachelor's degree after you've finished the first one.  Many schools will waive the Gen Ed's, or only make you take a certain number of credits in your major as a 2nd degree.

You specifically asked for a Software Engineering degree, and I don't have anything for that.  TESU doesn't even offer one, and that's my area of expertise.

If you just want IT, and not specifically SW Eng, then you might want to look at WGU.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • benon
(12-27-2017, 07:04 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

You specifically asked for a Software Engineering degree, and I don't have anything for that.  TESU doesn't even offer one, and that's my area of expertise.

If you just want IT, and not specifically SW Eng, then you might want to look at WGU.
Thank you guys so much i'll look into everything and will keep you guys posted, but for starters where can i get the general eds out of the way for as close to free as possible, for thankfully as a soldier we have the capabilities to waive CLEP fees, and i believe some DSST though, i'm unsure of that
(12-28-2017, 12:15 AM)benon Wrote:
(12-27-2017, 07:04 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

Thank you guys so much i'll look into everything and will keep you guys posted, but for starters where can i get the general eds out of the way for as close to free as possible, for thankfully as a soldier we have the capabilities to waive CLEP fees, and i believe some DSST though, i'm unsure of that

DSST's should be free as well.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Is there a way to get a bachelors in information technology online with a programming emphasis
Hodges and WGU both have a BS in Software Development, then there's AMU that has a BSIT with Programming Concentration. You have a lot of options if you're looking at IT, it's just the concentration you want to see which is more for you. Excelsior has some too... I suggest Hodges/WGU as they are competency-based, check them out first, then AMU/Excelsior.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(01-06-2018, 01:16 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Hodges and WGU both have a BS in Software Development, then there's AMU that has a BSIT with Programming Concentration.  You have a lot of options if you're looking at IT, it's just the concentration you want to see which is more for you.  Excelsior has some too...  I suggest Hodges/WGU as they are competency-based, check them out first, then AMU/Excelsior.

Do you know of a plan i could follow along with costs if i chose this route?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Star DAU Courses Available Online and For College Credit kvolivera 89 25,872 04-14-2021, 06:12 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Free Online CLEP Training Alpha 2 1,862 01-12-2021, 06:47 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  AMU Reducing Military-Affiliated Master's Tuition to $250/credit (and free books) TheMaskedMutant 1 1,874 11-22-2019, 12:16 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Free Coding bootcamps for veterans: VET TEC program through the VA MNomadic 10 4,225 06-22-2019, 09:21 PM
  Busch Gardens or SeaWorld free for veterans MNomadic 0 1,364 05-20-2019, 11:35 PM
  Free CLEP Score Send Question TheMaskedMutant 4 2,296 01-17-2019, 06:12 AM
Last Post: TheMaskedMutant
  Free Challenge Exams? Marcus Aurelius 4 2,959 08-08-2018, 08:14 AM
Last Post: rach03
  DraftKings Partners With VetsinTech to Offer Free Coding Training to Ex-Military Memb decimon 0 2,091 06-14-2018, 09:08 PM
Last Post: decimon
  Free Splunk Training for Veterans jamshid666 3 3,785 04-26-2018, 05:45 PM
Last Post: quigongene
  Degree for free jshzglr 26 8,993 12-03-2017, 05:03 PM
Last Post: 22gunsonfire