Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Free Winter term for Sophia members, Strayer U
Hey all! I'm sure many of you got the email this morning about free tuition for certain Sophia members for one winter term at Strayer. The fine print reveals that it is only available to people who created an account with Sophia between  March 23 and July 31, which I'm sure applies to many of us here due to the free trial given at that time. It appears to be truly free, including their fees and whatnot. 
https://start.strayer.edu/strayer-sophia...gCode=M429
[-] The following 1 user Likes ylmir's post:
  • nomaduser
Wow! Does anyone have any experience with Strayer and comments on their classes?
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
Too bad that it doesn't apply to people who have had a Sophia account "forever". Congrats to all of you who created an account and have access to this deal!
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Quote:You must have created an account on Sophia.org between the dates of March 23 and July 31, 2020.

I didn't receive an email either, and I'm guessing it's because I already had a Sophia account prior to March.
(10-29-2020, 11:30 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Too bad that it doesn't apply to people who have had a Sophia account "forever". Congrats to all of you who created an account and have access to this deal!

Good point. I got the email, but looking at the fine print, I probably wouldn't qualify, so not worth risking in case they say I'm on the hook for $$$$. 

Also, I got scared off by looking at reviews. 2 out 5 is pretty darn low. I'm not risking trying to get a couple free classes out of them.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/educatio...rayer.html
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • rachel83az
(10-29-2020, 11:39 AM)MNomadic Wrote:
(10-29-2020, 11:30 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Too bad that it doesn't apply to people who have had a Sophia account "forever". Congrats to all of you who created an account and have access to this deal!

Good point. I got the email, but looking at the fine print, I probably wouldn't qualify, so not worth risking in case they say I'm on the hook for $$$$. 

Also, I got scared off by looking at reviews. 2 out 5 is pretty darn low. I'm not risking trying to get a couple free classes out of them.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/educatio...rayer.html

Hmmm, well I hope they wouldn't do something like that. They are RA, aso they have some oversight, and at least in the fine print, they say that no one will be on the hook for money once they start, even if they fail or withdraw (though of course there could be academic repercussions for failing). As far as quality, I don't know too much, just that they are owned by the same company which owns both Sophia and Capella U.
I signed up in May and I didn’t get an email ?
If anyone is able to get a free term, be sure to look into the Strayer's challenge exams. I am not sure how they work currently, but it was possible to take $20 challenge exams for many courses. The only problem was that it required enrollment in at least one $1500 class. If enrollment is free for some people, this could be a way to take many challenge exams cheaply.
[-] The following 2 users Like eriehiker's post:
  • LongRoad, MNomadic
eriehiker Wrote:If anyone is able to get a free term, be sure to look into the Strayer's challenge exams. I am not sure how they work currently, but it was possible to take $20 challenge exams for many courses. The only problem was that it required enrollment in at least one $1500 class. If enrollment is free for some people, this could be a way to take many challenge exams cheaply.

LOL, I was going to make the exact post as this... haha, those $20 challenge exams would mainly be for a Business Admin degree or a Liberal Arts degree, but still very useful in this context, as this would be the cheapest option for Strayer students...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • LongRoad
(10-29-2020, 08:14 PM)eriehiker Wrote: If anyone is able to get a free term, be sure to look into the Strayer's challenge exams.  I am not sure how they work currently, but it was possible to take $20 challenge exams for many courses.  The only problem was that it required enrollment in at least one $1500 class.  If enrollment is free for some people, this could be a way to take many challenge exams cheaply.
Any idea on how these (or even typical courses) have transferred out?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Free Coursera for Californians ashkir 8 2,889 Yesterday, 09:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Free cybersecurity training course, entry level cert, and candidate status through is MNomadic 18 4,013 04-13-2024, 03:50 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Free CUNY 1-credit course - “Bridges to Health Careers/Emerging Trend in Healthcare” ctcarl 9 2,203 02-27-2024, 05:20 PM
Last Post: jch
  University of South Carolina - Free Certificates in Hospitality Management Maniac Craniac 5 1,530 02-15-2024, 12:56 AM
Last Post: BadSquirrelBeta
  Resource: spreadsheet of free courses from Ivy League universities NatsNerd 3 660 02-09-2024, 06:05 PM
Last Post: NatsNerd
  Rutgers - Free Certificate in Leadership & No-Blame Problem Solving Maniac Craniac 5 1,796 02-05-2024, 05:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Free Community Health Worker certificate at Berkeley City College staceydiane 12 2,099 02-01-2024, 02:16 PM
Last Post: staceydiane
  Free Certificate in Public Health Practice (w/6 course completion certs) Maniac Craniac 10 1,815 01-30-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: MFG
  HP & EdX - FREE Professional Certificate in Esports Mgmt, Game Design & Programming Maniac Craniac 11 1,219 01-22-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Free Coding Certificate + Stipend TINASAM 0 581 01-14-2024, 09:05 AM
Last Post: TINASAM