Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Free Winter term for Sophia members, Strayer U
Rainbow 
Victory at last! After six months, this epic transfer credit battle has finally reached a conclusion. These nine Strayer University challenge exam credits are now on my TESU transcript and academic evaluations:
  • CIS-170 Information Technology in Criminal Justice came in as AOJ-288 Intro to Computers Law Enforcement 3cr (AAS CJ elective)
  • CIS-210 Systems Analysis and Development came in as CIS-221 Systems Analysis and Design 3cr (Works for BSBA-CIS Systems requirement)
  • CRJ-105 Crime and Criminal Behavior came in as AOJ-103 Criminology 3cr (Works for AAS CJ Criminology)
Unfortunately, I was not able to transfer in one exam, CIS-109 Intro to Management Infomation Systems. This was the one that did not appear on my Strayer unofficial transcript. After changing my declared major, all of the others were listed. It appears that there isn't a workaround for Strayer challenge exam credits not recorded on the transcript. This particular credit isn't a big deal, as I don't actually need it and it's also available via Saylor (soon) or DSST.  

Strayer has a few unusual transcription practices, which can significantly impair the transferability of credits earned at Strayer. Specifically: 
  • At most other institutions, the transcript reflects a complete academic record of the student. Even if credits are duplicate, repeated, unused, or irrelevant, they are still included. That transcript is then used to build an academic evaluation for the current degree plan. Strayer instead seems to operate in a 'backward' fashion, where credits are evaluated against the degree plan first, before being added to the transcript. Anything that is not used in the current degree plan is not listed.  
  • For accounting convenience, Strayer treats challenge exam credits as transfer credits. Other institutions will not accept these credits because they are not listed under the Strayer portion of the transcript. Other schools have created a better solution in their systems to reflect the status and limitations of challenge exam credits.  
To successfully transfer Strayer challenge exam credits, both hurdles must be overcome. 

Here are the rough steps to earn credits via Strayer challenge exams and transfer them to TESU: 
  1. Be accepted as a Strayer University student. Active enrollment does not appear to be required. As long as a student record has been established, taking and receiving credit for challenge exams should be possible. 
  2. Take and pass challenge exams via ProctorU
  3. Wait for the registrar to process exam results. This normally takes about a week. Once done, challenge exam credits should be included in the transfer credit report on iCampus. 
  4. Check your unofficial transcript, and fix it if required. If an exam didn't apply to the currently selected degree plan, it won't appear on the transcript. Work with the registrar to change your major to something else where the credit will fit, possibly an undeclared major. 
  5. Send an official transcript to TESU via parchment and wait for TESU to receive and evaluate it. 
  6. Appeal your academic evaluation at TESU. Send an email to registrar@TESU.edu with the subject "Appeal of Academic Evaluation". State that you are a former Strayer University student and earned credits at Strayer via their credit by examination program. These credits are listed under the test credits section on your Strayer transcript. Kindly ask what documentation is required for these credits to transfer and where it should be sent. Include your student ID number and full name. 
  7. Someone at TESU should respond to you with information regarding a transcript addendum letter. It should identify and confirm that your challenge exam credits were completed and awarded credit through Strayer. This document should be completed and signed by the Strayer University Registrar and mailed (or emailed) to TESU by Strayer. I worked with Michael at TESU on this, who was great. 
  8. Contact the Strayer registrar via registrar@strayer.edu and state that you are a former Strayer student and transferred to another institution. However, because of how Strayer transcripts challenge exam credits, you could not transfer those credits. Ask for Strayer to write and send a transcript addendum letter per the instructions from the TESU registrar. In your email, identify the numbers, names, and dates of all challenge exam credits earned. Attach your proctorU receipts for each challenge exam, with the course number as the filename. Also, include your Strayer student ID - you can find this on your unofficial transcript. I worked with Steve at Strayer on this issue. 
  9. Strayer should get back to you with a draft letter PDF. Verify that all of the info is correct, and then reply to your TESU email thread from step 7 asking for approval of the draft. Once approved by TESU, send Strayer a confirmation that it's ready for mailing. 
  10. Wait 2-3 weeks (if the letter went by mail). If nothing shows up in webadvisor, reply to the TESU email thread asking if the letter has been received. In my case, TESU never received the letter after a month. They offered to receive it via email instead. Once I provided that email address to Strayer, everything went through on the same day. 
  11. Rejoice. 
Throughout this process, the Strayer registrar was sometimes unresponsive. If they don't reply or follow through on something, just keep bumping them every week or two. 
TESU's email system may send you an automated response stating that tickets opened over thirty days ago cannot be reopened. Just ignore this, all of my emails went through just fine.  

All in all, I do not recommend attempting to earn transferrable credits via Strayer challenge exams. I invested more time and effort into transferring them than I did actually taking the exams. Manual workarounds are required by both Strayer and TESU to make transfers happen. If you've already ventured down this road, I hope that these instructions will help you receive credit for your past achievements.  

I may yet attempt CIS-375 Human Computer Interaction, because I need more UL CIS credits. However, I am tempted to just say good riddance and put Strayer behind me.
TESU Class of 2024 BSBA-CIS+GM, BSIT, ASNSM-CS+Math, AAS-GEN
Earned credits from Sophia, SDC, ASU ULC, TEEX, Microsoft, Strayer, TESU, Saylor, DSST, CLEP, CompTIA, StraighterLine, and others since starting in April 2020
[-] The following 4 users Like jch's post:
  • neutrino, rachel83az, ROYISAGIRL, ss20ts
Awesome! Thanks for the rundown. If you do take CIS-375, let us know how it goes. I've been tempted to try that one myself.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Good for you for getting this done! That was a ridiculous amount of effort to transfer classes. Strayer really doesn't want their exams to leave their school it seems like which is too bad.
I attempted CIS-375 (Human Computer Interaction) today. Like many other Strayer exams, this one resulted in a "This exam has been archived" error message at the point at which the proctor was required to enter the exam password. So, I think this one is out as an option.
[-] The following 1 user Likes eriehiker's post:
  • jch
I've started taking Strayer challenge exams again as I attempt to finish up my AAS - Criminal Justice. Here's how the exams are going: 

CRJ 320 - Criminal Investigation
100 questions, 150 minutes, 70% required
Many questions repeated or similar
Used quizlets for this textbook - search by title and author
Passed, score unknown. Didn't seem that hard. 

LEG 110 - Civil and Criminal Procedures
Exam archived, could not take. ProctorU spent a lot of time trying to get it to work.  

LEG 320 - Criminal Law
50 questions, 150 minutes, 70% required
Many questions on specific court cases. These are essentially the same ones you'll see on other criminal justice exams from DSST or other providers. 
Used quizlets for this textbook - search by title and author
Passed, score unknown. Mild difficulty. A few questions didn't appear to have any correct answers. 

LEG 420 - US Courts
50 questions, 150 minutes, 70% required
Used quizlets for the related textbook - search the full title
Passed, found this one very easy. Tons of overlap with the other CRJ stuff. 

CRJ 420 - Emergency Management Procedures
Exam archived, could not take. ProctorU spent a lot of time trying to get it to work.  

SEC310 - Homeland Security Organization and Administration 
50 questions, 90 minutes, 70% required
Failed, poor quality exam. Most of the questions had phrasing, grammar, or spelling mistakes. Often, several or all of the choices were reasonable responses. 
Lots of random trivia that you would never realistically know. For example, Agency X had Y,000 officers in 200Z. 

Surprisingly, I had good experiences with ProctorU taking all of these exams. They got things going quickly without any technical or operational hitches. I just had to remind them to get the exam link from their notes. What caused this dramatic change from my earlier experiences? 
The application of security procedures was still irregular, though. 
They promptly credited or refunded my account in full for the archived exams.

Now, on to the bad news. Several weeks have passed since the first exam, but nothing has appeared on icampus or my unofficial transcript. The transfer report button, which used to show challenge exam results, is missing from my academic dashboard. Currently, it shows me as having 0% degree progress and negative 4.5 credits!? This may be because my enrollment has lapsed. Also, instead of switching to undeclared major status as I requested, my advisor moved me to another IT degree program. Fortunately, my unofficial transcript still includes the courses and exams from the winter/spring. I don't want to take anything else until my recently completed exams are reflected somewhere. I still particularly need CRJ 410 - Corrections (no other alt credit options) and want CRJ 330 - Comparative CJ. Strayer transfer battle 2.0 may be incoming. 

Side note: the list of available challenge exams on the ProctorU page doesn't match the Strayer site. I noticed an available exam for CIS 373 - Web Design and Development. Unfortunately, Strayer already has my completion of the Sophia web dev course on record for this credit. I could have used another UL CIS opportunity.
TESU Class of 2024 BSBA-CIS+GM, BSIT, ASNSM-CS+Math, AAS-GEN
Earned credits from Sophia, SDC, ASU ULC, TEEX, Microsoft, Strayer, TESU, Saylor, DSST, CLEP, CompTIA, StraighterLine, and others since starting in April 2020

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Free CUNY 1-credit course - “Bridges to Health Careers/Emerging Trend in Healthcare” ctcarl 9 2,090 02-27-2024, 05:20 PM
Last Post: jch
  University of South Carolina - Free Certificates in Hospitality Management Maniac Craniac 5 1,424 02-15-2024, 12:56 AM
Last Post: BadSquirrelBeta
  Resource: spreadsheet of free courses from Ivy League universities NatsNerd 3 585 02-09-2024, 06:05 PM
Last Post: NatsNerd
  Rutgers - Free Certificate in Leadership & No-Blame Problem Solving Maniac Craniac 5 1,709 02-05-2024, 05:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Free Community Health Worker certificate at Berkeley City College staceydiane 12 2,023 02-01-2024, 02:16 PM
Last Post: staceydiane
  Free Certificate in Public Health Practice (w/6 course completion certs) Maniac Craniac 10 1,695 01-30-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: MFG
  HP & EdX - FREE Professional Certificate in Esports Mgmt, Game Design & Programming Maniac Craniac 11 1,120 01-22-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Free Coding Certificate + Stipend TINASAM 0 498 01-14-2024, 09:05 AM
Last Post: TINASAM
  ASU Sustainable Earth Business Sustainability Courses, Free Online Jonathan Whatley 3 612 12-26-2023, 04:45 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Gav 4 Free (Gavilan College) MissRN 14 4,755 09-18-2023, 09:13 PM
Last Post: Randyb100