Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Free Winter term for Sophia members, Strayer U
(01-21-2021, 11:11 AM)eriehiker Wrote: I tried taking LEG 110 Civil and Criminal Procedures and once again got the "exam archived" error message. I called my adviser because I thought that maybe challenge exams had ended. He didn't seem to think so. He also didn't think that it was a specific account issue for me. Has anyone else tried a challenge exam lately?

I'm not taking any more until I get an update on the transfer situation. Strayer still hasn't responded to me about that. Right now I'm working ahead in my classes and taking my CompTIA certification exams using Strayer's discount.
TESU Class of 2024 BSBA-CIS+GM, BSIT, ASNSM-CS+Math, AAS-GEN
Earned credits from Sophia, SDC, ASU ULC, TEEX, Microsoft, Strayer, TESU, Saylor, DSST, CLEP, CompTIA, StraighterLine, and others since starting in April 2020
(01-21-2021, 12:05 PM)jch Wrote:
(01-21-2021, 11:11 AM)eriehiker Wrote: I tried taking LEG 110 Civil and Criminal Procedures and once again got the "exam archived" error message.  I called my adviser because I thought that maybe challenge exams had ended.  He didn't seem to think so.  He also didn't think that it was a specific account issue for me.  Has anyone else tried a challenge exam lately?

I'm not taking any more until I get an update on the transfer situation. Strayer still hasn't responded to me about that. Right now I'm working ahead in my classes and taking my CompTIA certification exams using Strayer's discount.

Which comptia exams are you going for?
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(01-21-2021, 02:22 PM)MNomadic Wrote:
(01-21-2021, 12:05 PM)jch Wrote: Right now I'm working ahead in my classes and taking my CompTIA certification exams using Strayer's discount.

I just did both of the A+ exams earlier this week, passed with 860 and 831. While it won't get any credit at TESU, A+ is basically THE entry level IT certification that everything else builds on. I did it online through Pearson's OnVUE proctoring service, which worked well.

TESU offers credit for many of the CompTIA exams: https://www2.tesu.edu/oplr/company.php?client=CompTIA
and others may be available through CACE reviews. I should email the PLR people, as several of the reviews have expired or are nearing expiration.

I intend to take at least Network+, Security+, Linux+, and Cloud+. I'm already familiar with much of the content, but I just never got around to taking the actual exams in the past. Now, with access to discount codes, online proctoring, and potential college credit, it's the right time to get them done.

Strayer has a portal through XVoucher that makes it super easy to purchase an academic exam voucher (~half the normal price) for CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Cisco CCNA, Microsoft MOS, PMP, and EC-Council. You just have to register with your Strayer email, and there's no other verification. It seems like you can link external email addresses after registration in order to retain access after leaving Strayer.
Earned credits from Sophia, SDC, ASU ULC, TEEX, Microsoft, Strayer, TESU, Saylor, DSST, CLEP, CompTIA, StraighterLine, and others since starting in April 2020
(01-21-2021, 03:57 PM)jch Wrote:
(01-21-2021, 12:05 PM)jch Wrote: Right now I'm working ahead in my classes and taking my CompTIA certification exams using Strayer's discount.

I just did both of the A+ exams earlier this week, passed with 860 and 831. While it won't get any credit at TESU, A+ is basically THE entry level IT certification that everything else builds on. 

WGU requires these 2 exams for every IT degree they have.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(01-21-2021, 03:57 PM)jch Wrote:

I just did both of the A+ exams earlier this week, passed with 860 and 831. While it won't get any credit at TESU, A+ is basically THE entry level IT certification that everything else builds on. I did it online through Pearson's OnVUE proctoring service, which worked well.  

TESU offers credit for many of the CompTIA exams: https://www2.tesu.edu/oplr/company.php?client=CompTIA
and others may be available through CACE reviews. I should email the PLR people, as several of the reviews have expired or are nearing expiration.  

I intend to take at least Network+, Security+, Linux+, and Cloud+. I'm already familiar with much of the content, but I just never got around to taking the actual exams in the past. Now, with access to discount codes, online proctoring, and potential college credit, it's the right time to get them done.  

Strayer has a portal through XVoucher that makes it super easy to purchase an academic exam voucher (~half the normal price) for CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Cisco CCNA, Microsoft MOS, PMP, and EC-Council. You just have to register with your Strayer email, and there's no other verification. It seems like you can link external email addresses after registration in order to retain access after leaving Strayer.

The reason I asked is I recently completed a bunch of CompTIA exams in 2020 and wanted to share links to some resources I used:
My post on DegreeForum(#82)
It links to my reddit post on Network+ which also has links to the free youtube videos I used and other free or cheap resources I used. My net+ post on reddit also links to my reddit posts on sec+ and server+. I never did a writeup for A+. Anyways good luck, just trying to spread some good study resources out there.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 2 users Like MNomadic's post:
  • jch, unfilteredsoul
Okay. I am back on track. I took the MKT 312 test. That one was easy and I passed.
Updates:

CRJ 420: Emergency Management Procedures returns the "exam archived" error and I couldn't take it.
BUS 402: Small Business Management is actually 80 questions rather than 50. I passed with 71%.
I also passed ITB 305: International Business Environment with an 84. I failed Business Ethics BUS 309 with a 64 and SEC 310: Homeland Security Organization and Administration with a 54.

Currently, I am up to 31.5 credit hours at Strayer. That is equivalent to 21 semester hours.
[-] The following 2 users Like eriehiker's post:
  • jch, rachel83az
Thanks for the updates! I still haven't heard back from Strayer on my appeal regarding how challenge exams are transcripted. I'll try to ask again on Monday. I personally have not taken any more challenge exams recently, as I don't want to gamble any more at this time and have other things to work on.

Are you receiving refunds for the exams that are archived or otherwise not working?

I just passed my CompTIA Network+ today, and I'm trying to pass Cloud+ before the TESU review expires on February 8th. No word yet from the TESU PLR office about any possible renewals or extensions for the CompTIA stuff.

Currently, I'm a few weeks ahead in my Strayer classes. I see that they have a winter term mini-session starting mid-February, which I may attempt to pursue. My success coach said she'd investigate if the Sophia scholarship could be used for it, but hasn't provided an answer yet. I'll ask again next week.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jch's post:
  • eriehiker
Yes. I am receiving refunds for the archived exams.

This week, I have waited until the last minute on the actual classes. I will do everything tomorrow. Smile

Keep me updated on the mini-session. Maybe there is something there that would be interesting.

Cheers!
I am a week behind in my networking class (which the instructor said at the beginning was okay; no penalties). I intended to work ahead but I've also got a handful of XAMK classes running at the same time. I probably should've looked at the dates more closely for those. It's kind of put a damper on my intention to study for the Strayer challenge exams. It'd be worth it to take discrete math and human-computer interaction just in case they transfer. If it turns out that they do transfer, I hope I can at least take them after the winter term ends.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Free CUNY 1-credit course - “Bridges to Health Careers/Emerging Trend in Healthcare” ctcarl 9 2,087 02-27-2024, 05:20 PM
Last Post: jch
  University of South Carolina - Free Certificates in Hospitality Management Maniac Craniac 5 1,422 02-15-2024, 12:56 AM
Last Post: BadSquirrelBeta
  Resource: spreadsheet of free courses from Ivy League universities NatsNerd 3 584 02-09-2024, 06:05 PM
Last Post: NatsNerd
  Rutgers - Free Certificate in Leadership & No-Blame Problem Solving Maniac Craniac 5 1,709 02-05-2024, 05:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Free Community Health Worker certificate at Berkeley City College staceydiane 12 2,021 02-01-2024, 02:16 PM
Last Post: staceydiane
  Free Certificate in Public Health Practice (w/6 course completion certs) Maniac Craniac 10 1,695 01-30-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: MFG
  HP & EdX - FREE Professional Certificate in Esports Mgmt, Game Design & Programming Maniac Craniac 11 1,118 01-22-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Free Coding Certificate + Stipend TINASAM 0 497 01-14-2024, 09:05 AM
Last Post: TINASAM
  ASU Sustainable Earth Business Sustainability Courses, Free Online Jonathan Whatley 3 612 12-26-2023, 04:45 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Gav 4 Free (Gavilan College) MissRN 14 4,754 09-18-2023, 09:13 PM
Last Post: Randyb100