Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Free Winter term for Sophia members, Strayer U
Looks like classes are just about done for everyone. I, for one, am not impressed with the classes I had, particularly their required one, WRK100, and I suspect most other classes are not much better, if my second class is any indication. If I had paid for the classes, I would be insulted that they require WRK100, it was that bad. Otherwise, interested to see how you all transfer things, particularly those challenge exams. Anyone else have any updates to share?
[-] The following 1 user Likes ylmir's post:
  • rachel83az
(02-07-2021, 01:39 AM)eriehiker Wrote: Oh, man!  The project management challenge exam - BUS 375 - is a killer.  I have become used to the quick 50 question in and out exams.  So, I figured a midnight exam tonight wouldn't be too bad.  Haha!  It ended up being 207 questions.  I did a double take when the exam loaded.  So, I got my mind back in the game, took the exam and passed.  It was actually probably a good thing in terms of passing to have that many questions because the 50 question exams kind of have a fluky quality to them.  A couple of poorly worded questions can make the difference.  That said, 207 questions is a lot of questions.

207 questions on 1 exam? Wow that is a LONG exam! That's rough. How long do you have to complete the exam?
I surpassed 1000 points (100% on Strayer's grading scale) a few weeks ago in CIS110 and 111. CIS110 Computer programming design was okay, thanks to the engaged professor. Otherwise I don't have a particularly high opinion of the quality at Strayer. I haven't had time for any other challenge exams, and there are no updates on transfers.
TESU Class of 2024 BSBA-CIS+GM, BSIT, ASNSM-CS+Math, AAS-GEN
Earned credits from Sophia, SDC, ASU ULC, TEEX, Microsoft, Strayer, TESU, Saylor, DSST, CLEP, CompTIA, StraighterLine, and others since starting in April 2020
Grades finalized, transcript sent off to TESU. Thank goodness.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
A bit torn, do I keep rolling through or transfer out. About 50% complete with my degree due to transfer credits, military JST/ACE credits, and various professional certificates. Open to anyone's 2c and food for thought. Thanks!
I think that taking actual classes there would be very expensive. If you are using some sort of military or grant assistance, it might make some sense.
(03-29-2021, 11:01 PM)xcloudtset Wrote: A bit torn, do I keep rolling through or transfer out. About 50% complete with my degree due to transfer credits, military JST/ACE credits, and various professional certificates. Open to anyone's 2c and food for thought. Thanks!

Are you an Active Service Person or a Vet? You should consider the Big 3 and the competency based degree providers such as UMASS Global, UMPI, WGU, etc. Strayer is expensive and a for-profit, with an average to below reputation, if it was a last resort, I would look at them then. For cheaper/easier/faster, transfer all your credits to TESU instead - they'll be the best ROI/value.

eriehiker Wrote:I think that taking actual classes there would be very expensive. If you are using some sort of military or grant assistance, it might make some sense.

This is exactly the reason you want to go with the schools I mentioned, if you're still an active service person, then TESU would be your first choice as you can complete the degree by transferring 114 of 120 credits into the degree and just finish with the cornerstone/capstone at a cost of $1500 plus $50 app fee and graduation fee of $298.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(03-29-2021, 11:01 PM)xcloudtset Wrote: A bit torn, do I keep rolling through or transfer out. About 50% complete with my degree due to transfer credits, military JST/ACE credits, and various professional certificates. Open to anyone's 2c and food for thought. Thanks!

You can finish faster and cheaper at any of the big 3 or at UMPI! Even WGU would be a better option. 

IMO, both Strayer and Capella are treading dangerously close to a reputation similar to University of Phoenix. I don't mind having a few Strayer credits but I wouldn't want to have a Strayer degree.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(03-29-2021, 11:36 PM)eriehiker Wrote: I think that taking actual classes there would be very expensive.  If you are using some sort of military or grant assistance, it might make some sense.

I'm going to be utilizing my GI Bill, so it's all covered. Upside is they have a local-ish campus and I'd be able to attend a single course to receive housing allowance each month. It's a HCOL area so the allowance is pretty high.

(03-30-2021, 12:29 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote:

Are you an Active Service Person or a Vet? You should consider the Big 3 and the competency based degree providers such as UMASS Global, UMPI, WGU, etc.  Strayer is expensive and a for-profit, with an average to below reputation, if it was a last resort, I would look at them then.  For cheaper/easier/faster, transfer all your credits to TESU instead - they'll be the best ROI/value.

eriehiker Wrote:I think that taking actual classes there would be very expensive.  If you are using some sort of military or grant assistance, it might make some sense.

This is exactly the reason you want to go with the schools I mentioned, if you're still an active service person, then TESU would be your first choice as you can complete the degree by transferring 114 of 120 credits into the degree and just finish with the cornerstone/capstone at a cost of $1500 plus $50 app fee and graduation fee of $298.

I am a vet and would be utilizing my GI Bill. Tuition would be covered 100% and as stated above the housing allowance aspect of it comes into play. If I were to attend a 100% online program it would be roughly $900/m, if I attend a school that has a campus nearby for a single class, with the rest of the course load online, it jumps to $2500/m. Downside is degree from Strayer. Does the forum have any recs for schools in the DC/VA area?

(03-30-2021, 05:48 AM)rachel83az Wrote:

You can finish faster and cheaper at any of the big 3 or at UMPI! Even WGU would be a better option. 

IMO, both Strayer and Capella are treading dangerously close to a reputation similar to University of Phoenix. I don't mind having a few Strayer credits but I wouldn't want to have a Strayer degree.

I agree, I'd rather avoid a degree from Strayer but I'm able to do a hybrid setup to fully utilize my GI Bill to cover tuition and collect housing allowance in a HCOL area.

TLDR:
Me:
-Vet, utilizing GI Bill
-HCOL area so high housing allowance
-Strayer has a campus in the area
-With transfer credits I'm at 50% completion 
-10 YOE, IT Technical "middle management"
-Want to maximize financials when utilizing GI Bill (Uncle Sam used me, so now I use them)

Feedback on this plan:
1. Complete degree at Strayer and roll to WGU for an MBA
2. Complete degree at Strayer, attend another school for a second Bachelors and then try my luck at getting into Quantic or Lehigh for an MBA
3. Something else entirely

My current company does $8k (more depending on how much they like you) TA, I'd still have some time left on my GI Bill after completion of Strayer degree, and I'd collect that HCOL housing allowance.
@xcloudtset, you're golden with TESU! You can do what most of the users here have done... TESU for undergrad, WGU for undergrad & grad school. Review the signature to several members Merlin, ChiliDawg, JSD, cwendy111, etc... many others are going from a Big 3 undergrad (COSC, Excelsior, TESU) and then a competency based grad (such as WGU, UMPI, UMASS Global). For the cost/ease/speed factors, that is the optimal solution, Big 3 Undergrad/CBE Grad school...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Starbucks ASU FREE Online Courses with Certificate lisarox 2 181 Yesterday, 12:46 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Non-credit Fintech certificate, free, U South Florida freeloader 2 171 04-19-2024, 08:08 PM
  Free cybersecurity training course, entry level cert, and candidate status through is MNomadic 20 4,224 04-19-2024, 01:06 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Free Coursera for Californians ashkir 8 3,043 04-17-2024, 09:49 PM
  Free CUNY 1-credit course - “Bridges to Health Careers/Emerging Trend in Healthcare” ctcarl 9 2,254 02-27-2024, 05:20 PM
Last Post: jch
  University of South Carolina - Free Certificates in Hospitality Management Maniac Craniac 5 1,572 02-15-2024, 12:56 AM
Last Post: BadSquirrelBeta
  Resource: spreadsheet of free courses from Ivy League universities NatsNerd 3 691 02-09-2024, 06:05 PM
Last Post: NatsNerd
  Rutgers - Free Certificate in Leadership & No-Blame Problem Solving Maniac Craniac 5 1,834 02-05-2024, 05:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Free Community Health Worker certificate at Berkeley City College staceydiane 12 2,146 02-01-2024, 02:16 PM
Last Post: staceydiane
  Free Certificate in Public Health Practice (w/6 course completion certs) Maniac Craniac 10 1,893 01-30-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: MFG