Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free XAMK online courses for college credits?
Hey guys,

It looks like XAMK offers lots of other free online courses that worth 3-5 European university credits each:
https://www.xamk.fi/en/openstudies/

How about I take all of them and try to transfer the credits to US colleges?
Would US college accept these credits?
You can get a lot of free credits from XAMK.

Project management, 5 ECTS CR
online studies
11.01.2021 - 31.07.2021

Robotic process automation (RPA), 5 ECTS cr
online studies
18.01.2021 - 31.07.2021

Customer service design and quality of service, 3 ECTS cr
online studies
18.01.2021 - 14.03.2021

Planning of international supply chains, 5 ECTS cr
online studies
22.01.2021 - 02.05.2021

Cross-Cultural Management, 5 ECTS cr
online studies
01.02.2021 - 25.04.2021

and so on...

I'm curious if any of them will transfer as upper-level ???? Huh
[-] The following 1 user Likes nomaduser's post:
  • Pikachu
I am taking these: Marketing Management, Cross-Cultural Management, Customer Experience Management, and then Russian Business Culture because why not.

I doubt any of them will transfer in as upper level but this should at least be 10 "free" (not completely free because the evaluation costs money) RA-type credits that can go towards electives.

If you are even half-considering taking them, I advise you to sign up ASAP. Most are limited to about 100 seats or so and are currently down to a couple dozen openings left. After they're filled, you can ask to be put on a waiting list.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • nomaduser, Pikachu
(12-29-2020, 07:30 AM)rachel83az Wrote: I am taking these: Marketing Management, Cross-Cultural Management, Customer Experience Management, and then Russian Business Culture because why not.

I doubt any of them will transfer in as upper level but this should at least be 10 "free" (not completely free because the evaluation costs money) RA-type credits that can go towards electives.

If you are even half-considering taking them, I advise you to sign up ASAP. Most are limited to about 100 seats or so and are currently down to a couple dozen openings left. After they're filled, you can ask to be put on a waiting list.

Do you think 5 ECTS will transfer as 6 US credits?
and 3 ECTS as 3 US credits??

Not sure how they will transfer. I've already registered for many of them. I'll take all of their free courses.
In general, 2 ECTS = 1 US semester-hour credit. If you take a 60-credit diploma from XAMK, that should be about 30 credits to somewhere like TESU.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
(12-29-2020, 07:54 AM)rachel83az Wrote: In general, 2 ECTS = 1 US semester-hour credit. If you take a 60-credit diploma from XAMK, that should be about 30 credits to somewhere like TESU.

I'm not sure if US universities will accept 3 ECTS courses.... because they will be 1.5 US credits and some universities don't take 1 credit transfer courses. Sad

Those 5 ECTS courses may transfer as 3 credit courses at US universities.
All of the big 3 accept at least one of Sophia's 1-credit courses as electives, at minimum. So, if you're planning to go to one of those, it should be fine because this is not alt-credit. Probably fine.

A bigger concern would be the 1 ECTS courses for the video game creation certificate. I think TESU will accept them but they might not.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Is there any European version online 'Liberal Arts' degree program that will accept all of these random ECTS credits???
Ow this is interesting because i transfer in European credits so I need an evaluation anyway.

(12-29-2020, 08:28 AM)nomaduser Wrote: Is there any European version online 'Liberal Arts' degree program that will accept all of these random ECTS credits???

Not what I know.
COMPLETED

ASU: Human Origins (3)
Sophia: Developing Effective Teams (1) Student Success (1)  The Ess. of Managing Conflict (1) Art History 1 (3) US History 1(3) Religions (3) Environmental science (3) Ancient Greek Philosophers (3) English Comp 1 (3) 
Visual communications (3) Art History 2 (3) Introduction to psychology (3) Introduction to Ethics (3) US History 2 (3) Human Biology (3) 
Communication at Work (3) Conflict resolution(3)

The institute: Ethics 312 (3)
Shmoop: Holocaust Literature (3) American National Government (3) Introduction to Drama (3)

IN PROGRESS
Sophia:    
European degrees aren't like American degrees. WGU is a good example of a European-style degree program: little to no electives and a very focused curriculum. It would be very hard, if not impossible, to find a European program that would accept all the XAMK ECTS. From what little I know, you would probably be better off looking for a UK degree that might work. They seem to be a little looser in requirements and allow more transfer credits than other European schools but I could be wrong. I wouldn't rely on being able to find a Euro school that will take all the ECTS.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
(12-29-2020, 10:29 AM)rachel83az Wrote: European degrees aren't like American degrees. WGU is a good example of a European-style degree program: little to no electives and a very focused curriculum. It would be very hard, if not impossible, to find a European program that would accept all the XAMK ECTS. From what little I know, you would probably be better off looking for a UK degree that might work. They seem to be a little looser in requirements and allow more transfer credits than other European schools but I could be wrong. I wouldn't rely on being able to find a Euro school that will take all the ECTS.

I think I have a better idea about that.

So, UK universities offer online 1-year top-up programs.
If you have a diploma from other school, you can apply to a top-up degree program and get a degree within a year for under 10k GBP.

What if I can use that XAMK Tourism Business Diploma to apply to this one-year 6k GBP degree program at University of Essex?
https://online.essex.ac.uk/courses/business-top-up/

XAMK Diploma of Higher Education -> BA in Business Management (Top-up, 1 year, 6k GBP) could totally work out.

Let me ask them if they will allow me to apply to the program with a XAMK diploma.
University of Essex is a very popular school by the way:
https://www.timeshighereducation.com/wor...sity-essex

I just sent them an email.
So, they require some kind of diploma to get into this online top-up degree program.
I think XAMK Diploma in Tourism and Business Management could potentially fulfill that requirement.
[-] The following 4 users Like nomaduser's post:
  • gams007, Pikachu, rachel83az, samk

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Will online degrees become worthless because of AI? blablablox 12 788 04-20-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  ASU 100 Million Learners - All graduate courses now available jg_nuy 35 4,102 04-17-2024, 06:44 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Credit Banking & cheap/free credits - Asking for a friend SweetSecret 7 1,531 04-06-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: Rubeferry18
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 288 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Question How can I Study on my own pace and online like a european? justmemyself 6 422 03-25-2024, 09:14 PM
  Biochemistry online, no lab, and less than $500. GoodYellowDogs 11 10,414 03-20-2024, 04:16 PM
  The 100 Most Popular Accredited Online Colleges for 2024 LevelUP 2 347 03-20-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: nyvrem
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,800 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,804 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
Lightbulb ASU to Launch a Free Global Initiative and enroll 100 million students MNomadic 203 30,161 03-11-2024, 10:55 AM