Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
From High School to USAF Fighter Pilot
Anyone up for giving me a Step 1, 2 ... path to help my son's friend. Currently 10th grade (6 clep credits). Plans for dual Enrollment at Community College next year. His goal is is a 4-year (not sure in what?) then military pilot with ultimate dreams of fighter pilot.

Any help on direction is appreciated!
Cheri ~ Homeschooling to College facilitator
CreditsBeforeCollege.com
cframe Wrote:Anyone up for giving me a Step 1, 2 ... path to help my son's friend. Currently 10th grade (6 clep credits). Plans for dual Enrollment at Community College next year. His goal is is a 4-year (not sure in what?) then military pilot with ultimate dreams of fighter pilot.

I'll be watching this since I have a son interested in this route too. In the mean time, my son is doing Civil Air Patrol and won a scholarship to EAA air academy. Apparently, each chapter can sponsor 2 people per year, and I JUST found out earlier this year that our chapter's scholarship money has went unclaimed for several years! She might want to check into it. EAA Young Eagles - EAA Youth Programs
cframe Wrote:Anyone up for giving me a Step 1, 2 ... path to help my son's friend. Currently 10th grade (6 clep credits). Plans for dual Enrollment at Community College next year. His goal is is a 4-year (not sure in what?) then military pilot with ultimate dreams of fighter pilot.

I'm an Army guy so I can't help you much, but (being a prior recruiter) the first think I would do is go find out from the AF what the qualifications are to become a pilot. What kind of entrance exams, scores, medical physicals, etc. he will need to take prior to even enlisting. The last thing you need is to get him excited and find out something like color blindness, asthma, past surgeries or police record might disqualify him (not saying that he has these). Get all the pre-requisites out of the way.
I would also consider trying to get him applications to the AF military academy. If he goes there, he automatically comes out of there as an officer and will be one step closer to becoming a pilot. ( I believe being an officer is a requirement)
After this, I can't give much more input. An AF guy/gal will have to chime in.
Someone correct me if I posted something that is not accurate.
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Excelsior College - DONE[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]AAS-[SIZE="1"]2009[/SIZE], BSLS-[SIZE="1"]2010[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B][SIZE="2"]Thomas Edison State College - DONE[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]BA in History[/SIZE]-[SIZE="1"]2011[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE="2"]Texas A&M University Central Texas[/SIZE]
Master of Arts in History - 18/36 SH

CLEPs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Spanish, Freshman Comp, English Comp w/ Essay, Social Science & Hist, Info Sys & Comp App, Intro Sociology, Prin of Mngmt, American Gov , US History I, US History II, Western Civ I, Western Civ II[/SIZE][/SIZE]
DSSTs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Civil War & Reconstruction, Rise & Fall of Soviet Union, History of Vietnam War, Intro Modern Middle East, Western Europe Since 1945, Drug and Alcohol, Here's to Your Hlth, Intro To Comp, Prin of Sup, Technical Writing, Prin of Physical Science I[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote: There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. "Mr. Garrison"[/SIZE]
Listen to Clep101 he is right on the money. If he has good grades he can try for a slot at the AF academy and go through the screening process to be a pilot while he is there. If there is a JROTC program at his school he should get on board. He will learn some basics about the Military and it will look good on his academy app, ROTC app, or OTS app (whichever route he goes).

His guidance counselor should be able to get him started toward an appointment to the AF academy. It is highly competive so he needs to start now and be a straight arrow. Most kids that can't make it into the service these days seem to be DQed because of weight. Google AF weight standards and if he does not meet them he needs to get started on that sooner rather than later. It is very hard to take somone seriously when they talk about dreams of being a figher pilot when they are 50 lbs over weight and smoke a pack a day. I am not accusing your son of this but I have met quite a few folks like that in my time.

BA/Liberal Studies, TESC 2011
AAS/Applied Electronic Studies, TESC 2010

He is thin and doesn't smoke Smile I guess he has that going for him.

He is my son's friend and has had a rocky year and his grades are showing it. I don't think the Academy will be an option. So ... finish HS, join ROTC in college (needs a scholarship), then go in. Is that the route?
CreditsBeforeCollege.com
cframe Wrote:He is thin and doesn't smoke Smile I guess he has that going for him.

He is my son's friend and has had a rocky year and his grades are showing it. I don't think the Academy will be an option. So ... finish HS, join ROTC in college (needs a scholarship), then go in. Is that the route?

ROTC will help pay for college. I am not sure how much call the ROTC people at one of the colleges and ask. Don't overlook the navy! Naval aviation is excellent and the ROTC program may be a better deal than the air force. check into it!

BA/Liberal Studies, TESC 2011
AAS/Applied Electronic Studies, TESC 2010

blu2blu Wrote:Naval aviation is excellent and the ROTC program may be a better deal than the air force. check into it!

Never thought of that one -- thanks!
CreditsBeforeCollege.com
There are some very good resources on the web and probably a good place to start is Baseops.net Flight Planning and Aviation Weather Search thru the "what are my chances" forum, or the "what it takes" forum. He has has to get his act together academically and keep his nose clean. Further he needs to get some stick time, actual logged dual time. Preferably some solo. and a PPL.
as a member of the USAF

i will say this...

he better find out his body measurements to see if he is even qualified

i don't mean height weight

i mean hips to shoulder

butt to shoulder

feet to hips

etc.

the wrong percentage or proportion and he will not be a be a pilot.
DSST Environment & Race to Save Humanity *  51/80 Clep CIS  63/80
College Math  66/80 * DSST Business Law II  -  No Pass
Principles of Mgmt  61/80 * A/I Lit  51/80 retest 61/80
Social Sciences and History -  66/80  -  A * Freshman Composition  -  60/80
Intro to Computers  426 -Current System - p/f = pass * Intro to Modern Middle East Studies -  61/80
Human Cultural Geography  -  61/80 * US History I  - A   -61/80
US History II - A  68/80 * Civil War  -  A   57/80
Intro to World Religions  - A  68/80 * Intro to Bus Law -  64/80    A
Public Speaking 55/80  A * MIS 429/500 * Statistics 459/500 * MacroEconomics  57/80
MicroEconomics   53/80 (ran out no money in meter) * Criminal Justice 418/500
English Comp with Essay 58/80 * Personal Finance 406/500 (Ran thru IC once & test once... 40 minutes/98 questions.. close call) 
Principle of Supervision -  436/500 * Clep American Government 67/80  
FEMA's Completed - 49 (sorry i'm addicted to them).

BA - Criminal Justice - Central State University
AAS - Computer Science - TESU
AAS - BOG - Info Tech - Pierpont
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member
Hey, look what I found!

Prerequisites for Becoming an Air Force Pilot | eHow.com

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  opinion on military school for ADHD teen EducationSeeker 18 2,934 10-14-2022, 02:22 PM
Last Post: martamarti
Information US Naval Community College Pilot MNomadic 2 1,604 04-26-2022, 03:48 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Looking for a school that caps Mil TA at $250 per sem hr for an MBA??? barberakb 6 2,144 09-20-2016, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Yanji
  (New to Military) Does the AF pay for grad school if I enter OTS? horsewhiz 1 991 08-11-2015, 05:22 PM
Last Post: Prloko
  USAF and the ACT OfficerA 1 934 01-27-2015, 01:34 PM
Last Post: smf6824
  How to get a signed degree plan from TESC for MilTA? (USAF) OfficerA 6 1,970 08-11-2014, 08:32 AM
Last Post: bricabrac
  (USAF) Other than instructor duty and cross-training (I think), what's CCAF for? OfficerA 5 1,632 05-23-2014, 07:54 AM
Last Post: Prloko
  USAF OTS application - No GPA through TESC cframe 18 3,188 09-24-2013, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Mexirican007
  Using post 9/11 gi bill to complete prerequisites for dental school NcstateGrad 1 1,222 12-30-2012, 12:58 PM
Last Post: bldclot2
  GI Bill and Grad School SRT12 1 1,025 09-13-2012, 06:21 PM
Last Post: smokey2011