Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Full Sail University
Thoughts on Full Sail University as far as grad programs? I'll have earned my BS in Organizational Leadership from CSU Global and a Marketing Certificate from FHSU by the time I enroll in grad school. I'm looking for an online digital marketing master's. I'd love to be done in a year and that is possible at FSU. The tuition isn't ridiculous. The two potential drawbacks I'm seeing are that it's for-profit which some people snark at, but ALL universities and colleges are allowed to make a profit whether or not they have a tax exemption. Even non-profit universities and colleges are allowed to make a profit so that's not a huge deal to me. The issue I've come across is that they are only nationally accredited. They are licensed by the state of Florida, but they don't have a regional accreditation. Will this be an issue in work life? I am also toying with the idea of adjuncting at a local community college teaching marketing. I'm not 100% committed to it though. I mean I'd love to do it if I have the time once I have a job in marketing. I'm far more concerned about the challenges finding a job with a degree from a nationally accredited university.
I would definitely stay away from non regionally accredited colleges at the bachelor level and up - especially if they’re for profit.
BABA, New England College, 2019
This seems like a great price, name recognition and a MBA in Marketing is possible in as little as 10 months

https://online.lsus.edu/online/hyper/190...j0QAvD_BwE
DBA Student at South College starting in October 2022, Target finish date May 2024

Certificate for the Study of Capitalism at University of Arkansas finished July 2022

MBA with Hellenic American University started March 29th, 2021 , finished May 20th 2022, Graduated in June 2022

BSBA at Thomas Edison State University started May 21st 2020 with Sophia and SDC, finished Jan 24th, 2021, Graduated on 12 March of 2021

Total time to complete both degrees 2 years exactly, total cost just a small bit over $10,000

Thanks Degreeforum!
(07-03-2020, 01:06 PM)cerich67 Wrote: This seems like a great price, name recognition and a MBA in Marketing is possible in as little as 10 months

https://online.lsus.edu/online/hyper/190...j0QAvD_BwE

I don't want a MBA. Those are a dime a dozen. I want a MS in Digital Marketing.

(07-03-2020, 12:54 PM)harrypotter Wrote: I would definitely stay away from non regionally accredited colleges at the bachelor level and up - especially if they’re for profit.

Why? ALL colleges an universities make a profit. If they don't they go bankrupt and close which is what is happening to Wells College right now and they're non-profit. I live near Hobart and William Smith Colleges - non-profit, but makes a profit and has a huge endowment for a school that size.
Ok..I am sure a MBA from a well known RA in marketing will be worse that a MS in online digital marketing from a non accredited school with a web site that makes it sound like a total diploma mill.

PS I read it as online, digital marketing degree, sorry. That said any marketing degree now is mostly about online
DBA Student at South College starting in October 2022, Target finish date May 2024

Certificate for the Study of Capitalism at University of Arkansas finished July 2022

MBA with Hellenic American University started March 29th, 2021 , finished May 20th 2022, Graduated in June 2022

BSBA at Thomas Edison State University started May 21st 2020 with Sophia and SDC, finished Jan 24th, 2021, Graduated on 12 March of 2021

Total time to complete both degrees 2 years exactly, total cost just a small bit over $10,000

Thanks Degreeforum!
Full Sail actually has decent name recognition for some of their programs. I know for the Design/Art degrees especially. I think they do a lot of music related degrees that are respected in the industry, as well.

I have no idea how people view their MS Digital Marketing degree, though. With any school some of their programs are going to be highly regarded, and some aren't. You have to do some digging to see what people are saying. The NA vs RA debate might not even be an issue if enough companies have a positive opinion of that degree.

It's like the unaccredited business school near me. They don't have RA accreditation, but they have proven over time to produce quality graduates and have a solid program. In my community, you can get hired with that degree even though it's not RA. You would probably have less luck outside of my community with the same degree.

From what I've seen, it's the same way with Full Sail and certain industries/companies. They don't care that Full Sail is NA because they like their programs and the quality of their graduates. You just have to make sure that applies to the companies/industries you are pursuing with that particular degree.
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - BGS

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tedium's post:
  • ss20ts
I’ve seen multiple online MS degrees in digital marketing from non-profit regionally accredited colleges with minimal admission requirements. Not sure why you’d consider a for profit NA school that is more expensive than most of them...
BABA, New England College, 2019
(07-03-2020, 01:47 PM)harrypotter Wrote: I’ve seen multiple online MS degrees in digital marketing from non-profit regionally accredited colleges with minimal admission requirements. Not sure why you’d consider a for profit NA school that is more expensive than most of them...

WVU is regionally accredited and it's $24,600 for the master's in Digital Marketing Communication. The Digital Marketing Master's from FSU is $22,000 and is more credits. So how is that so awful? They're not completely the same degree. The RA university costs thousands more. 

I am also looking for schools that don't require the GMAT or GRE. WVU requires the GRE. FHSU requires the GMAT. FHSU is a MBA with a Digital Marketing concentration which isn't what I'm looking for. I am specifically looking for a MS in Digital Marketing that I can complete 100% online within a year and not need to take a GRE or GMAT.

(07-03-2020, 01:38 PM)Tedium Wrote: Full Sail actually has decent name recognition for some of their programs. I know for the Design/Art degrees especially. I think they do a lot of music related degrees that are respected in the industry, as well.

I have no idea how people view their MS Digital Marketing degree, though. With any school some of their programs are going to be highly regarded, and some aren't. You have to do some digging to see what people are saying. The NA vs RA debate might not even be an issue if enough companies have a positive opinion of that degree.

It's like the unaccredited business school near me. They don't have RA accreditation, but they have proven over time to produce quality graduates and have a solid program. In my community, you can get hired with that degree even though it's not RA. You would probably have less luck outside of my community with the same degree.

From what I've seen, it's the same way with Full Sail and certain industries/companies. They don't care that Full Sail is NA because they like their programs and the quality of their graduates. You just have to make sure that applies to the companies/industries you are pursuing with that particular degree.

Thank you! They seem to be well known in the entertainment industry and no one bats an eye that they're NA.

(07-03-2020, 01:26 PM)cerich67 Wrote: Ok..I am sure a MBA from a well known RA in marketing will be worse that a MS in online digital marketing from a non accredited school with a web site that makes it sound like a total diploma mill.

PS I read it as online, digital marketing degree, sorry. That said any marketing degree now is mostly about online

FSU is NOT a diploma mill.  Rolleyes 

MBA with a marketing concentration isn't what I'm after. That's easy to find. The MS in Digital Marketing isn't nearly as easy. Marketing and digital marketing are two different things.
East Tennessee State has one and is RA and AACSB: https://www.etsu.edu/online/graduate-deg...keting.php 27k.

Illinois U-C (RA, whether this program is covered by the AACSB is not clear) has an MS in Strategic Brand Communication for 28k. https://sbc.illinois.edu/?utm_source=Ill...ing%20Page

Neither of these requires the GMAT or GRE, though both will consider scores.

I can't seem to get Full Sail's website to actually spit out a price. But if you want to adjunct at an RA community college, an NA masters could be a hard, insurmountable wall.
(07-03-2020, 12:27 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Thoughts on Full Sail University as far as grad programs? I'll have earned my BS in Organizational Leadership from CSU Global and a Marketing Certificate from FHSU by the time I enroll in grad school. I'm looking for an online digital marketing master's. I'd love to be done in a year and that is possible at FSU. The tuition isn't ridiculous. The two potential drawbacks I'm seeing are that it's for-profit which some people snark at, but ALL universities and colleges are allowed to make a profit whether or not they have a tax exemption. Even non-profit universities and colleges are allowed to make a profit so that's not a huge deal to me. The issue I've come across is that they are only nationally accredited. They are licensed by the state of Florida, but they don't have a regional accreditation. Will this be an issue in work life? I am also toying with the idea of adjuncting at a local community college teaching marketing. I'm not 100% committed to it though. I mean I'd love to do it if I have the time once I have a job in marketing. I'm far more concerned about the challenges finding a job with a degree from a nationally accredited university.

Full Sail is kind of a niche art school that is more occupational focused. If you are looking for a degree to teach (as an adjunct) then an NA master's degree probably will not qualify as a suitable teaching credential at most RA colleges, though that depends on the school since they may only require an RA bachelor's to teach. This appears to be the minimum requirement for some smaller private for-profit schools. However, if you're interested in attending Full Sail to gain knowledge that can be used on the job, and your employer doesn't care what kind of degree you have, then this is a fine option.

As was mentioned above, Full Sail is well-known in certain communities, particularly the art/design community and the computer games community. Most of their teaching staff (at least in the game dev programs) are well-known experts in their industry and they teach real-world skills. So if you want to learn, it isn't a bad place. That said, I don't think I'd consider them for digital marketing, but it would depend on the curriculum, the teachers, and whether you want the degree for skill advancement or for the credential. In the latter case, I'd try to find an RA school.

I personally feel that they are overpriced for a technical school without RA accreditation, even if their programs are good.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • ss20ts

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apollos University - from show clause to closure details bjcheung77 4 253 Yesterday, 12:40 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  MBA Student @ Eastern University – AMA klone 15 1,082 03-27-2024, 09:18 AM
Last Post: PaperAssistant
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 3 283 03-23-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: Wnt2BLPC
  Robert Cavelier University Journey armstrongsubero 26 1,461 03-19-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: eLearner
  Troy University Master's - $250/credit for military PreLawCoastie 11 550 03-11-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 31 6,850 03-08-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: HogwartsSchool
  Hellenic American University MBA: Overview of $3K RA MBA PrettyFlyforaChiGuy 90 13,981 03-06-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: lidel
  Eastern Illinois University. wildebeest 42 6,364 03-04-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  University of Illinois - Urbana Champaign MichaelDoesMarketing 35 3,318 03-03-2024, 04:25 PM
Last Post: rayray1000
  MBA from Hellenic American University (HAU) allvia 111 16,303 03-03-2024, 12:58 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy