Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GPA TESU
I have a few F grades from years ago at TESU. If I retake the same course at study.com or something similar will they replace the letter grade with a pass/fail type? If not, could I simply transfer to another Big 3 school and start over with a new GPA? I'm shooting for a BALS and was hoping to get the ASNSM in Comp Science along the way since I've completed several comp sci courses already but I do need a decent GPA. 

As I'm typing this I realized that some community college credits transferred over along with the grade. I thought these wouldn't factor into the GPA at TESU? I'm confused because I have my TESU GPA then I have an overall GPA. Which one counts?
How many courses have you taken with TESU? Can you email them for Academic Forgiveness, I forget if they do or don't offer this option...? If these are F grades, you can retake them and the grades will be upgraded/updated with the newest score, it's the only way to get a better internal GPA. You need a 2.0 for undergrad and a 3.0 for graduate studies to graduate with a degree.

Overall GPA is the external GPA from all sources you've taken them, example - college/university, not the CLEP/ACE/NCCRS. This GPA is only for their record to see what your overall GPA is, it is not going to affect anything at TESU. For those who have a ZF grade, that stays with the academic evaluation forever... <gasp> and the ZF grade means failure due to violation (academic violation, ex, cheating).
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(04-26-2020, 03:42 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: How many courses have you taken with TESU?  Can you email them for Academic Forgiveness, I forget if they do or don't offer this option...?  If these are F grades, you can retake them and the grades will be upgraded/updated with the newest score, it's the only way to get a better internal GPA.  You need a 2.0 for undergrad and a 3.0 for graduate studies to graduate with a degree.

Overall GPA is the external GPA from all sources you've taken them, example - college/university, not the CLEP/ACE/NCCRS.  This GPA is only for their record to see what your overall GPA is, it is not going to affect anything at TESU.  For those who have a ZF grade, that stays with the academic evaluation forever... <gasp> and the ZF grade means failure due to violation (academic violation, ex, cheating).

Ive taken 8 courses at TESU, 4 with good grades and 4 with F's. They cannot grant me any sort of forgiveness..I asked. My TESU GPA is 1.233 ugh. Thank you for explaining the two GPAs.
The overall GPA is what they use to decide whether or not to let you come and take courses there. If you had a 1.5 GPA for example, they probably wouldn't want you as a student, as they assume you aren't going to be successful - and they want success. They want people to come in and graduate, to bring their overall metrics up. They look at your GPA, but it's not "transferred" over to them.

The GPA at TESU is just that - only courses you've taken there. Almost all schools do this - no matter where you bring courses from as transfer, they calculate a GPA for their own school only. So if you go to 5 schools like I have, you'll have 5 different GPA's. One nice thing with that is that I can show an overall upward trend in my GPA's, in case I ever wanted to go to Grad school or try to get into a competitive program somewhere. Yeah, that sucky 1.98 that I got when I was 18 looks bad - but the 3.36 I have at my next school over a few years in my early 20's is good, and the 3.53 that I got my certificate in, with all UL courses in my late 20's looks better. Then a 4.0. Then a 3.75. So my overall GPA of 3.06 is decent, but if they look more closely, my trend is very good, and you can see that I'm much more likely to be successful in my next endeavor.

The only way to get your GPA up is to take more graded courses from the same school, which is probably expensive at TESU. It would take 3 A's to offset 1 F to get a 3.0 (assuming they were all 3cr courses); and 7 A's to get a 3.5 GPA. Bringing in new courses like ACE credit doesn't affect your GPA, so they won't help. They'll just show that you completed the course.

My vote is going to be to switch schools so that you end up with a good GPA at that finishing school. Just my opinion, but I'd want to show an overall upward trend, and a 3.5 or higher at the last school you go to. That way, you can show that the F's at TESU were from a single point in time, and that it no longer represents who you are.

Looking at your overall GPA - I computed that with a 1.233 GPA, you'd need 14 A's to get your GPA up to a 3.0. That's a very expensive proposition at TESU.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Note that TESU does require a 2.0 GPA or higher to graduate.
(04-26-2020, 05:44 PM)natshar Wrote: Note that TESU does require a 2.0 GPA or higher to graduate.

Ah yes, I forgot about that part.  So you'd need 3 courses with A's to get a 2.0 at TESU.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(04-26-2020, 05:47 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(04-26-2020, 05:44 PM)natshar Wrote: Note that TESU does require a 2.0 GPA or higher to graduate.

Ah yes, I forgot about that part.  So you'd need 3 courses with A's to get a 2.0 at TESU.

You'd know better than I, but would taking the same courses that have an F at another RA source and then transferring them back into TESU have any positive impact?

For example: NMJC.
theveganmaker Wrote:Ive taken 8 courses at TESU, 4 with good grades and 4 with F's. They cannot grant me any sort of forgiveness..I asked. My TESU GPA is 1.233 ugh. Thank you for explaining the two GPAs.

The only way to bump up the internal GPA at TESU is to take the courses over again, if you take other courses at TESU other than these 4, it will bump up your GPA, but VERY costly and expensive as it'll take a lot more courses and lot longer to bump the GPA up. These again are internal gpa, you should take the 4 courses over again and try to get a better grade, it'll overwrite the previous courses and you will not have any F's in your grade, therefore bumping that GPA much much higher.

terryd5150 Wrote:You'd know better than I, but would taking the same courses that have an F at another RA source and then transferring them back into TESU have any positive impact?

For example: NMJC.

Yes, External GPA would be better and higher if the courses are taken at NMJC or anywhere else and transferred in, it won't really have any affect on how TESU looks at you... and No, Internal GPA won't be modified at TESU as those are not TESU courses. The only reason you would want to do this is if you're looking at getting into TESU's Masters programs or something, as it's practically useless trying to get a better external GPA to get into TESU - they do not have competitive or selective admissions.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Honestly, you are better off going to another school.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 452 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 7 426 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PLEX
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 442 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 15 2,266 04-04-2024, 08:08 AM
Last Post: Kones
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 246 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,181 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 226 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 355 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 295 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 271 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27