Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good Thoughts, etc.
Gang,

I try to keep my private life mostly that, but I'm worried enough that I'll take any help I can get. I just found out last night that my youngest brother (15) is going in for surgery today -- he broke his leg pretty badly this weekend and my dad (64) is going in for angioplasty tomorrow. Obviously, I'm more worried about my dad - a 90% arterial blockage is no small thing, but I'm scared for both boys.

Any good thoughts or other forms of magical thinking you can spare are appreciated. My parents moved far away, so I can't spend the day with my mom, supporting her, like I'd like to. Good thoughts and distant support are about all I can offer at this point.

Thanks and thanks for reading.
BS Literature in English cum laude, Excelsior College
currently pursuing K-8 MAT, University of Alaska Southeast (42/51).

IC works! Credits by exam to date: 63

CLEP: A&I Lit (72), Am Gov (69), Biology (58), Intro to Ed Psych (73), Intro Psych (77), Intro Soc (72), US History I (69)
DSST: Astronomy (65), Civil War (63), Intro Computing (463), Environment & Humanity (70), Foundations of Ed (68), USSR (54)
GRE: Literature in English (60th percentile / 18 cr)

On Deck: classroom research & instructional design
You are all in my prayers, cinderly. Hang in there.
Kate
BS Psychology
cinderly Wrote:Gang,

I try to keep my private life mostly that, but I'm worried enough that I'll take any help I can get. I just found out last night that my youngest brother (15) is going in for surgery today -- he broke his leg pretty badly this weekend and my dad (64) is going in for angioplasty tomorrow. Obviously, I'm more worried about my dad - a 90% arterial blockage is no small thing, but I'm scared for both boys.

Any good thoughts or other forms of magical thinking you can spare are appreciated. My parents moved far away, so I can't spend the day with my mom, supporting her, like I'd like to. Good thoughts and distant support are about all I can offer at this point.

Thanks and thanks for reading.

My grandfather has had the same operation done and he has been fine for almost 10 years. I think he had to get it re-done at one point but he was still healthy. I think he is almost 90 now. Hope that helps. Smile
Houston, Texas
B.S. - Liberal Arts, Excelsior College
The strides they have made in the last 10 years, with your fathers type of surgery are simply amazing. It has truly become a routine procedure. Best wishes for you and your family!
Sending good thoughts your way.
Excelsior - BS Business 2008
Son #1 TESC BSBA Computer Information Systems completed June 2010
Son #2 TESC BA Computer Science completed November 2010 Currently in Florida State (FSU) Masters CS program and loving it
Sending you good thoughts and prayers for everyones healthy recovery.
Judy -
AS - Computer Science - Andover college
BS - Mgmt Information Systems -June 08
MS - Info Systems Mgmt - Start Aug 08 - UMBC
Thank you all for your good thoughts, prayers, and other energies. Here's the latest, if any of you were curious:

My brother's surgery went extremely well - he required minimal anesthesia and is recovering at home (and is more concerned about missed school work and beating video games than his injury.) He's also looking forward to setting off any ultra-sensitive metal detectors with the titanium screws now residing in his lower leg and ankle. (Rare, but possible.)

Dad is staying at the hospital overnight for observation - the artery was collapsed, but the surgery was successful and a stent is in place. We're not entirely out of the woods, but it looks like everything will be fine, going forward.

Again, thank you for your thoughts, prayers, and words of comfort.
BS Literature in English cum laude, Excelsior College
currently pursuing K-8 MAT, University of Alaska Southeast (42/51).

IC works! Credits by exam to date: 63

CLEP: A&I Lit (72), Am Gov (69), Biology (58), Intro to Ed Psych (73), Intro Psych (77), Intro Soc (72), US History I (69)
DSST: Astronomy (65), Civil War (63), Intro Computing (463), Environment & Humanity (70), Foundations of Ed (68), USSR (54)
GRE: Literature in English (60th percentile / 18 cr)

On Deck: classroom research & instructional design
Sending good thoughts and well wishes your family's way that all recoveries are successful
Dawn
Taking the Road Less Traveled
The Journey of A Thousand Miles Starts with The First CLEP

BS-Psychology - Excelsior College
Enrolled in the School of Business, BS in Accounting
After MIS I'll be halfway there!
72 CLEP Credits, 21 DSST Credits, 25 ECE Credits (Including Inf Lit), 6 TESC Credits, 2 FEMA Credits = 126 Total
Withholding 6 Credits for Accounting = 120 for Psychology
12 credits completed toward my accounting degree
cinderly Wrote:He's also looking forward to setting off any ultra-sensitive metal detectors with the titanium screws now residing in his lower leg and ankle. (Rare, but possible)...

LOL You're right. It is rare but possible. Tell him his best bet (as far as I know) is to visit D.C. during a time of national crisis or fly on El-Al. Those are the only places so far that my titanium elbow has set off a detector.

So glad to hear that they are both progressing well. Smile
Kate
BS Psychology
cinderly Wrote:Thank you all for your good thoughts, prayers, and other energies.

Cinderly,

I'm glad to hear that the surgeries went well and that both 'boys' are making good progress towards recovery.

I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

Be Well,
Snazzlefrag
My name is Rob

Total Credits: 142 (12 not used).
[SIZE=1]GPA: 4.0
[/SIZE]
[SIZE="5"][COLOR="Blue"]
There's magic in faith.

There's hope from prayer.
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Happy Mother's Day! Life is Good! Vanity Update Charles Fout 4 696 10-14-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Living the Good Life on $24,000 a Year? Retire in Your 20’s or 30’s? LevelUP 34 5,855 03-26-2022, 12:28 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  What is Good Advice for Future Expats? Kal Di 3 704 03-13-2022, 07:46 PM
Last Post: Messdiener
  Windows 11 Home Upgrade - Pretty Good bjcheung77 3 882 03-06-2022, 06:05 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Shocker - Common Core not giving good outcomes dfrecore 16 2,781 04-24-2020, 02:18 AM
Last Post: PrettyFlyforaChiGuy
  where's a good place to relocate if you're in tech ? nyvrem 9 2,091 03-03-2019, 09:23 AM
Last Post: alab21
  Thoughts on Unions? MNomadic 2 1,015 10-04-2018, 04:40 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Seemed like a good deal, Name Brand assoc. School low tuition Unv. of Ark. but not frank.f.franky 9 2,958 06-17-2018, 03:39 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Thoughts? Regards 4 1,086 05-31-2018, 05:27 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  I sure hope TESU advising is having a good break, because they are going to freak... eriehiker 15 3,594 01-11-2018, 08:47 PM
Last Post: jamshid666