Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts on Unions?
The free college for union members benefit was mentioned on this forum and the other day I spoke at length with a gentleman who had lots of positive things to say about the IBEW(International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers). It seems like a good opportunity that I should be qualified for. The pay is supposed to be good and the benefits great. Arguably, I could probably find a little bit higher paying work on my own if I really wanted to search but having a solid pay, benefits and pension package virtually guaranteed to me for life without having to negotiate, compete and search on my own is certainly appealing. The only downside(for me) is if the work is physically demanding since I have several physical injuries/disabilities from the service. I enjoy hard labor but it tears up my already damaged body.
    -side note: my injuries are the reason I didn't jump on several good opportunities after separating and decided to finish my degree first and hopefully pursue a more intellectual vs physical career-
So just curious if anyone has any thoughts or experience with electrician unions or unions in general?
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
Unions are, or at least should be, a reflection of the workers at a particular workplace.  Unions are democratic organizations and the leadership is as good as the talent present in a particular unit and the contracts are only as good as the ability of workers in a particular bargaining unit or union to negotiate.  I have been president of my local through two contracts and I have held an elected leadership role for about 19 years.  I don't think that you should view the position as having a "guaranteed" anything.  That guaranteed job will only be a good job if the union is capable of negotiating good work rules and pay during the next contract.  That takes lots of work to accomplish on the part of the negotiating team.  That said, I know that my profession would not be anywhere near as good as it is without hardworking teachers who have been willing to learn about contracts and spend the time negotiating them.  So, if you are in a right-to-work state, I would encourage you to join the union and pay the dues.  No matter where you are, I would encourage you to get involved with the union because it is only as good/bad and as liberal/conservative as the members who are willing to become involved and shape its direction.
"I don't think that you should view the position as having a "guaranteed" anything."

Good point. I actually don't believe in absolutes or truly guaranteed work, but figured unions bargaining and negotiating for my employment/pay/benefits is a stronger "guarantee" than my own individual bargaining power.

Good point about becoming involved too. I certainly plan to play an active role. In the last year year or so I've certainly become more involved with local/national politics by contacting representatives, voting and attending rallies and would extend that activism to union causes that would benefit myself and my fellows.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thoughts? Regards 4 1,080 05-31-2018, 05:27 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Thoughts, Suggestions, Ideas? LaterBloomer 4 1,341 06-03-2015, 10:23 AM
Last Post: alleycat
  Changes in our Society...good or bad? Thoughts for discussion. marianne202 8 1,193 05-28-2012, 12:39 PM
Last Post: Lyanne
  Prayer Request, Good Thoughts, Positive Vibes Requested! marianne202 27 4,763 07-18-2010, 04:14 PM
Last Post: marianne202
  Any thoughts on the Mass Election? Basket Weaver 12 2,207 01-25-2010, 08:56 PM
Last Post: Basket Weaver
  your thoughts on MJ.. his life.. his career creationstory 12 2,313 06-27-2009, 05:00 PM
Last Post: LatinTea
  Good Thoughts, etc. cinderly 10 2,642 12-02-2007, 12:38 AM
Last Post: cinderly