Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grad School - GRE question
Well, I have been offered a job! It is a little step backwards for me financially, but a leap forward as to future opportunity and tremendous opportunity to achieve a 6 figure salary in a few short years.

I have been accepted to CalCoast MBA HRM program and they even assigned me two challenge exams without asking for them.

However, my new manager has indicated that he plans to develop me, and would much prefer that I take a very respected grad program (they have tuition reimbursement) locally. The problem is that the school requires the GRE. (math again.....) (I also lose the $75 application fee to CC as well as my one free transcript that ECE gives when you graduate)

Has anyone taken the General GRE and if so, was there any particular study book that they used? I have looked at user comments on Amazon and am looking at the Cracking the GRE and the Barrons study guide with CD.
Congratulations!

I've heard the Idiot's Guide is helpful as far as presenting the material in an easy and entertaining to read fashion.
[SIZE="6"]Pattie[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]CLEP:
[SIZE="1"]English Comp 101 & 102 - Analysis & Interpretation of Literature 130 & 131 - Intro to Marketing[/SIZE]
TECEP:
[SIZE="1"]Marketing Comm - PR Thought & Practice - Intro to News Reporting - Sales Management - Operations Management - Marketing Research - Business in Society[/SIZE]
DSST:
[SIZE="1"]Intro to Computers[/SIZE]
FEMA:
[SIZE="1"]12 FREE Credits![/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
Associate of Science in Management, TESC - 9/17/04
Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, TESC - 6/6/08

Smile
There is a new GRE format that started November 2007 so be sure you get new prep material. You get a prep cd when you register for the test as well. You can take a practice exam through some colleges as well and then you get emails like these. I am not recommending kaplan as I haven't taken the gre or prepped for it so I don't know. My daughter used a kaplan and barrons book and the cd I believe. I included the below emails for the info on the new exam

GRE Test Change Update
There has been a lot of recent discussion surrounding changes to the GRE.* While the first roll-out of the new GRE featured fewer changes than ETS originally promised, it nevertheless indicates that that the GRE will continue to become more challenging for many students.

Read on to learn exactly what's changed so far, and why it's so important to take the GRE sooner rather than later.

What's changed so far?

New Question Types. In November 2007, ETS introduced two new question types: Numeric Entry and Text Completion. Test takers will currently see one or the other of these new question types on Test Day—or may see neither. They continue to remain un-scored, but ETS has stated that they will begin to score the questions as soon as they have sufficient data. In the meantime, both Kaplan and ETS strongly recommend that test takers treat these questions as if they were scored.

New Formatting. In January 2008, ETS implemented a minor formatting change to Reading Comprehension passages. The passages accompanying these questions previously contained line numbers that referenced specific parts of the passages. Those line numbers were replaced with highlighting (when necessary) in order to focus the test taker on specific information in the passage.
When should you take the GRE?
ETS has stated that more changes are planned for the GRE in the coming year. Given that the test is not going to get any easier, we recommend that you take the test now—before ETS rolls out any further changes. Not 100% sure yet that you even want to go to grad school? No problem! Your score is good for five years. Take it now, and you won't have to worry about it later. Kaplan's GRE programs will give you the complete prep you need for any version of the test, but we advise you to prep now if you have the time.

What is Kaplan doing to prepare students for the changes?
Kaplan's GRE preparation programs continue to provide the most realistic practice for the GRE, and our courses and strategies prepare you for anything you'll see on Test Day, including the new question types and formatting changes. We have also launched a re-vamped GRE curriculum in March—as we do every year—that reflects these changes, and features new advanced material for students aiming for the highest scores.

ETS is actively working to make more thorough changes to the GRE. Depend on Kaplan to keep you up-to-date on all GRE changes and their impact on your grad school timelines. Visit our GRE Test Change site to learn more, or view the full GRE/ETS press release—plus sample questions—here.

You can score higher on the GRE. We can show you how.
The best way to begin your GRE prep is to become familiar with the question types and format of the GRE. Investing time and effort in preparing for the test today can help you get into the grad program of your choice plus greatly increase your chances of earning merit-based financial aid. Kaplan's comprehensive GRE course options provide complete prep, including:

The most realistic practice with 6 online computer-adaptive tests and over 100 online workshops and quizzes.
Smart Reports™—Detailed online analysis and cumulative feedback on practice tests.
Expert, top-scoring instructors who teach Kaplan's exclusive test-taking strategies.
Quality study materials, including a comprehensive home study kit and a personalized study plan.
Proven results—we guarantee you'll score higher on the GRE or your money back.†
Find a class starting near you!

Need advice on your grad school timeline?
Get guidance on your timeline for the GRE and the grad school admissions process. Call a Kaplan Educational Advisor at 1-800-KAP-TEST today!

Sincerely,

Susan Kaplan
Director, Graduate Programs

It's time to start thinking about fall deadlines!
Updates to the GRE
There have been a number of small changes made to the GRE in recent months. The most significant change was the introduction of two new question types to the GRE in November 2007: Numeric Entry and Text Completion. And in January of 2008, ETS implemented a minor formatting change to the Reading Comprehension passages.
What do these changes mean for students?
The trends and minor changes are indicators that ETS is actively working to make more thorough changes to the GRE. These changes will make the GRE more challenging for many students. We recommend that students register for their test dates now and take the GRE before ETS begins scoring the new question types, and before they introduce additional question types and format changes.
Depend on Kaplan to keep you up-to-date on all GRE changes and their impact on your grad school timelines. Visit our GRE Test Change site to learn more!
Judy -
AS - Computer Science - Andover college
BS - Mgmt Information Systems -June 08
MS - Info Systems Mgmt - Start Aug 08 - UMBC
Hey Barbara--I'm in no position to make any recommendations on the GRE, but congrats on the job offer!
--
Steve
Webmaster, InstantCert.com
cinderly Wrote:Congratulations, Barbara!

I don't know much about the GRE general but I imagine it to be like SAT for Grownups. Good luck on the test, too.

Have you had a chance to discuss with your new boss why he prefers the local program to the one you've selected? (I'd have the conversation with him - his objections may be based on assumptions instead of fact; if you can show him evidence that your chosen program is more rigorous, less likely to interfere with work deadlines, more customizable, or some other benefit, he may soften his stance.)

It sounds like a fantastic opportunity - sometimes we have to go backward to go forward. From what little you've posted, it sounds like an environment where you'll thrive.

He felt that a distance program only equips me with "book learning" but does not help with some "real life" issues. The grad program is a highly respected program in the Cincinnati metro area and is concentrated in employee and labor relations, which is the area that they wish to develop me in.

Now, I have been told that I am a finalist for another position in another state. The local job is 2/3 the salary, but offers tremendous professional growth and a higher future earnings. And, I will have to relocate which means selling a house in our current market. (will lose all equity and take a beating). The initial difference in salary is $2500 per month and it is a very good job, with great people. But moving 7 people is challenging. Oh the dilemna.

THANKS for everyones great wishes. At least I have options!
barbara2bba Wrote:He felt that a distance program only equips me with "book learning" but does not help with some "real life" issues. The grad program is a highly respected program in the Cincinnati metro area and is concentrated in employee and labor relations, which is the area that they wish to develop me in.

Now, I have been told that I am a finalist for another position in another state. The local job is 2/3 the salary, but offers tremendous professional growth and a higher future earnings. And, I will have to relocate which means selling a house in our current market. (will lose all equity and take a beating). The initial difference in salary is $2500 per month and it is a very good job, with great people. But moving 7 people is challenging. Oh the dilemna.

THANKS for everyones great wishes. At least I have options!
>>

Congrats on your dilemma. It's a good one to be pondering Big Grin
I have no advice on the GRE. I only have a tiny bit of experience to share on the employer part. My husband's company is paying $18,000 of the $24,000 for his degree. (the rest is covered through a pell grant) They didn't choose the college, but they had veto power over his choices. That said, at any point in time, if my husband is fired- we owe back the money. If he quits- we owe back the money. He can't exceed 6 credits in a semester, and he must pass every class with a C or higher. He will have to work a full 24 months in his current position AFTER earning his degree before he can cut the strings and own his degree free and clear. In our case, he likes his job, we like where we live, and are happy to have the AMAZING benefit of their contribution. (without it, this would have been fully financed by loans). Now, should any of those situations happen, we could easily (but grudgingly) come up with the money. That wouldn't have been the case 10 years ago. So, I feel like we have a safety net, and so we are accepting the risk as appropriate for the reward.

My two cents would be to consider the worst case scenarios, and protect yourself. What if your boss gets promoted? What if your company relocates you? Will your credits transfer? What if you get fired? What if your husband gets relocated? What if your promise of long term earnings never happens? Is anything in writing? What if you don't pass one of your classes? What if you get pregnant and leave your studies for a year? What if you don't like the program and want to transfer? What if your company cuts the budget that is funding this local college? What is stopping your company from changing the rules on a whim? What if what if what if?

It really all comes down to how much control you are willing to give them, and where your comfort zone is with letting someone else decide this part of your future for you. I am probably a bit more conservative in this area, but I couldn't help myself from throwing in a bit of paranoid skepticism.
cookderosa Wrote:>>

Congrats on your dilemma. It's a good one to be pondering Big Grin
I have no advice on the GRE. I only have a tiny bit of experience to share on the employer part. My husband's company is paying $18,000 of the $24,000 for his degree. (the rest is covered through a pell grant) They didn't choose the college, but they had veto power over his choices. That said, at any point in time, if my husband is fired- we owe back the money. If he quits- we owe back the money. He can't exceed 6 credits in a semester, and he must pass every class with a C or higher. He will have to work a full 24 months in his current position AFTER earning his degree before he can cut the strings and own his degree free and clear. In our case, he likes his job, we like where we live, and are happy to have the AMAZING benefit of their contribution. (without it, this would have been fully financed by loans). Now, should any of those situations happen, we could easily (but grudgingly) come up with the money. That wouldn't have been the case 10 years ago. So, I feel like we have a safety net, and so we are accepting the risk as appropriate for the reward.

My two cents would be to consider the worst case scenarios, and protect yourself. What if your boss gets promoted? What if your company relocates you? Will your credits transfer? What if you get fired? What if your husband gets relocated? What if your promise of long term earnings never happens? Is anything in writing? What if you don't pass one of your classes? What if you get pregnant and leave your studies for a year? What if you don't like the program and want to transfer? What if your company cuts the budget that is funding this local college? What is stopping your company from changing the rules on a whim? What if what if what if?

It really all comes down to how much control you are willing to give them, and where your comfort zone is with letting someone else decide this part of your future for you. I am probably a bit more conservative in this area, but I couldn't help myself from throwing in a bit of paranoid skepticism.

I have been a recruiter for the last 23 years. I have always wanted (really really wanted) to get into a hospital HR position, but without a bachelors, it was not possible. Thanks to IC and Excelsior, I now meet the requirements! The other position keeps me strictly in recruiting, whereas this position trains me in HR.

The development piece in employee relations will not be contingent on the HR director because the other HR recruiter has been doing this. The hospital is a local system, so no possibilty of transfer or relocation.

I am the one that has determined the promise of future earnings, (not their promise) as the experience puts me into a path of moving into an HR manager and then director level position. (still highly recruited even in the current economic state of the country). I already have management experience, so it it a realistic consideration. The difference is if I remain in recruitment, I can't transfer those skills to anything else. The only promise that the new employer made was that as they add more responsibility, my salary will increase. (adding the employee relations and physician recruitment piece)

The new boss is not requiring a grad program, and the hospital system offers tuition reimbursement with no requirements on time to complete. I can take the amount of classes per year that they will reimburse for until I am done. I realize that he has been strong in his opinion, but in the worst case scenario, I could just transfer the credits to the program I can afford if something happens. In this area, it will actually be of great benefit to complete this grad program over the other one. I only chose the other one because I couldn't afford any other. One of my prior HR Directors agreed with this one that I will be able to do much more with this grad program. Without prompting, he also stated that I am well on my way to a strong financial future.

I have never been fired and hope to never be fired! Even if the economy turns worse, I have a very good chance of continuing employment since this position is integral to the operations of the organization. (nurse recruitment as a big part of my work and the only one doing professional, allied and nurse recruitment.)

Totally appreciate your skeptism. Thanks for looking out for me, Jen. Smile
barbara2bba Wrote:I have been a recruiter for the last 23 years. I have always wanted (really really wanted) to get into a hospital HR position, but without a bachelors, it was not possible. Thanks to IC and Excelsior, I now meet the requirements! The other position keeps me strictly in recruiting, whereas this position trains me in HR.

The development piece in employee relations will not be contingent on the HR director because the other HR recruiter has been doing this. The hospital is a local system, so no possibilty of transfer or relocation.

I am the one that has determined the promise of future earnings, (not their promise) as the experience puts me into a path of moving into an HR manager and then director level position. (still highly recruited even in the current economic state of the country). I already have management experience, so it it a realistic consideration. The difference is if I remain in recruitment, I can't transfer those skills to anything else. The only promise that the new employer made was that as they add more responsibility, my salary will increase. (adding the employee relations and physician recruitment piece)

The new boss is not requiring a grad program, and the hospital system offers tuition reimbursement with no requirements on time to complete. I can take the amount of classes per year that they will reimburse for until I am done. I realize that he has been strong in his opinion, but in the worst case scenario, I could just transfer the credits to the program I can afford if something happens. In this area, it will actually be of great benefit to complete this grad program over the other one. I only chose the other one because I couldn't afford any other. One of my prior HR Directors agreed with this one that I will be able to do much more with this grad program. Without prompting, he also stated that I am well on my way to a strong financial future.

I have never been fired and hope to never be fired! Even if the economy turns worse, I have a very good chance of continuing employment since this position is integral to the operations of the organization. (nurse recruitment as a big part of my work and the only one doing professional, allied and nurse recruitment.)

Totally appreciate your skeptism. Thanks for looking out for me, Jen. Smile
>>

It sounds like you have already worked out a lot of the "what ifs!" I know in my area health care is huge huge huge. I can't imagine your career going anywhere but UP! Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fun Viral TikTok Question Riddles LevelUP 16 333 04-09-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Nicaragua seizes all assets from INCAE Business School elcastor21 0 306 09-26-2023, 04:55 PM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Found: $1,500 (TOTAL) At-own-pace Law School dcan 48 9,329 08-28-2023, 10:34 PM
Last Post: resistk
Question Poll: Just not sure what to major in for grad school and which direction to go! Randyb100 21 1,596 05-26-2023, 03:26 AM
Last Post: Randyb100
  To defend or not to defend, that is the question! bjcheung77 4 633 02-21-2023, 01:57 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Can I get a High School Diploma after getting my GED and Associates? IReallyNeedADegree 24 2,782 02-06-2023, 07:13 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  College grad paralyzed after chiropractor visit bjcheung77 5 893 07-16-2022, 05:14 AM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Resume Question ROYISAGIRL 11 1,130 07-12-2022, 08:38 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Another job application question carebear_007 4 665 04-11-2022, 02:41 PM
Last Post: davewill
  School Psychologists?? Vle045 3 924 01-21-2022, 03:22 AM
Last Post: PrettyFlyforaChiGuy