Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has anyone taken Shmoop's finite math?
My daughter is currently taking intermediate algebra for the second time at our local CC.  She is going to earn an AA in general business which is not a transfer degree, so she only needs intermediate algebra to earn her AA.  Then she will transfer to a satellite branch of a private Christian college to earn a BA in Business.  The 4-year school will accept ACE credits.  She struggles in math.  ALEKS is now gone.  I want to know if Shmoop's finite math is doable for someone who struggles in math?  Has anyone taken the course?  I have read many posts about difficulties with Shmoop's format, especially in literature classes.  Does anyone know if the finite math is less confusing, especially for the mathematically challenged?

I realize that she could earn a degree much cheaper, but she needs the social contact at the CC (where she has a Board of Governors fee waiver for the $46 per credit hour in California CC's).  So, we are only out fees of $23 per semester and books. The AA in general business is more of a job skills based business degree, so it will certainly only help her in life.  Anyhow, does anyone have information for me about Shmoop's finite math?
I did not take Shmoop's Finite Math, but I did take Finite Math at a CC years ago, and I found it to be easy - but then again, I don't struggle with math at that level (but let's not talk about Stats). The content for the course is exactly what I took back then. It's the course you take before Stats.

Honestly, ALEKS is fairly difficult, so I think she's better off taking courses somewhere else (except the cost of course).

Does she have to take that math course, or are there others that she can take elsewhere? Like, Study.com has a bunch of math courses:
MAT 97: Intro to Mathematical Reasoning
MAT 98: Math for Everyday Life
MAT 99: Essentials of Algebra and Statistics
MAT 102: College Mathematics
GEOM 101: Intro to Geometry

I would check to see what's the lowest level the CC and 4-yr school will take from there, and then take that.

Also, my daughter struggled with Algebra I, but has flown through Geometry at her high school (she's in a self-paced math class). She finds it SO much easier.

The other nice thing with Study.com is that if she starts taking a course and doesn't like it, she can do a lower level course instead and work her way up.

Khan Academy is a free math program that is helpful as well.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Thank you for your swift reply.  Her BA will be titled business and professional leadership.  It is a kind of combination degree which does not require ALL of the "normal" business classes because it has several management/leadership/organizational behavior classes in the program.  She has to have six units of ANY college level math.  

I thought that Shmoop's self-paced format might work best for her IF and only IF their finite math class was more straightforward than some of their other classes.  She also sees getting a single subject teaching credential in business as a possible future, so I thought finite math would be a good choice, then we could see about a statistics class.  This would also open up her options later in case she might one day pursue an MBA.  

She is in her second year of cc and will take 3 years to earn her AA.  So, we have some time, especially in the summer to do something like Shmoop or study.com for her math classes.  Is there any advantage to study.com over Shmoop for math?  I just thought that Shmoop was cheaper and to do one math class this summer (in a single month) and one next summer (also in a single month).  Any further advice from anyone?
I actually just finished Shmoop's Finite Math a few days ago, and honestly it was the longest course I've taken from them so far. 12 units, 11 unit tests, and a final. Not exactly easy either. In a few of the examples, one or two of the quizzes, and one or two of the tests, there were either typos or no right answer. In one case there were two options that were the exact same answer (of the four multiple choice answers) which were both right, but I picked the wrong right answer.
Not trying to be too discouraging, just venting. I'm glad to be done with it. But it's definitely doable. Some units are harder than others
(01-28-2018, 10:45 AM)leland.kirk Wrote: I actually just finished Shmoop's Finite Math a few days ago, and honestly it was the longest course I've taken from them so far. 12 units, 11 unit tests, and a final. Not exactly easy either. In a few of the examples, one or two of the quizzes, and one or two of the tests, there were either typos or no right answer. In one case there were two options that were the exact same answer (of the four multiple choice answers) which were both right, but I picked the wrong right answer.
Not trying to be too discouraging, just venting. I'm glad to be done with it. But it's definitely doable. Some units are harder than others

Was thinking about taking Finite Math, myself. Sounds like its on par with some of the other Shmoop courses. I've seen typos, duplicate and wrong answers in the literature courses I've taken.
Doctor of Medicine candidate (MD) - anticipated complete '24
I just finished Shmoop Geometry and now I am working through Finite Math. I've gotten through two tests and I have a 68. I generally averaged 75 on the geometry class cold, so I think that they are on par with each other in terms of difficulty. I started taking the shmoop biology class as a little break.
Thank you for the helpful answers.  We can always try it on the free trial and then back out if it is horrible or I think it won't work for her.
Have you though about having her take other Math classes at the CC and supplementing it with outside resources such as Khan, Study.com, ALEKS, or even YouTube?

Has she had the same instructor for both attempts at intermediate Algebra?
TESU - BSBA: CIS - Dec '17

TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics COSC Cornerstone, Software Engineering Straighterline Business Ethics

Next:
  Related classes at local CC and various Cybersecurity certifications.

Old username:  ajs1976

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,397 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Any good self-paced option for math such as Calculus II? zcao15 3 956 06-11-2023, 02:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Study.com Math 108: Discrete Mathematics - Optional Quiz and final exam Titan_s 5 2,073 11-11-2022, 10:13 AM
Last Post: simonbellfi
  Need 12 Math Credits - Please Help (and read :) ) acamp 48 8,838 07-08-2022, 08:47 PM
Last Post: creationstory
  Math Course Giantzebra 18 3,427 05-29-2022, 10:47 PM
Last Post: StudentOLife
  Coopersmith Upper Level Math? eriehiker 19 4,774 05-27-2022, 08:06 PM
  Study.com Discrete Math prereqs decibel 18 3,625 03-16-2022, 12:15 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Algebra - which provider for math idiot back2schoolin22 8 1,315 02-02-2022, 08:40 PM
  SDC | Discrete Math akr680 2 1,235 08-16-2021, 12:36 PM
Last Post: akr680
  Math Question lidel 8 1,033 06-17-2021, 11:18 AM
Last Post: lidel