Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has anyone taken online courses at TESU?
I'm curious to know if anyone has taken online courses at TESU.  

Since I'm doing the military degree completion plan, I'm trying to figure out the best way to get my 24 credits & I'm considering taking a couple of classes in addition to TECEPs.  So, I'd love to hear some insider information about the classes you guys have taken.  

Thanks!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Silly_Me's post:
  • JerseyDan
I've taken two, Ethics in the Social Sciences and the Capstone.

The Ethics course was super simple. A short paper every other week, a discussion forum question every week (kind of a joke, just typing anything seems to get you full credit on there), and a final exam that was all common sense "what should you do in this scenario as a professional" type thing.

All straight-forward, easy stuff. Other courses could surely be more difficult, but this one was a simple one.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 2 users Like jsd's post:
  • JerseyDan, NervousTester
I took a few. You can see them in my sig. I tried both Guided Study and Online courses, and I heartily recommend doing the regular online courses. The blog posts are ridiculously easy, and graded really easily. The guided study replaces them with more written assignments which are graded like all the others. Make sure to take a time to look up mentors on ratemyproessor before you register, as there is a big variation on how engaged they are with their classes.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • JerseyDan
(08-07-2017, 08:52 AM)Silly_Me Wrote: I'm curious to know if anyone has taken online courses at TESU.  

Since I'm doing the military degree completion plan, I'm trying to figure out the best way to get my 24 credits & I'm considering taking a couple of classes in addition to TECEPs.  So, I'd love to hear some insider information about the classes you guys have taken.  

Thanks!

I took many (30 credits)- what kind of feedback are you looking for?
(08-07-2017, 09:14 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(08-07-2017, 08:52 AM)Silly_Me Wrote: I'm curious to know if anyone has taken online courses at TESU.  

Thanks!

I'm looking at two upper-level science courses - Biology of Aging + Biology & the Behavior of Dogs.  I don't suppose you have experience w/ either of these?
I've only taken the capstone but I imagine the format is similar for other courses. You interact with the class in a forum and as long as you post the minimum # of posts in the time frame required you get credit. It didn't seem to matter what was posted - just that you did it. You can email the professor with questions through the portal - really simple. The one and only "exam" if you can call it that, was a proficiency exam and the instructions are all spelled out. I imagine its the same for other courses. The assignments are uploaded through the portal as well. Everything is pretty well explained. I found the interface to be really user friendly. Grades, a course calendar and any other relevant information is easy to see.

The last time I took an online course was more than a decade ago and I remember it being a little more complicated then. I was hesitant having my first, and only online course with TESU being the capstone but it turned out to not be a big deal. I can't imagine any of their other courses are any different.
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017
(08-09-2017, 07:22 AM)Silly_Me Wrote:
(08-07-2017, 09:14 PM)cookderosa Wrote:

Thanks!

I'm looking at two upper-level science courses - Biology of Aging + Biology & the Behavior of Dogs.  I don't suppose you have experience w/ either of these?

I haven't. My upper levels are in the social sciences, but I didn't think there was any difference in difficulty between my upper and lower level courses there. The format was like others have said- reading, message board, and assignments. At the time I did it, I had proctored exams that were written, I had to do it in my library. I hate handwriting, as opposed to typing, but besides that, they were doable.
In all my courses (except for the capstone) the course tracked the textbook very closely. Assignments were either problems or end of chapter questions from the textbook. For my Discrete Math course, I was very glad I got the solutions book as I could find a problem similar to the assignment and teach myself from the solutions book. Get whatever resources are available for the text and it will likely be a big help.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
I took Logistics and Total Quality Management (because there was no other option, and boy, did I check!).
The assignments for the whole semester were posted a few days before the class started - great for planning out the work.
Also, there's the option of side-barring with the instructor. If I hadn't had that experience, I wouldn't have had the push to get my MBA. Right now I'm messaging with the same instructor on LinkedIn to get his opinion on doctorate programs.

Very worth it.
-Dina
DBA - researching options currently (if you have any wisdom to share, please do!)
MBA - Management & Strategy, WGU, July 2016
BSBA - Operations Management, TESU, Sept. 2015
AAS - Dietetic Technology, Middlesex County College, May 1999
(08-10-2017, 07:32 AM)passit1 Wrote: I took Logistics and Total Quality Management (because there was no other option, and boy, did I check!).
The assignments for the whole semester were posted a few days before the class started - great for planning out the work.
Also, there's the option of side-barring with the instructor. If I hadn't had that experience, I wouldn't have had the push to get my MBA. Right now I'm messaging with the same instructor on LinkedIn to get his opinion on doctorate programs.

Very worth it.

Who was your professor?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 15 699 03-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,978 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  UC Berkeley Extension courses can transfer ItsNeverTheLionsYear 2 227 03-18-2024, 11:16 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Zero Textbook Cost (ZTC) Courses LevelUP 6 362 03-18-2024, 09:40 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 261 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 230 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 267 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,158 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 392 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP