Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Headed to Afghanistan
clep101 Wrote:Well I finally made it to Afghanistan. I've been here 4 days and I finally got a chance to get online. So far so good 361 days to go to get out of here. I already started my countdown clock. Smile
Sure enough, they have a monopoly on internet service over here. A company called IO Global. $35 for basic slow (dialup slow), service that is only good for email and chat. $70 for a little faster that might be good for skype and yahoo messenger. Then $100 for the slightly faster service that is actually dependable. Video skype and yahoo are no problem with that one. My roommate and I got the $100 package and we split the cost. They make it so every individual person has to pay for internet service and wont be able to split the cost. They try to lock it down to get more money. Good thing my roommate is a computer genius and we made our signal wireless so we can both access it anytime. :coolgleam:
Well, that's my internet war story anyways.

Oh hey, I will not mind at all if any of you want to send me a care package. :roflol: We take anything and everything. I usually split my stuff with my lower ranking Soldiers to make sure they are getting something from home.
Just send me a PM.

On a sad note, my first day at work yesterday and we had a suicide bomber kill 5 US Military, 5 Civilians and wounded lots of others in a nearby province. That is a crappy way to start a tour. Lets keep our guys doing the actual fighting in our prayers.
Talk to you guys later,

So, even though you guys are over there fighting for our country, some jacka$$ company is trying to make a quick buck on your internet by making it so you can't split it? OMG you would think that the govt would have rules against that or subsidize the cost or something. Sad

Very sad to hear about the suicide bomber. Stay safe. We're thinking about you!!

Sending you PM..
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
I have switched over to working the night shift. Good news is, my night time is your daytime. I guess I can be more interactive in here than having to wait to see what you guys post 12 hours later.
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Excelsior College - DONE[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]AAS-[SIZE="1"]2009[/SIZE], BSLS-[SIZE="1"]2010[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B][SIZE="2"]Thomas Edison State College - DONE[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]BA in History[/SIZE]-[SIZE="1"]2011[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE="2"]Texas A&M University Central Texas[/SIZE]
Master of Arts in History - 18/36 SH

CLEPs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Spanish, Freshman Comp, English Comp w/ Essay, Social Science & Hist, Info Sys & Comp App, Intro Sociology, Prin of Mngmt, American Gov , US History I, US History II, Western Civ I, Western Civ II[/SIZE][/SIZE]
DSSTs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Civil War & Reconstruction, Rise & Fall of Soviet Union, History of Vietnam War, Intro Modern Middle East, Western Europe Since 1945, Drug and Alcohol, Here's to Your Hlth, Intro To Comp, Prin of Sup, Technical Writing, Prin of Physical Science I[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote: There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. "Mr. Garrison"[/SIZE]
clep101 Wrote:I have switched over to working the night shift. Good news is, my night time is your daytime. I guess I can be more interactive in here than having to wait to see what you guys post 12 hours later.

Good - I was thinking that you were a slacker waiting so long to respond to posts hilarious

Just kidding of course.. I hope you adjust ok to the night shift. Do you have a decent place to sleep during the day? I hope that it's not too noisy. I'm not sure I could do a night shift and be coherent the next day.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
Hey, CLEP101 is a highly ranked NCO on an FOB I believe. If there is anyone to get decent sleep on that base, it will be him! Good luck Sergeant and stay safe. Hooah!
Excelmywayup Wrote:Hey, CLEP101 is a highly ranked NCO on an FOB I believe. If there is anyone to get decent sleep on that base, it will be him! Good luck Sergeant and stay safe. Hooah!

You're right about the FOB part. As far as sleep, Well I stay about a quarter mile from the runway at the Airbase. So you can only imagine what my sleep is like. And there is no break for planes taking off and landing. The worst part is when the fighter jets take off. My bunk comes off the floor it seems. So far it's pretty safe here, except for the occasional weekly rocket or mortar attack we get on the base. We had 2 come in the other day, one landed in ramps where they park the planes, and the other hit the living areas. Glad no one was killed with those.
Thanks for the well wishes,
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Excelsior College - DONE[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]AAS-[SIZE="1"]2009[/SIZE], BSLS-[SIZE="1"]2010[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B][SIZE="2"]Thomas Edison State College - DONE[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]BA in History[/SIZE]-[SIZE="1"]2011[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE="2"]Texas A&M University Central Texas[/SIZE]
Master of Arts in History - 18/36 SH

CLEPs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Spanish, Freshman Comp, English Comp w/ Essay, Social Science & Hist, Info Sys & Comp App, Intro Sociology, Prin of Mngmt, American Gov , US History I, US History II, Western Civ I, Western Civ II[/SIZE][/SIZE]
DSSTs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Civil War & Reconstruction, Rise & Fall of Soviet Union, History of Vietnam War, Intro Modern Middle East, Western Europe Since 1945, Drug and Alcohol, Here's to Your Hlth, Intro To Comp, Prin of Sup, Technical Writing, Prin of Physical Science I[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote: There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. "Mr. Garrison"[/SIZE]
Our prayers are with you Clep101. Stay safe over there. Thanks again for your service.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why are we still in Afghanistan? CLEP101 23 3,223 05-13-2012, 03:17 PM
Last Post: dewisant
  Instantcert in Afghanistan CLEP101 14 2,778 07-07-2011, 03:11 PM
Last Post: 1Quik46