Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seeking Advice/Info
Howdy folks, and info will be appreciated!

Someone posted this question-air...

1) Basic info about yourself: A mini introduction and degree you are looking for!
Have you read the Beginners Guide? - Y
Have you read the Wiki? - Y
Do you have any certificates? Credits from previous studies? - Y

I have been in the Information Technology field for over 20 years.  I am currently a Director of on IT department in local government (was hard to get w/out a degree).  I would like to get a BSBA or a BS in a related IT field.  Math is a huge weakness of mine.

2) Answer the following questions, so I can better gauge which of the 3 you're looking at - cheap, easy, or fast.
Easy

A) Are you close to a testing site for CLEP? How far and how long would it take you to get there and back?
Yes, about 10 minutes

B) Do you have time to study and test at a site or would you rather do everything online for a little extra in price?
Online if possible

C) What is your price range you're looking at for the degree and time you want to set to complete the degree?
$5,000 - $10,000

D) Are you leaning towards cheap, easy, fast or a combo of them all? Rank them in priority.
1 - Easy
2 - Fast
3 - Cheap

3) Have you applied to the school of choice, are you currently enrolled? - N

Do you have an academic evaluation? N

If no, enter all your credits you have completed and note the school/course you took and grade.
ENGL-1301 83454 Composition I - 3 credits
ENGL-1302 85405 Composition II - 3 credits
SPCH-1315 84489 Public Speaking - 3 credits
DMAT-0305 46402 Developmental Mathematics - 3 credits
ENVR-1401 81401 Environmental Science I - 4 credits

16 total credits (I don't think the DMAT counts)

All at Dallas County Community College District

4) What exactly are you looking for help with or advice on?
I chose a BSBA because I thought it might be the easiest.  I'm not sure if an IT degree would be easier given my background.  If I go the IT route, I would look at the BS in Cybersecurity at TESU, I'm just not sure if the cybersecurity classes can be transferred in.  I would like to take as few classes at the actual college as possible, how much can I transfer in?  I have no wife or kids so I should be able to dedicate a lot of time to this.

Given the information above, which do you think of the big 3 will be best for me?
Although WGU may be a better fit for you, you can transfer in up to 90 credit there before enrolling - https://www.wgu.edu/online-business-degr...ogram.html or https://www.wgu.edu/online-it-degrees/in...ogram.html. If you are eligible for tuition assistance from your employer then WGU works for that.  If you do go the route of TESU then I would recommend the BSBA-CIS concentration; https://www.tesu.edu/business/bsba/compu...on-systems - you're already in IT Management, so career wise it fits well. Also don't worry about the math - there are many options to get the requirements met (TESU BSBA is Algebra and Statistics); if one option doesn't work for you there will be another.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

Thanks for the response! CIS is typically programming. I have no experience with that, and have no interest in it. I am also trying to stay away from WGU, I would like to transfer more than 90 credits if possible. I would rather look into cybersecurity at TESU or COSC if I cannot find an easy way to get something with Business Administration.
(02-18-2020, 09:39 AM)idontworkhere Wrote: Thanks for the response!  CIS is typically programming.  I have no experience with that, and have no interest in it.  I am also trying to stay away from WGU, I would like to transfer more than 90 credits if possible.  I would rather look into cybersecurity at TESU or COSC  if I cannot find an easy way to get something with Business Administration.

Just an FYI, although you can only transfer in 90cr to WGU, it's the fastest and cheapest of the bunch if you finish in 1 term.  Cybersecurity at TESU or COSC is not completely able to be tested out of I don't think, so it's going to cost more to find those required courses.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I see you used my template! It's good to know the basic details of what you're looking for. Anyways, BSBA CIS might be what you're looking for as CIS is NOT typically programming at all. There is only 1 programming course requirement and the rest can be anything in CIS such as MIS, Database Management, System Analysis & Design, Digital Marketing & Advertising and you can get an Intro to Cybersecurity for the final course.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Thanks for the replies everyone! Allvia, I apologize as I didn't even click the link you posted about the BSBA CIS at TESU. And thanks for the clarification, bjcheung77.

I think I will do the BSBA CIS route. Now on to creating a list of what all I need to do in the CLEP/DSST/ECE/TECEP ACE-approved online credit sources.
Your degree plan is actually relatively easy to complete. I have one for the BSBA GM in my Beginners Guide post #28/31 in the signature. You just need to download it and change these things. Your Math requirement can be done with ALEKS College Algebra, the Stats requirement can be done with the CSM Learn course. And the AOS is the 5 courses I mentioned in my previous post! Voila!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Seeking Advice on transferring to WGU out of SNHU dlachance1977 5 125 03-26-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 28 1,844 03-26-2024, 06:00 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  IT Degree Options Advice theredwallflower 4 555 03-23-2024, 11:08 AM
Last Post: theredwallflower
  Seeking Guidance on beginning degree BeginAgain_1980 9 237 03-20-2024, 04:13 PM
  Critique and Advice on Plan for Computer Science BA from TESU aseneca 6 370 03-19-2024, 10:59 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Degree planning advice, fastest way, need help Bikingrox211 17 1,020 03-18-2024, 05:21 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Advice: Associates Chilow 14 1,274 03-17-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Look for advice about choosing CS degree Humphrey141 2 207 03-12-2024, 01:53 PM
Last Post: davewill
Big Grin Degree Planning Advice - Pierpont to UMPI or WGU ElBert 11 547 03-11-2024, 07:02 PM
  Looking for some input/advice kyledudedog 5 295 03-05-2024, 09:25 PM
Last Post: Hotdogman1