Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help In getting a Degree/Degrees former Navy
Hi everyone. I ran into this website while looking for info on college classes. I've gotten a lot of good info but I have a few questions. 
I was a GSE in the Navy discharged in 2004. I went to college but I dropped and started working. Not long ago I found out that I still qualify for the Post 911 GI Bill. However, my benefits end in June 2019.
I'm hoping to eventually get a Bachelors in Business Administration. In my current job, I've hit a ceiling and I need some sort of degree to get further. I also see that I can get an Associate's in technology from Excelsior College or Tesu due to my GSE training in the Navy. 
I would really like to get that associate because my job is in the electrical and electronic field. I also work at a power plant part time at my job. 
If I can get both I think it will help me more in my career. 
I enrolled in college last year for the fall semester. I've taken two classes so far and I'm currently enrolled in two more for the intercession. 
Also, my job pays for Uexcel and up to 2000 a year in tuition. I'm hoping to use those once my GI bill expires. 
I'm also fluent in Spanish so I'm hoping to get more credits from that through a Uexcel exam. 
So here are the classes that I've taken so far. 

General Astronomy
Principles of Composition
History of US to 1876
Art Appreciation
Intro Computer Info Systems
Windows Command Line
Introduction to Business
Introduction To Psychology
Introduction To Ethics
Introduction To Philosophy

Elementary Algebra

I'm currently enrolled in Business Writing and Macroeconomics which are four-week courses. 
From my Navy Transcript for Excelsior college they recommend the AAS Technical Studies (Electromechanical Tech)

Any help/advice would really be appreciated.
If you now have an Associate's in technology from Excelsior College use your Post 9/11 GI and they will pay for it.  I paid for nothing in my BS in the Fall of 2017 with the Post 9/11 at Excelsior College.  They even paid all the fees.

Then look at all three of the Big 3 BS in business programs and all your credits.  If your work will pay for UExcel than EC might be a better long-term fit.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

UExcel exams work just as well for TESU, so I wouldn't let that be a factor.

I'm not certain what GSE stands for, so I can't help there.  But, if you posted your JST, that might be helpful.  Here is a TESU BSBA plan.  It's not the most flexible plan in the world, but it's a good one at a good price.  If your JST has a lot of courses that TESU won't take towards your BSBA, then EC or COSC may be better options.

Forgot to mention, the UExcel exam for Spanish is only 6cr, so not a lot - but since it's free, you're probably ok to take that. I would also take the ACTFL OPIc exam, it's about $100 and you can earn up to 12cr for it. There are more ACTFL exams you can take, but I don't think you'll be able to utilize them in the TESU BSBA. And I have no idea how COSC or EC will utilize those for you, so you may want to ask them.

Attached Files
.xlsx   rustydroid TESU BSBA GenMan.xlsx (Size: 39.49 KB / Downloads: 16)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Rustydroid
Thought I'd add this in for FYI purposes. With Excelsior, Uexcel exams count as regular classes for GI Bill purposes. I've been planning my Uexcel exams to maximize the Post 911 BAH. Enrollment begins when you register for the exam and ends when you take the exam (one (3) credit uexcel exam within a 4-week period is considered full time for that 4 week period)
[-] The following 2 users Like jkerns's post:
  • Life Long Learning, Yenisei
You should apply to Excelsior and TESU to see which school provides you the best deal and least amount of courses remaining. When I see people with JST, I recommend them to go for the BS Technical Studies to see if their transfers will take up the entire AOS. If it does, great - degree choice solved. If not, then they can decide on the BALS or BSBA.

I would work on the missing general education courses as it would apply to both schools, they practically have the same exact courses for gen eds. You can then focus on the remainder of the courses after you get the evaluation back from them, to decide on the school and program of your choice.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Yenisei
(01-07-2018, 06:20 AM)jkerns Wrote: Thought I'd add this in for FYI purposes. With Excelsior, Uexcel exams count as regular classes for GI Bill purposes. I've been planning my Uexcel exams to maximize the Post 911 BAH. Enrollment begins when you register for the exam and ends when you take the exam (one (3) credit uexcel exam within a 4-week period is considered full time for that 4 week period)

I did not know that.  This is a huge $$$ tip for those who still in this position.  So you sign up and wait exactly 4 weeks to take the exam?    

One UExcel exam: $110 3 UL SH
BAH Online for Albany NY: $841 Month
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

As long as you take the exam within 4 weeks of registration it will count as full time rate of pursuit. No clue why the TECEP's aren't treated the same way.
(01-07-2018, 03:59 AM)dfrecore Wrote: UExcel exams work just as well for TESU, so I wouldn't let that be a factor.

I'm not certain what GSE stands for, so I can't help there.  But, if you posted your JST, that might be helpful.  Here is a TESU BSBA plan.  It's not the most flexible plan in the world, but it's a good one at a good price.  If your JST has a lot of courses that TESU won't take towards your BSBA, then EC or COSC may be better options.

Forgot to mention, the UExcel exam for Spanish is only 6cr, so not a lot - but since it's free, you're probably ok to take that.  I would also take the ACTFL OPIc exam, it's about $100 and you can earn up to 12cr for it.  There are more ACTFL exams you can take, but I don't think you'll be able to utilize them in the TESU BSBA.  And I have no idea how COSC or EC will utilize those for you, so you may want to ask them.

Hey thanks for those tips and for the chart. Thanks to everyone else for the comments. I've attached my JST from the Navy. Also attached the Excelsior degree path that was produced when I selected Excelsior college on the JST webpage.

Attached Files
.pdf   edited_Navy Transcript.pdf (Size: 250.51 KB / Downloads: 11)
.pdf   edited_Excelsior College Elentromechanical technology.pdf (Size: 25.46 KB / Downloads: 15)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rustydroid's post:
  • Life Long Learning
That is a neat 8-page JST/Excelsior guide.  I did not of that feature. Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,155 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,817 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,275 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,621 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  TESU Degrees and Middle East Countries laoshijeff 5 2,718 09-01-2018, 12:46 PM
Last Post: teacher2
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,780 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,752 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 4,942 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,938 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,305 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627