Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help! Planning TESC BSBA with Sophia Courses?
Hey all, so I signed up for the yearly membership for Sophia, and I'm looking for some direction with getting a BA from TESC. To be honest I was going to go for marketing and still may, but I am also at a point where I just want to get a degree in a year or less. To put into context, I am currently in marketing and have worked at a digital marketing agency for 5 years, which is why I was going for the Marketing degree route. However, I'm open to the fastest path possible to a Business Degree because I plan to move to Japan (lifelong dream) and teach English for a bit.

I plan to complete ALL Sophia courses and would like to avoid, CLEP or Proctored Exams as much as possible by using Study.com/Straightline,

TLDR. I'd like assistance creating a business or marketing degree plan using Sophia, and other not proctored exam sources to graduate from TESC within a year. 

SO here is what I have completed thus far. 

CC
Intro To Business
Intro To Sociology
Intro To Archaeology
Intro to Philosophy
English Comp 1
World History
Computer Information Systems
Management Information Systems
Principles of Marketing
Principles of Management
Public Speaking
Web Design 1
Art Appreciation

SOPHIA
Macroeconomics
Microeconomic
Accounting
Principles of Finance
College Algebra
Statistics

Thank you for your help!
First off, SDC/SL/Davar/etc. all use proctoring. Some use ProctorU (which is not liked much around here) and others, like SDC, use RPNow. There's no way around proctoring. 

Without anything else, completing Sopha gives you about 78 credits towards a BSBA degree. I currently have 75 credits towards a BSBA Marketing (this is not what I am studying but TESU lets you play "what if" so I've attached that evaluation). 

I have not yet completed English Comp II (I will)
I have not finished Business Law
I have not finished Public Speaking (I might)

I have taken SDC's Library Science 101: Information Literacy and that came in as LIS-102 : Information Literacy. I also took Communications 101: Public Speaking and that filled the role of COM-209 : Public Speaking that Sophia's Public Speaking would otherwise slot into.

What's left besides the above-mentioned courses:
  • Capstone & cornerstone (TESU, obviously)
  • American Government - InstantCert is the cheapest for this - $20 + $15 proctoring fee. But you can also use SDC if you prefer.
  • Principles of Managerial Accounting - InstantCert, Davar, SDC, SL, and a TECEP
  • Principles of Management - Davar, SDC, SL
  • Introduction to Marketing - OnlineDegree (if you're a US citizen) costs the least, Saylor, Davar, Coopersmith, TECEP
  • International Management or Business in Society - Davar (international management)
  • Managerial Communications - SDC, Davar
  • Marketing Research - SDC
  • 5 AOS electives - SDC has a number of courses that would work here.

Attached Files
.jpg   TESU Evaluation BSBA Marketing Sept.4.2020.sm.jpg (Size: 438.7 KB / Downloads: 48)
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • celticlapu
(09-06-2020, 11:35 AM)rachel83az Wrote: First off, SDC/SL/Davar/etc. all use proctoring. Some use ProctorU (which is not liked much around here) and others, like SDC, use RPNow. There's no way around proctoring. 

Without anything else, completing Sopha gives you about 78 credits towards a BSBA degree. I currently have 75 credits towards a BSBA Marketing (this is not what I am studying but TESU lets you play "what if" so I've attached that evaluation). 

I have taken SDC's Library Science 101: Information Literacy and that came in as LIS-102 : Information Literacy. I also took Communications 101: Public Speaking and that filled the role of COM-209 : Public Speaking that Sophia's Public Speaking would otherwise slot into.

• American Government - InstantCert is the cheapest for this - $20 + $15 proctoring fee. But you can also use SDC if you prefer.
  • Principles of Managerial Accounting - InstantCert, Davar, SDC, SL, and a TECEP
  • Introduction to Marketing - OnlineDegree (if you're a US citizen) costs the least, Saylor, Davar, Coopersmith, TECEP
  • International Management or Business in Society - Davar (international management)

FWIW, OldManOfTheSea reported that Instacert's Managerial Accounting came in at TESU as Financial Accounting II (ACC-312) for UL credit.  Maybe consider using one of the other providers for Managerial Accounting and slotting the UL Financial Accounting II (ACC-312) into the AOS?

3 UL credits for $35.00.  Not too bad.....(well if you get it done in a month)
[-] The following 1 user Likes BrianFallon's post:
  • rachel83az
(09-06-2020, 11:57 AM)BrianFallon Wrote: FWIW, OldManOfTheSea reported that Instacert's Managerial Accounting came in at TESU as Financial Accounting II (ACC-312) for UL credit.  Maybe consider the using one of the other providers for Managerial Accounting and slotting the UL Financial Accounting II (ACC-312) into the AOS?

3 UL credits for $35.00.  Not too bad.....(well if you get it done in a month)

I forgot about that! Thanks for the reminder. That's definitely a good idea for meeting the UL credit requirements.
  • BrianFallon
(09-06-2020, 10:14 AM)celticlapu Wrote: Hey all, so I signed up for the yearly membership for Sophia, and I'm looking for some direction with getting a BA from TESC. To be honest I was going to go for marketing and still may, but I am also at a point where I just want to get a degree in a year or less. To put into context, I am currently in marketing and have worked at a digital marketing agency for 5 years, which is why I was going for the Marketing degree route.  However,  I'm open to the fastest path possible to a Business Degree  because I plan to move to Japan (lifelong dream) and teach English for a bit.

I plan to complete ALL Sophia courses and would like to avoid, CLEP or Proctored Exams as much as possible by using Study.com/Straightline,

TLDR. I'd like assistance creating a business or marketing degree plan using Sophia, and other not proctored exam sources to graduate from TESC within a year. 

SO here is what I have completed thus far. 

CC
Intro To Business
Intro To Sociology
Intro To Archaeology
Intro to Philosophy
English Comp 1
World History
Computer Information Systems
Management Information Systems
Principles of Marketing
Principles of Management
Public Speaking
Web Design 1
Art Appreciation

SOPHIA
Macroeconomics
Microeconomic
Accounting
Principles of Finance
College Algebra
Statistics

Thank you for your help!

That shows how much of a noob I am, so disregard the "avoid proctoring" bit. I see there is no way around it! No worries!

(09-06-2020, 11:35 AM)rachel83az Wrote: First off, SDC/SL/Davar/etc. all use proctoring. Some use ProctorU (which is not liked much around here) and others, like SDC, use RPNow. There's no way around proctoring. 

This is fantastic, thanks for attaching this! Dumb question does it cost to have TESC Do an evaluation?
TESU does evaluation free if you are enrolled
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cofffeee's post:
  • celticlapu
You can play "what if" as much as you like once you are fully enrolled. For instance, I currently have 80 credits towards a math degree even while I only have 75 towards BSBA degrees. Why? Because math has more electives and a couple of classes were able to move up out of the "discard" slot that they're in for a BSBA Marketing. For the same reason, I also have more credits if I were to switch to a BSBA GM (check out the other recent thread to see that evaluation).
  • celticlapu
There are two Statistics courses at Sophia. One is entitled Foundations of Statistics and the other is Introduction to Statistics. Unless I am wrong, TESU will only accept Intro and not Foundations. Can someone confirm this?
That is correct. Do NOT take Foundations, even to get an idea of how statistics work. It is awful and too abbreviated. It winds up being more confusing, IMO, than intro to stats.
Yeah, I just found out about this the hard way...after I completed the Foundations. Angry 

Is there an updated list for Sophia course equivalencies for TESU? I thought I saw one before and I can't find it now.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 34 2,146 Today, 05:21 AM
Last Post: ASenna
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 58 1,895 Today, 12:31 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Degree/Planning Advice: Retired LEO Seeking BA and MA after life-altering injury Han_Shot_First_IYKYK 24 1,102 04-16-2024, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Han_Shot_First_IYKYK
  LUO or TESU for BSBA kimberlyagapril 5 184 04-16-2024, 01:06 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  UMPI BLS Degree planning advice, need help huiwh1998 16 532 04-08-2024, 11:27 AM
  Degree planning advice, fastest way, need help Bikingrox211 19 1,294 04-06-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Bikingrox211
  Educational Degree Planning Help nhmimi 10 384 03-29-2024, 01:55 PM
  Degree Planning- MS degree dodek101 8 466 03-28-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: Captainrekt000
  Racking up Sophia Credits - What's Next? Ljanelle 5 381 03-17-2024, 02:11 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
Big Grin Degree Planning - Longtime listener, first time caller Wiser Indigenous 10 945 03-17-2024, 01:15 PM
Last Post: rachel83az