Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help With Excelsior.
(11-09-2017, 11:10 PM)jsd Wrote: Meh, to each their own. I don't care if anyone likes or doesn't like a particular school. I'm guilty of it too with bashing Patten all of the time. Excelsior seems fine, but expensive compared to the other two. I think I know the least about COSC though.

I can also advise the OP to run from Excelsior College if he gets a better deal and I would.  I am a consumer of non-traditional adult education not a slave to an institution.

Just because TESU was not the best fit for me, they are still one of the Big 3, and they have the most degrees to choose from.  I admire TESU for that.  65,000 TESU alumni have been credentialed by TESU so that alone is a great fact.  Whenever I find press on any of the three, I try to post it.  I goggle non-traditional education opportunities every week. 

Back to the topic, COSC has had some excellent press on their IT degree.  They should be looked at in this area also.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

(11-10-2017, 12:53 AM)Thank you .  Will let you know soon. dfrecore Wrote: I would not stay and fight with EC when you have other options available.  They are not the cheapest of the Big 3 any longer either, so it's not like you need them.

TESU will not take your certs, so they are most likely out of the running.

COSC may or may not take them, so it's worth applying.

WGU may be your best bet if your certs are current (within 5 years).  They take tons, and would also bring your AAS in to fulfill your Gen Ed's, so there's another hurdle done.  You sound like the kind of person this type of competency-based degree would be perfect for - you can test out of almost everything quickly.  So you could get done in a single term.  They also have a bunch of good choices for IT degrees - more than that others, and something that will probably fit you very well.

If I were you, I would apply to WGU, including sending through all of your certs.  They will do an eval for you very quickly (a few days).  Then, DO NOT ENROLL!!  Come here, post your eval, and let us see what you have.  At that point, we can offer some ideas on how to get through your degree as quickly as possible.  You can test out of some additional credits with a variety of methods/providers, enroll, and hopefully have minimal credits to finish up.

(11-09-2017, 09:53 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote: I am an Excelsior College and Big 3 fan.  TESU and COSC also have IT degrees.  I applied to all three and they are all different.  Only then will you really know who will really do what for you.

I am a fan of any school that lets you get your degree quickly and cheaply!!!  That means the Big 3, plus competency-based programs - for most people.

The only reason I push TESU is because I understand their degrees better, and can easily make a plan.  But I would certainly tell someone to go somewhere else if there was a better fit.
(11-10-2017, 12:53 AM)I moved my degree to just Liberal Arts.  I have attached my degree map.  Can you give me DSST test and Clep test ideas to get it all done?  I would greatly appreciate it.Thank you,Sarah dfrecore Wrote: I would not stay and fight with EC when you have other options available.  They are not the cheapest of the Big 3 any longer either, so it's not like you need them.

TESU will not take your certs, so they are most likely out of the running.

COSC may or may not take them, so it's worth applying.

WGU may be your best bet if your certs are current (within 5 years).  They take tons, and would also bring your AAS in to fulfill your Gen Ed's, so there's another hurdle done.  You sound like the kind of person this type of competency-based degree would be perfect for - you can test out of almost everything quickly.  So you could get done in a single term.  They also have a bunch of good choices for IT degrees - more than that others, and something that will probably fit you very well.

If I were you, I would apply to WGU, including sending through all of your certs.  They will do an eval for you very quickly (a few days).  Then, DO NOT ENROLL!!  Come here, post your eval, and let us see what you have.  At that point, we can offer some ideas on how to get through your degree as quickly as possible.  You can test out of some additional credits with a variety of methods/providers, enroll, and hopefully have minimal credits to finish up.

(11-09-2017, 09:53 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote: I am an Excelsior College and Big 3 fan.  TESU and COSC also have IT degrees.  I applied to all three and they are all different.  Only then will you really know who will really do what for you.

I am a fan of any school that lets you get your degree quickly and cheaply!!!  That means the Big 3, plus competency-based programs - for most people.

The only reason I push TESU is because I understand their degrees better, and can easily make a plan.  But I would certainly tell someone to go somewhere else if there was a better fit.

Attached Files
.pdf   11-15-2017.pdf (Size: 35.23 KB / Downloads: 5)
I would recommend creating a spreadsheet for courses you have and yet to complete. Then track it.
You might be able to complete a degree plan by following the exam equivalencies on this link from Excelsior:
https://documents.excelsior.edu/document...m-catalog/
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Life Long Learning
(11-19-2017, 08:37 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: I would recommend creating a spreadsheet for courses you have and yet to complete.  Then track it.
You might be able to complete a degree plan by following the exam equivalencies on this link from Excelsior:
https://documents.excelsior.edu/document...m-catalog/

Thank you.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior HR Degree Progress glgamerica 6 1,827 07-31-2018, 10:44 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excelsior: ALEKS Beginning Algebra duplicates ... bluebooger 13 3,167 07-26-2018, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Exfactor
  Excelsior College 47th Annual Commencement - 12 Year Old Graduate Life Long Learning 16 4,922 07-26-2018, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 1 1,292 07-20-2018, 11:10 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 0 961 07-19-2018, 02:06 PM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  Excelsior annual fees homeschoolmom1 1 1,262 07-14-2018, 11:27 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
Photo Shmoop Excelsior Evaluations In ReyMysterioso 0 1,775 06-27-2018, 10:20 AM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Excelsior College awarded 245K for Advanced Nuclear Project Life Long Learning 1 1,218 06-25-2018, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Excelsior College ranked #1 Life Long Learning 11 3,389 06-21-2018, 07:57 PM
Last Post: miah
  Quick Question about Excelsior hsfamfun 5 1,855 06-21-2018, 03:05 PM
Last Post: radconjohn