Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help for a beginning international student!
Dear All,

I am an Indian citizen, working in India. I have a job as an airline pilot. However, I want to pursue a degree for the sake of two reasons - 

1. As a possible additional qualificiation in case I decide to apply for any managerial positions in the airline. For this I would just need a degree of sorts, and not necessarily a Business degree.

2. As a possible backup standalone educational qualification - I would have ideally loved to do a BS IT degree. However, I don't know if I would be able to cope with the Programming courses, trying to learn on my own while working everyday.

Now, from whatever I have seen, there are some Aviation specialized BSBA's at TESU. I do have an FAA CPL also, but I'm unsure if it'll be accepted in the first place, as its around 10 years old. I am unable to figure out the cost/availability of those required aviation UL Credits, and if its at all feasible to do them on my own outside TESU.

So this leaves me trying to figure out what degree I should do in the first place, and how to go about doing it. I think either a Business or an IT degree is what I would ideally want to do.

I would really appreciate any help in this regard - What degree would you suggest considering the above things, and is there a degree plan I could use? My considerations are that the total cost should be as less as possible (but if it is really worth it, I don't mind spending a little more), and it should not be too tough to do the courses (like BS IT in WGU, which would require actual professional level Programming knowledge and skills).

I have the option of doing a BSc in Business (like a BSBA) from University of London through Distance Education by writing exams every 5-6 months.. but the drawback is that it will take 3 years to finish it, and I cannot expedite it.

I do not have any previous credits I can transfer in, except my aviation related qualifications/licenses.

I will be able to dedicate 2 hours of serious study everyday, and 5-6 hours on my days off.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!
Hi. One question: Have you cleared TOEFL iBT? This is one of the requisites for international students from countries where English is not the primary language. Also, if you completed your high school in India (+2), there is a procedure to evaluate your transcripts before seeking admission in American universities. I am not sure of the steps involved, but there are many here who can help. Great new year resolution though! All the best!
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
(01-01-2019, 01:33 AM)Supermind Wrote: Hi. One question: Have you cleared TOEFL iBT? This is one of the requisites for international students from countries where English is not the primary language. Also, if you completed your high school in India (+2), there is a procedure to evaluate your transcripts before seeking admission in American universities. I am not sure of the steps involved, but there are many here who can help. Great new year resolution though! All the best!

Hi Supermind, Thank you so much for the reply! I have taken IELTS, which is equivalent to TOEFL i think. 

I had applied to some Universities in the US and UK before deciding to pursue flying...I don't remember getting my transcripts evaluated...I just remember sending them scanned transcripts..but this was 11 years back :Big Grin

Once its decided where to apply, I can ask that University/College directly if they require a separate evaluation.
Great! IELTS is accepted too. But did you take it within the last two years?

Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 

(01-01-2019, 02:10 AM)Supermind Wrote: Great! IELTS is accepted too. But did you take it within the last two years?

Yes, I took it about 7-8 months back.
In which case, you should start looking up degree options in TESU. Once you are clear, start completing courses and earning credits.

If any degree is ok for you, consider a BA-Liberal Studies in TESU with a General Management or Human Resources concentration. Or you could pursue a BSBA too.

In your shoes, I would go ahead and apply to TESU and send them your FAA info. That's the only way to know for sure whether they will accept it, and what it will count for. Start now, as it will take a minimum of a month before TESU evaluates your credits. Meanwhile, follow any of the BSBA degree plans on here and start getting your GenEd credits. They are the same for almost any TESU degree. Once you know if you have credit for the aviation specialty, then you can decide which BSBA specialty to pick.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Thanks Supermind, will look into the options available.

Davewill, that's great advice. I will contact TESU to check what credits they can waive off with my FAA CPL. I'd love to start off with the general credits which are common to most BSBA Degrees. I'm actually looking for an up to date degree plan which gives me the best/least expensive way to pursue the credits. I was able to find some degree plans here, but not sure if they are the best way to go forward. I can't use Modern States since I'm not in the US. So wondering what the cheapest plan would be for the Generic BSBA Credits, for the moment.
(01-03-2019, 10:43 AM)aditya320 Wrote: Thanks Supermind, will look into the options available.

Davewill, that's great advice. I will contact TESU to check what credits they can waive off with my FAA CPL. I'd love to start off with the general credits which are common to most BSBA Degrees. I'm actually looking for an up to date degree plan which gives me the best/least expensive way to pursue the credits. I was able to find some degree plans here, but not sure if they are the best way to go forward. I can't use Modern States since I'm not in the US. So wondering what the cheapest plan would be for the Generic BSBA Credits, for the moment.

Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting you "check with them" or ask them about your FAA credits. That is too likely to be an exercise in futility. I'm suggesting you actually apply, pay the $75 fee, and send them all of your official transcripts or certs from the FAA. That way the correct dept at TESU will actually deal with it. Other folks can help you with the GenEds, but the BSBA plans have been stable for a long time, and most of them have multiple options already listed for most of the requirements.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
@aditya320, you might want to take a look at this: https://www.google.com/amp/s/blog.tesu.e...amp%3Dtrue

https://www2.tesu.edu/oapwl/client.php?c...nt=FAA-ATP

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UMHB MyWay CBE BAS Now Welcomes International Students Jonathan Whatley 2 431 11-09-2023, 12:27 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Clackamas CC ARPA Payment - check your student email! ctcarl 4 992 08-13-2021, 08:31 AM
Last Post: ctcarl
  International Uni's with RA in USA Prof.Gringo 2 1,002 12-16-2020, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Cofffeee
  Questions From Future Student Looking to Enroll at TESU, Excelsior, or WGU Kalpa 8 3,899 07-26-2019, 09:06 AM
Last Post: UptonSinclair
  International Student seeking guidance from others SweetsugarNL 17 2,745 07-22-2019, 05:48 PM
Last Post: SweetsugarNL
  International Czech girl need help BA LadaD 0 958 01-11-2019, 12:28 AM
Last Post: LadaD