Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with BALS General Management Concentration or alternatives
(04-03-2018, 12:51 PM)YeaStudy Wrote:
(04-03-2018, 12:34 PM)allvia Wrote: Your posts keep referencing your original 2015 TESC evaluation, many things have changed with TESU since then (besides the name change).  Have you had them do an official evaluation for the BALS-General Management concentration for you yet?  They won't put anything in it proper place until you have that official evaluation completed.   Before you do that what was your original evaluation in - what degree program?  Have you been activly enrolled all this time and are currently still locked into that catalog of 2015 still?

When I originally posted last month I had not yet re-applied to TESU so they referred to my original 2015 evaluation.  I have since re-applied and gotten a new academic evaluation as suggested so my post today was in reference to the new evaluation.

My previous official evaluation was in Bachelor of Arts - Social Sciences which is no longer offered.  

I have not been actively enrolled since 2015.  I re-enrolled in March 2018.    

I had a new official evaluation for the BALS-General Management concentration done in April 2018.  I then emailed Academic Advising specifically requesting that the study.com courses suggested in the spreadsheet be approved for the General Management area of study.  Their response was as follows: 

"Organizational Theory from Study.com will transfer in as PSY-360, Organizational Theory. This course is recommended for credit until August 31, 2020. This course will apply toward your Organizational Theory Requirement.

Industrial/Organizational Psychology from Study.com will transfer in as PSY-401, Industrial/Organizational Psychology. This course will apply toward your Liberal Studies Area of Study.

Leading Organizational Change, Negotiations and Conflict Management, and Managerial Communication are not recommended for credit so they would not be able to apply toward your degree program. Please see the link below regarding courses that are currently recommended for credit:

https://study.com/directory/school/Thoma...ransferTab"

They placed Organizational Theory in the General Management area of study and Industrial/Organizational Psychology in the liberal studies area of study in my degree plan.  They did not place the others as they're currently saying those aren't accepted for credit.

OK, this now makes more sense to me.   The "Please see the link below regarding courses that are currently recommended for credit:"  is actually is more what is Agreed to Transfer as credit (between Study.com & TESU).

Study.com's Leading Organizational Change, Negotiations and Conflict Management, and Managerial Communication are all recommended for credit (NCCRS) as you mentioned; they just cannot be pre-planned due to not being on their official transfer agreement. TESU will almost always give UL credit based on the recommendation of NCCRS as well (which all three are recommended for).

So all three will transfer to TESU, but I'm not sure if there is anyone here who can confirm what exactly they will transfer in as - and that is what matters.   I believe these are some of the newer Study.com course additions and I don't recall seeing anyone posting the incoming equivalencies yet.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(04-03-2018, 01:06 PM)allvia Wrote:
(04-03-2018, 12:51 PM)YeaStudy Wrote:
(04-03-2018, 12:34 PM)allvia Wrote: Your posts keep referencing your original 2015 TESC evaluation, many things have changed with TESU since then (besides the name change).  Have you had them do an official evaluation for the BALS-General Management concentration for you yet?  They won't put anything in it proper place until you have that official evaluation completed.   Before you do that what was your original evaluation in - what degree program?  Have you been activly enrolled all this time and are currently still locked into that catalog of 2015 still?

When I originally posted last month I had not yet re-applied to TESU so they referred to my original 2015 evaluation.  I have since re-applied and gotten a new academic evaluation as suggested so my post today was in reference to the new evaluation.

My previous official evaluation was in Bachelor of Arts - Social Sciences which is no longer offered.  

I have not been actively enrolled since 2015.  I re-enrolled in March 2018.    

I had a new official evaluation for the BALS-General Management concentration done in April 2018.  I then emailed Academic Advising specifically requesting that the study.com courses suggested in the spreadsheet be approved for the General Management area of study.  Their response was as follows: 

"Organizational Theory from Study.com will transfer in as PSY-360, Organizational Theory. This course is recommended for credit until August 31, 2020. This course will apply toward your Organizational Theory Requirement.

Industrial/Organizational Psychology from Study.com will transfer in as PSY-401, Industrial/Organizational Psychology. This course will apply toward your Liberal Studies Area of Study.

Leading Organizational Change, Negotiations and Conflict Management, and Managerial Communication are not recommended for credit so they would not be able to apply toward your degree program. Please see the link below regarding courses that are currently recommended for credit:

https://study.com/directory/school/Thoma...ransferTab"

They placed Organizational Theory in the General Management area of study and Industrial/Organizational Psychology in the liberal studies area of study in my degree plan.  They did not place the others as they're currently saying those aren't accepted for credit.

OK, this now makes more sense to me.   The "Please see the link below regarding courses that are currently recommended for credit:"  is actually is more what is Agreed to Transfer as credit (between Study.com & TESU).

Study.com's Leading Organizational Change, Negotiations and Conflict Management, and Managerial Communication are all recommended for credit (NCCRS) as you mentioned; they just cannot be pre-planned due to not being on their official transfer agreement. TESU will almost always give UL credit based on the recommendation of NCCRS as well (which all three are recommended for).

So all three will transfer to TESU, but I'm not sure if there is anyone here who can confirm what exactly they will transfer in as - and that is what matters.   I believe these are some of the newer Study.com course additions and I don't recall seeing anyone posting the incoming equivalencies yet.

Thank you, that's very helpful to know that they will accept the credits even if they won't pre-plan them.  I guess I was confused as I thought the advice above was for me to get the courses pre-approved since they're not part of the transfer agreement but it sounds like you're saying that it's just not possible to get them pre-approved.  

Since Industrial/Organizational Psychology is included in their transfer agreement but isn't accepted to fill the Industrial Psychology requirement of the General Management concentration getting approval of the rest is a moot point anyway I suppose.
They regularly make mistakes, so I would consider taking the course, and seeing if they put them in there correctly. Or talking to someone else.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(04-03-2018, 04:45 PM)dfrecore Wrote: They regularly make mistakes, so I would consider taking the course, and seeing if they put them in there correctly.  Or talking to someone else.

Thanks, I gave that a shot but did not have any luck with getting Industrial/Organizational Psychology approved for the General Management area of study.  They said the other three are currently being reviewed to establish equivalencies.
(04-03-2018, 06:15 PM)YeaStudy Wrote:
(04-03-2018, 04:45 PM)dfrecore Wrote: They regularly make mistakes, so I would consider taking the course, and seeing if they put them in there correctly.  Or talking to someone else.

Thanks, I gave that a shot but did not have any luck with getting Industrial/Organizational Psychology approved for the General Management area of study.  They said the other three are currently being reviewed to establish equivalencies.

I'm confused, if what you posted was a quote from TESU they said it would count "Industrial/Organizational Psychology from Study.com will transfer in as PSY-401, Industrial/Organizational Psychology. This course will apply toward your Liberal Studies Area of Study."
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(04-03-2018, 06:56 PM)allvia Wrote:
(04-03-2018, 06:15 PM)YeaStudy Wrote:

I'm confused, if what you posted was a quote from TESU they said it would count "Industrial/Organizational Psychology from Study.com will transfer in as PSY-401, Industrial/Organizational Psychology. This course will apply toward your Liberal Studies Area of Study."

There's a distinction between the course requirements and Area of Study for this concentration.  The General Management concentration requires 6 specific courses with an additional 12 credits of liberal studies courses and all 30 of those credits are considered the "Area of Study."  They won't take it for the class required for the General Management concentration but instead slot it as part of the additional 12 liberal studies credits.

They said "Organizational Theory...will apply toward your Organizational Theory Requirement" and placed that course in the Organizational Theory requirement in the General Management concentration.  

They said "Industrial/Organizational Psychology...will apply toward your Liberal Studies Area of Study." and placed that course in the Liberal Studies section but NOT in the Industrial Psychology requirement in the General Management concentration.
(04-03-2018, 07:24 PM)YeaStudy Wrote: They said "Industrial/Organizational Psychology...will apply toward your Liberal Studies Area of Study." and placed that course in the Liberal Studies section but NOT in the Industrial Psychology requirement in the General Management concentration.

That makes zero sense.  I think they are clueless over there many times, and I would just think about taking the courses, and trying for the cert, and see what happens.  Especially if you are already going to do Study.com, and if you have a place in your degree plan for the courses (Free Electives area).  Just my advice from someone who has seen what goes on there for the last 7 years...
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(04-03-2018, 11:02 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(04-03-2018, 07:24 PM)YeaStudy Wrote: They said "Industrial/Organizational Psychology...will apply toward your Liberal Studies Area of Study." and placed that course in the Liberal Studies section but NOT in the Industrial Psychology requirement in the General Management concentration.

That makes zero sense.  I think they are clueless over there many times, and I would just think about taking the courses, and trying for the cert, and see what happens.  Especially if you are already going to do Study.com, and if you have a place in your degree plan for the courses (Free Electives area).  Just my advice from someone who has seen what goes on there for the last 7 years...

That make me feel better because I'm pretty confused by some of the things I was told.  Thank you for the advice, it is appreciated.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 4,006 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,608 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU BALS and Questions TexasTink 20 5,147 09-06-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: TexasTink
  TESU BALS w/Concentration questions shadowgem 0 1,720 08-24-2018, 12:40 PM
Last Post: shadowgem
  TESU BALS 2018 - All Online seaweedhead 5 2,918 08-23-2018, 06:18 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  TESU BALS, is the emphasis written on the transcript? posabsolute 21 5,058 08-07-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: badooble
  BSBA Gen Management TESU or Accounting Help LoanGunman 2 1,512 08-03-2018, 09:32 AM
Last Post: LoanGunman
  Liberal Studies General Coursework won't be filled by BUS or CIS courses? posabsolute 5 1,739 08-01-2018, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Lewis.Yim
  Need one more BALS Upper Level badooble 12 3,094 07-28-2018, 08:22 AM
Last Post: quigongene
  TESU gen. ed. algebra requirement alternatives? kietro 5 1,719 07-27-2018, 09:58 AM
Last Post: rckola911