Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with OnlineDegree.com Computer Science Lesson 15: Event Driven
I'm stuck on Lesson 15 where you're supposed to modify an old game to give it a GUI. I have part of it working, but the instructor changes a bunch of sections of the code without showing how it all connects together after the changes. I've watched the video over and over and made all the changes, I just can't figure out how to call the different fuctions. Did anybody whose taken this get that game working with a GUI? I'm stumped.
TESU BSBA CIS - March 2019
Clep: College Algebra, Analyzing and Interpreting Literature, History of U.S. I, History of U.S. II, Principles of Management, Introductory Sociology, College Composition, American Government, Financial Accounting, Principles of Macroeconomics, Principles of Microeconomics, Principles of Marketing, Information Systems, Introductory Business Law, Introductory Psychology, Western Civilization I, Spanish Language, Biology, Social Science and History, Precalculus, Calculus
Study.com: FIN-102 Personal Finance, FIN-101 Principles of Finance, ACC-102 Managerial Accounting, BUS-308 Globalization and International Management, CS-302 Systems Analysis and Design, CS-303 Database Management, COM-120 Presentation Skills in the Workplace, BUS-113 Business Communication, STAT-101 Principles of Statistics
OnlineDegree.com: Computer Science CS101
Saylor.org: CS402, BUS303, CS302
Certs: CompTIA A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, MCSA, LPIC-1, CCNA
TESU: BUS-421 Business Administration Capstone
(12-11-2018, 08:34 AM)camjenks Wrote: I'm stuck on Lesson 15 where you're supposed to modify an old game to give it a GUI. I have part of it working, but the instructor changes a bunch of sections of the code without showing how it all connects together after the changes. I've watched the video over and over and made all the changes, I just can't figure out how to call the different fuctions. Did anybody whose taken this get that game working with a GUI? I'm stumped.

I haven't taken the class, but it sounds like the assignment is wanting you to call a function when an object's event is triggered. All objects (ex: buttons, drop down menus, etc) have events (ex: on-click, mouse-rollover, etc) that are associated with them. The list of possible events are unique to each object, so you'll need to Google to see what events are available for the objects you're working with. In the code module for the object, you'll place your function call inside of the object's event code. Here's a link that walks you through the process. It has an example in Javascript that shows how to do it. You should be able to get the idea and then translate it to whatever language you're working in. If you get stuck, you can PM me.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sapientes's post:
  • camjenks
(12-11-2018, 08:34 AM)camjenks Wrote: I'm stuck on Lesson 15 where you're supposed to modify an old game to give it a GUI. I have part of it working, but the instructor changes a bunch of sections of the code without showing how it all connects together after the changes. I've watched the video over and over and made all the changes, I just can't figure out how to call the different fuctions. Did anybody whose taken this get that game working with a GUI? I'm stumped.

I can try to look at your code too, if you need another eye.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Mab81's post:
  • camjenks
(12-11-2018, 06:32 PM)Mab81 Wrote:

I can try to look at your code too, if you need another eye.

Thanks, I got some of it figured out. I decided to move on with the course. I think there's some concepts that just haven't been covered yet. I think I'm going to finish the course, and then go through it again and review my code to see if I can figure it out once I have a little bit of a bigger picture. I'll definitely let you know if I end up being stumped, though. Thank you!
TESU BSBA CIS - March 2019
Clep: College Algebra, Analyzing and Interpreting Literature, History of U.S. I, History of U.S. II, Principles of Management, Introductory Sociology, College Composition, American Government, Financial Accounting, Principles of Macroeconomics, Principles of Microeconomics, Principles of Marketing, Information Systems, Introductory Business Law, Introductory Psychology, Western Civilization I, Spanish Language, Biology, Social Science and History, Precalculus, Calculus
Study.com: FIN-102 Personal Finance, FIN-101 Principles of Finance, ACC-102 Managerial Accounting, BUS-308 Globalization and International Management, CS-302 Systems Analysis and Design, CS-303 Database Management, COM-120 Presentation Skills in the Workplace, BUS-113 Business Communication, STAT-101 Principles of Statistics
OnlineDegree.com: Computer Science CS101
Saylor.org: CS402, BUS303, CS302
Certs: CompTIA A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, MCSA, LPIC-1, CCNA
TESU: BUS-421 Business Administration Capstone

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Searching for Fire Science Credits CGaboury 6 540 01-11-2024, 12:45 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Degrees available with Saylor Academy and OnlineDegree cvalor 21 3,262 07-03-2023, 02:24 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Sophia US History for PUG as a Social Science requirement faresayari 5 648 05-20-2023, 08:15 PM
Last Post: faresayari
  Computer Architecture Questions ACI 4 863 03-18-2023, 02:02 AM
Last Post: MrPanda
  Sophia is adding Science Labs ashkir 25 3,343 12-21-2022, 09:10 PM
Last Post: KSoul
  Question re: SDC Computer Science 204 - Database Programming raekwon 6 1,523 11-25-2022, 11:51 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  SDC: Computer Science 107 vs Analytics 103? raekwon 7 1,682 06-13-2022, 01:58 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  LL Political Science Courses Jennr2z 2 758 06-02-2022, 07:23 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  What are the quickest social science options for the BOG? Midnightsky7 13 1,391 05-05-2022, 03:51 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  OnlineDegree.com final exam vs quizzes jsd 7 1,463 04-26-2022, 06:54 AM
Last Post: carrythenothing