Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High school senior who went viral for 'record' $10M in scholarships picks college
High school senior who went viral for 'record' $10M in scholarships picks college

https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/high-s...e-decision
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
150 schools!!!! No wonder he got that amount. The best scholarships are a full ride at one college/university, you don't need more than that.
International: UK
Future degree:
MSc Criminology & Criminal Psychology - Essex University
MBA - ENEB

Degrees in process:
BS Health Science 2024 - The University of the People
BSc Open (Health focus) 2023 - The Open University

Degrees completed:

BN Adult Nursing 2020 - Portsmouth University
Credits: Sophia (81)

Just curious.If someone were to apply to 150 schools that are likely to accept their application, but ultimately only choose to attend one, could this potentially disadvantage other students?
How could it disadvantage others? The money and space will just go to another student. It's very common. Universities expect that a certain percentage of scholarships and offers will be turned down. Example: they make offers to 100 students, but based on past enrollment numbers, they only really want/expect to pay for 50 of those scholarships.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Free applications, free gear, free scholarships, what more do you want when you're in high school? I think there was a typo on one of the webpages I was reviewing the first time I read articles on this student, it mentioned a GPA of 4.98, I think it should be a 3.98... Anyways, great work for a young gun, sports and studies...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(05-07-2023, 10:53 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Free applications, free gear, free scholarships, what more do you want when you're in high school?  I think there was a typo on one of the webpages I was reviewing the first time I read articles on this student, it mentioned a GPA of 4.98, I think it should be a 3.98... Anyways, great work for a young gun, sports and studies...

No, his GPA is a 4.98. It's not a typo. Many schools give extra credit so to speak. Everywhere doesn't revolve around the 4.0 scale. Cornell has a funky scale so he'll be used to that. He was accepted into over 180 schools. One report said 186 and this one says 188. I don't know why anyone would spend this amount of time and energy into applications. Kid already has 27 college credits which is awesome. Hopefully, they'll be useful at Cornell. He's in for quite a culture shock and weather shock when he gets to Cornell. It's not a super mix of races at Cornell. The entire region is pretty Caucasian. He spoke of God quite a bit. That's not a common thing at Cornell so that will be a big ole shock to the system. The weather. Oh is he in for some fun times. Wonder if he'll make it more than a year at Cornell. Lots of people can't handle the winters here.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  College will cost up to $95,000 this fall. Schools say it’s OK LevelUP 3 117 7 hours ago
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Celebrating a Forum Legend: bjcheung77's Record-Breaking Journey! LevelUP 6 177 9 hours ago
Last Post: ltw900rr
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 10 706 04-20-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 12 1,765 03-22-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,222 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,602 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,970 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 259 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Amazing Student - High IQ bjcheung77 3 373 02-16-2024, 03:40 AM
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 536 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill