Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Homemade Pre-Med program
So this is a company that sells cram materials for credit testing? Interesting. I came across this forum by chance. Nice to meet you guys. As for my history, I was granted a degree from Excelsior in 2007, did some community college prereqs, then went to med school. I applied to I think 6 med schools and got 6 invites. I would be glad to answer any questions and help in any way I can.
New User Wrote:So this is a company that sells cram materials for credit testing? Interesting. I came across this forum by chance. Nice to meet you guys. As for my history, I was granted a degree from Excelsior in 2007, did some community college prereqs, then went to med school. I applied to I think 6 med schools and got 6 invites. I would be glad to answer any questions and help in any way I can.

I have a few questions. Can you tell me where you took your sciences, and were they part of your Excelsior degree? Were they distance or in seat?
cookderosa Wrote:I have a few questions. Can you tell me where you took your sciences, and were they part of your Excelsior degree? Were they distance or in seat?

Labs are required, so I took the bio, chem, and physics classes at a community college during Fall + Spring and then ochem 1 & 2 in the summer at a local university. I had already finished my degree before starting these prereqs so none were used for EC.
So did you basically earn a degree from Excelsior and then do your own Post-Baccalaureate program at a community college and local university?

Was the university a big name university?

Did you have any problems taking classes at the B&M college/university since you already had a degree?
(What I'm wondering is -- did you have problems as a non-matriculated student at the B&M registering/finding a slot for classes?)

How did you do on the MCAT?

What was your degree in at Excelsior?

What kind of grades did you get in your science courses?

Did you take any science courses at Excelsior that were repeated at the B&M college/university?

Were you a traditional high school graduate that went to college right away or were you a non-traditional student?

If non-traditional, did you have experience in the medical field?
[COLOR="#FFFFFF"]
_[/COLOR]
BA Liberal Studies from Thomas Edison State University
Daithi Wrote:So did you basically earn a degree from Excelsior and then do your own Post-Baccalaureate program at a community college and local university?

Yes

Daithi Wrote:Was the university a big name university?

No, just a regular public state university.

Daithi Wrote:Did you have any problems taking classes at the B&M college/university since you already had a degree?
(What I'm wondering is -- did you have problems as a non-matriculated student at the B&M registering/finding a slot for classes?)

I seem to remember maybe I was at a different priority level for class registration at the university as a post-baccalaureate student taking organic chemistry, but the classes weren't full, so there were no issues. And I never had problems at the community college.

Daithi Wrote:How did you do on the MCAT?

About the same as the average matriculant. Nothing crazy.

Daithi Wrote:What was your degree in at Excelsior?

BSLS

Daithi Wrote:What kind of grades did you get in your science courses?

All A's.

Daithi Wrote:Did you take any science courses at Excelsior that were repeated at the B&M college/university?

No. I only took 3 courses from Excelsior + that library class.

Daithi Wrote:Were you a traditional high school graduate that went to college right away or were you a non-traditional student?

non-trad

Daithi Wrote:If non-traditional, did you have experience in the medical field?

None. I did some volunteer work in a dr office and did some shadowing the year before I applied, but that was it.
Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions. You've really provided a wealth of information on how it is possible to take a non-traditional path into medical school.

Two more questions if you don't mind.

First, were the 6 schools you received invites from M.D. schools, D.O. schools, or both? [Not that it matters much, getting into either one is pretty impressive.]

Second, you mentioned that you received a degree from Excelsior but you only took 3 courses through them. Did you test out of courses like we do here or go about some other path. If it was a different path, would you mind explaining how you went about earning your undergrad degree?
BA Liberal Studies from Thomas Edison State University
Daithi Wrote:Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions. You've really provided a wealth of information on how it is possible to take a non-traditional path into medical school.

I'm not the only person. I know a couple others from EC who made it. If you have a high GPA, decent MCAT, and good extracurricular stuff, I think you would have a good chance.

Daithi Wrote:Two more questions if you don't mind.

First, were the 6 schools you received invites from M.D. schools, D.O. schools, or both? [Not that it matters much, getting into either one is pretty impressive.]

My state had two MD schools, and I applied to 4 out-of-state DO schools. The first acceptance I got was from a DO school, and it was where my family and I wanted to live, so I went with that. No regrets.

Daithi Wrote:Second, you mentioned that you received a degree from Excelsior but you only took 3 courses through them. Did you test out of courses like we do here or go about some other path. If it was a different path, would you mind explaining how you went about earning your undergrad degree?

I had some random credits from the military. I also was awarded a ton of credits for high scores on a foreign language proficiency test. I had maybe 2 semesters worth of credits from a community college I attended like 15 years ago. And then I did some quick self-paced courses and tested out of a couple things.
Okay, don't hate me, will you share your age? Can you also share who you used for your letters of rec?
cookderosa Wrote:Okay, don't hate me, will you share your age? Can you also share who you used for your letters of rec?

Mid 30s.

1 letter from community college biology professor
1 letter from community college gen chem professor
1 letter from anesthesiologist dude
For those thinking about Texas' Acedemic FreshStart | Student Doctor Network

The link has two stories of people getting accepted to Texas medical schools after invoking Texas Academic Fresh Start. TMDSAS, the central application service for Texas public professional schools, does not forward any grades and credits more than 10 years old to the schools being applied to when Texas Academic Fresh Start is in effect. It is a fact.

Credit by exam on a transcript from a Texas public school transfers to other Texas public schools without using any transcripts from the CBE company. Some may call this credit laundering. It is a fact in Texas. A passing score of 50 in U.S. History on a Texas transcript transfers as full credit to Texas universities that require a score of 65 to get CLEP credit for U.S. History. When it transfers, it isn't considered CLEP credit.

A student who has 3 hours of math and the designation Texas Academic Core Curriculum Complete on a community college transcript who transfers to a Texas university that requires 6 hours of math for general degree requirements (as opposed to specific major requirements) gets to graduate from the university with only the 3 hours of transferred math credit. Another Texas fact.

Things are different in Texas, as those of us who live in, have graduated from, and attend school in Texas know.
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,968 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Uexcel and University of Wisconsin PA Program sanantone 0 1,161 12-22-2017, 08:04 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  TESU 2nd Accelerated BSN Program docmarvin 3 1,647 11-13-2017, 06:21 AM
Last Post: Ideas
  Excelsior Nursing Program Approved for Continued Acceptance in Texas sanantone 0 1,154 09-02-2017, 05:53 AM
  question about math electives tesu program will1975 10 3,095 08-16-2017, 01:16 AM
  Excelsior College's Nursing Program and Texas Acceptance sanantone 0 1,876 05-30-2017, 09:51 AM
  TESU CPA Program mccatm 2 1,056 05-26-2017, 10:24 AM
  TESU Pilots Free CLEP Prep Program and Waives CLEP Registration Rachel.Excels 8 1,062 04-10-2017, 02:29 PM
Last Post: inkleind
  CLEP Prep Pilot Program and TESU studyandpass5 2 684 03-25-2017, 10:02 PM
Last Post: studyandpass5
  Excelsior Changes Requirements for Nursing Program Again sanantone 2 757 03-14-2017, 10:07 PM