Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How can I fund my CLEPS?
Hello all, I am trying to get my degree in hopefully 9 months or less by taking CLEPS and other exams. However there is one problem, funding of this? How does one do that? Can I apply for FAFSA or a pell grant? Currently I'm just a wage slave at a big box store and all my money goes to rent, bills and whatever is left for food. If I can't do that, is it possible to pay this through loans like from a bank or maybe a credit card?
Well like anything it takes planning. Some people use the rest of their fin aid to fund testing. Other people cut back on things and do it one test at a time. A Second job for a while perhaps might help. Sell something you don't need anylonger. But pell grants and loans can not be taken out for testing. It's for enrollment and classes. I believe if there is a will there is a way. You can figure this out. In the mean time if your math credits are not find try Aleks it's only 20 per month. Also Saylor has some courses that are free and all you need to pay is the proctor fee. There are ways to do this. Start with one test at a time. Also COSC still accepts FEMA and those are free.
"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion."~ Henry David

BA Humanities - TESC
AAS Construction and Facilities Support - TESC
AA Interior Design - MCC
AA LS - MCC
Certificate Interior Design - MCC
Certificate Management - MCC
Bonz Wrote:Hello all, I am trying to get my degree in hopefully 9 months or less by taking CLEPS and other exams. However there is one problem, funding of this? How does one do that? Can I apply for FAFSA or a pell grant? Currently I'm just a wage slave at a big box store and all my money goes to rent, bills and whatever is left for food. If I can't do that, is it possible to pay this through loans like from a bank or maybe a credit card?

I fund my edu-habit by taking online courses through a college and getting Financial Aid from the courses. All of my left over money goes towards nontraditional credits (CBE, SL etc). You cannot get Financial Aid solely for taking exams, which is why I take the online courses. You could potentially get the money through a bank loan or credit card, picking up a 2nd job. ( the holidays are just around the corner, lots of temp work available) It's really your choice.
AAS in Environmental Safety & Security Technologies from TESC - Completed 2014
and BA Emergency & Disaster Mgmt at American Military University with a minor in Security Management - Completed

Completed:
FEMA: 20 credit hours, B&M: 33 credit hours, AARTS: 14 credit hours, certifications
ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra
CLEP: Analyzing & Interpret. Literature CLEP - 66, English Composition Modular CLEP - 58, American Government CLEP - 58, Social Sciences & History CLEP - 63
DSST: Intro to Computing DSST - 452
Straighterline: Business Ethics (88%), Criminal Justice (94%), World Religions (93%), Cultural Anthropology (92%), Intro to Sociology (94%)
TECEP: CIS 107, ENGL 102, PSY 270, BIO 208
alleycat Wrote:Sell something you don't need anylonger.

Like blood plasma.:p
MS CSIA From WGU - December 2018
B.S. Cybersecurity - COSC - August 2016
A.S. - COSC - May 2015
Start a coin jar. I did this and it works really well! Make a goal of selling 1 thing per week on Craigslist/ebay and put the money in the jar with all your coins. Study so that as soon as you get $80 you're ready to go!
cookderosa Wrote:Start a coin jar. I did this and it works really well! Make a goal of selling 1 thing per week on Craigslist/ebay and put the money in the jar with all your coins. Study so that as soon as you get $80 you're ready to go!

Great advise! It's not impossible. It's so true how quickly change adds up.
"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion."~ Henry David

BA Humanities - TESC
AAS Construction and Facilities Support - TESC
AA Interior Design - MCC
AA LS - MCC
Certificate Interior Design - MCC
Certificate Management - MCC
Hi, Look at your expenses and I am sure there are areas that you can reduce expenses. Get rid of cable for the next 9 months, reduce cell phone minutes, dont go out to eat and avoid fast food. It wont be easy and it wont be fun but its a short term (9 months) bummer for a longer term success!! You can do it!!!!
Bachelors in Liberal Studies TESC 12/11/15

Various certifications and 1 community college class

TESC English 101
TESC Living in the Information age
TESC Intro to Psychology
TESC Intro to Computers

DSST Personal Finance 1/14
DSST Hear's to your health 3/14
DSST Intro to Business 4/14
DSST Organization Behavior 5/14
DSST Substance Abuse 5/14
DSST Intro to World Religion 6/14
DSST Environment and Humanity 7/14
DSST Human Resource Management 8/14
DSST Money & Banking 8/14
CLEP A&I Lit 8/14
CLEP Intro to Sociology 9/14
DSST Intro to Modern Middle East 12/14
DSST Western Europe since 1945 12/14
ALEKS Intermediate Algebra 2/15
ALEKS College Algebra 2/15
ALEKS Intro to stats 2/15
ALEKS PreCalc 2/15
CLEP History of US I 3/15
CLEP History of US II 4/15
CLEP American Gov 5/15
DSST Principles of Sup 5/15
CLEP Amer Lit 6/15
CLEP Social Science 7/15
CLEP Human growth Dev 8/15
CLEP College Comp 9/15
CLEP Humanities 9/15
TESC Capstone 10/15
Does your job offer assistance for education? My old job did and they paid for many of my CLEPs and DSSTs.
SKMDC Wrote:Does your job offer assistance for education? My old job did and they paid for many of my CLEPs and DSSTs.

My employer did, but would not pay for tests, so when I took a course I would sell the text book, which they would pay for, and used the money from that to fund tests.
BA in Natural Sciences/Mathematics, 2013 - TESC - Arnold Fletcher Award
AAS in Applied Computer Studies, 2013 - TESC
116 B&M Credits
32 FEMA Credits
9 ALEKS Credits - Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Trigonometry
9 Straighterline Credits - Business Communication, Microeconomics, English Composition II
6 TESC Credits - Global Environmental Change
3 DSST Credits - Environment and Humanity
Knowing your supervisor had to sign off on you taking courses, maybe talk to your supervisor regarding expensing the exams? The tuition reimbursement program usually only covers tuition, fees and books. At the companies I've worked it always came out of the departments budget. I was allowed to separately expense any educational incidentals; including DSST/CLEP exams, required software, and office supplies. Prometric, College Board and the testing centers all provide necessary receipts.

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Google's new $100 million Google Career Certificates Fund MNomadic 19 2,109 05-03-2022, 09:41 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  States refuse to fund higher ed? List from top to bottom Life Long Learning 13 1,757 10-05-2020, 04:24 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
Question Data Science TESU cleps Greenfields7007 2 1,059 05-08-2019, 04:28 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Useful Free CLEPS TrailRunr 20 6,202 02-15-2019, 03:56 PM
Last Post: clep3705
Information CLEPS and TX Highschool Students kvolivera 4 2,028 02-08-2019, 07:48 AM
  What order should I take these CLEPs? Doodlebabe 3 1,478 04-27-2018, 12:52 PM
Last Post: Doodlebabe
  6 credit CLEPs and TESU? BingCherry 11 4,406 08-01-2017, 05:24 AM
Last Post: ajs1976
  Most Valuable Cleps icampy 12 2,353 04-24-2017, 06:52 AM
Last Post: Synicaal
  Easiest Cleps to Take ! Larlm7800 7 2,673 06-23-2016, 10:20 AM
  Why no one CLEPs their degree from AMU? cisco4711 12 2,832 05-31-2016, 03:04 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77