Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ed4Credit is Gone
(01-07-2020, 02:14 AM)harrypotter Wrote: It’s really sad when money messes up nice things.

I know, but they were just too expensive. Many folks, like myself found a way around SL's 1 month membership simply by doing pre-reading of the textbook prior to even signing up. Pre-reading even works well for brick and mortar courses. If Sophia doesn't do something about their prices, they'll soon find themselves in the same boat as Ed4Credit, which sucks.
Sophia has funding from Capella University, I'm sure they're set for a while.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(01-08-2020, 11:57 PM)jsd Wrote: Sophia has funding from Capella University, I'm sure they're set for a while.

Thank God because I really do like their format.
(01-08-2020, 11:11 PM)Hi indigoshuffle Wrote:
(01-07-2020, 02:14 AM)harrypotter Wrote: It’s really sad when money messes up nice things.

I know, but they were just too expensive. Many folks, like myself found a way around SL's 1 month membership simply by doing pre-reading of the textbook prior to even signing up. Pre-reading even works well for brick and mortar courses. If Sophia doesn't do something about their prices, they'll soon find themselves in the same boat as Ed4Credit, which sucks.
I have the same issue with SL regarding the 1 month time constraint. Could you please explain how to pre-read the text book in SL before the course is activated. I thought you can only access the text book when the course is active. Did you mean pre-read the textbook from outside sources such as buying a used book etc. I really need to get couple of courses done through SL, such as Intro to Communication, Business Statistics and possibly American Gov. Already have a month’s subscription paid for but not activated (Previously lost one month subscription without completing a course).
(01-09-2020, 08:39 AM)S2106 Wrote:
(01-08-2020, 11:11 PM)Hi indigoshuffle Wrote:

I have the same issue with SL regarding the 1 month time constraint. Could you please explain how to pre-read the text book in SL before the course is activated. I thought you can only access the text book when the course is active. Did you mean pre-read the textbook from outside sources such as buying a used book etc. I really need to get couple of courses done through SL, such as Intro to Communication, Business Statistics and possibly American Gov. Already have a month’s subscription paid for but not activated (Previously lost one month subscription without completing a course).

They're referring to things like buying an e-text copy of the textbook in advance or finding a used copy for sale. There is no way to access the textbooks before you've paid for/started the courses at SL.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
Thank you Merlin. I looked into availability of used books and it looks good! Thanks again for your help.
(01-10-2020, 12:43 PM)S2106 Wrote: Thank you Merlin. I looked into availability of used books and it looks good! Thanks again for your help.

You cannot access the book before you purchase the course, no. I'm going to go deep here so hang on. 

Most textbooks for general elective courses are written to a standard. Each publisher has to hit on the same topics. If you open up three general chemistry textbooks and look at the table of contents, you will see what I'm saying. It's really all the same stuff, just explained differently.

Where they are competing for your dollars is HOW they explain the material.

The books are written to a standard because they all need to prepare you for standardized testing. For example, the MCAT biology can be studied for using almost ANY college level biology textbook. This is a fact, because every university or community college in the country will use different textbooks, but they all prepare people for the same exam. So my point is, just grab a textbook for cheap. Let's say you're taking General Chemistry. Buy any cheap $1 textbook from 1-10 years ago. Next, you can get the StraighterLine syllabus for Gen Chem on the SL website. Now you will compare the topics in the syllabus with the topics in your textbook, and you should do this BEFORE you study. It's that simple.
First break down the syllabus and use any cheap textbook and you'll be fine. Next you need to take high quality notes while you read. Do the chapter exercises and practice problems in the textbook and do more practice online and in other textbooks. If you are a full time student, you can get through an entire textbook in 1-2 weeks. Next, you sign up for the SL course. It's that simple. If you want to save a lot of money, you can pre-read 2-4 textbooks and sign up for all of those courses in a 1 month membership block.
[-] The following 2 users Like indigoshuffle's post:
  • Muldoon, shadowgem
Thank you Indigoshuffle for the detailed info. I appreciate your help. The wealth of knowledge and info through this forum is amazing and the willingness to share with other students is commendable.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ACE Badges - Ed4Credit Toastmaster 7 1,320 01-20-2021, 12:40 AM
Last Post: Toastmaster
Exclamation Ed4Credit - Acclaim - Credly Problem Toastmaster 14 2,464 12-21-2020, 11:03 AM
Last Post: Toastmaster
  Alternative ed4credit lab? Faceparade 2 792 05-27-2020, 12:29 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Remove Ed4Credit? Clepper43 6 1,570 02-12-2020, 10:19 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Ed4Credit Notice shadowgem 9 2,034 11-05-2019, 12:40 PM
Last Post: 22gunsonfire
  Review of Ed4Credit course dfrecore 3 3,129 06-24-2019, 01:21 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Are Ed4Credit Courses Pass/Fail or GPA? retro 10 2,077 05-26-2019, 09:56 AM
Last Post: mysonx3
  Ed4Credit.com has 27 new ACE approved courses OnlineStudent011320 95 11,474 03-07-2019, 07:00 PM
Last Post: eriehiker
  UL at ed4credit bnm 3 1,123 12-22-2018, 09:35 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Ed4Credit 10% off coupon code eriehiker 0 985 11-22-2018, 05:43 PM
Last Post: eriehiker