Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you maintain focus on objective?
Hi All-

I am coming down to the wire. I need Intro to Psyc and Intro to Soc. and I will have my AA. I seem to be doing everything but study this past 2 weeks. I know I have to get these done if I want to Graduate and be able to walk in Oct.

Everytime I sit at the computer I seem to come up with an excuse to do anything except study. I even use this board as an excuse, I have posted more in 2 weeks then the past 2 years.

Is it cold feet? or burn out? Somebody please give me a kick start!!:o
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
I think it's burnout and I"m feeling it now, too. I started my path to my ASBA last June 1. Since then I have earned 45 credits and I have 3 currently in progress with a required math class - online format and it's hellacious, to say the least. This hasn't been easy - I work and have a 4 year old and a 17 month old at home.

I absolutely need to study for the Principles of Financial Accounting DSST and I just can't get motivated at all. To stay on schedule, I have to take it within 3 weeks, so I need to get a move on.

I don't have any advice to offer, but I can just tell you I am in the same boat right now.

Let me know if you find something that works to get you motivated hilarious

Wendy
[SIZE="2"]TECEP's passed:[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]English Composition 102[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Technical Writing[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Psychology of Women[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Word Processing Fundamentals[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Introduction to Computer Information Systems[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]CLEP's passed:[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Analyzing and Interpreting Literature - 60[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Principles of Management - 71[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Principles of Marketing - 67[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Principles of Macroeconomics - 54 [/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Principles of Microeconomics - 57 [/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Introduction to Business Law- 65 [/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]DSST's passed:[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Principles of Supervision - 59[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Introduction to Business - 63[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Principles of Financial Accounting- 54[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]FEMA Credits earned: 15[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]ALEKS Intro to Stats completed 3/10/09 [/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]ASBA - TESC - 3/6/09
BSBA - general management in progress
[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]Working on: PF Business and Technical Writing[/SIZE]
Lindagerr Wrote:Hi All-

I am coming down to the wire. I need Intro to Psyc and Intro to Soc. and I will have my AA. I seem to be doing everything but study this past 2 weeks. I know I have to get these done if I want to Graduate and be able to walk in Oct.

Everytime I sit at the computer I seem to come up with an excuse to do anything except study. I even use this board as an excuse, I have posted more in 2 weeks then the past 2 years.

Is it cold feet? or burn out? Somebody please give me a kick start!!:o
>>

Maybe you don't need to give the attention to those subjects like others...and so your putting it off until the last minute. I have done this too- when it was something I felt like I had a good base in, I only spent about 3 days of study. From your siggy, it looks like you might have already taken a class or two in soc/psych? So, maybe you are telling yourself these last two won't be too bad.
My only advice is that if your spending time on this board- spend it over in the specific exam feedback section! THAT'S productive!!
Thanks for the kick in the butt bmillsSmile

Wendy we can do this if we set ourself small reachable goals and reward ourself for meeting them

Cook Thanks for the encouragement

After that post I took a nap and spoke with my husband, then I came back up here read your replies and set my goal one set of flashcards and 1 whole petersons test. I have done that (got 57%) and now I will reward myself with a break some beautiful sunshine and work in the garden and best of all 2 pieces of Dove Dark Chocolate.

Sometimes it is just so lonely we need reminding we have each other here on the board to lean on.hilarious
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
For sure Linda!

We obviously have similar reward tastes! Now that Spring is here, gardening, chocolate, and reading lighthearted novels are my first picks (altho' reading school books put me to sleep much faster!).

a 57% on Petersons means you are probably very very close to being ready go take the exam!
CLEPS/DANTES ATTEMPTED/PASSED Big Grin -21 Classes credited:
[SIZE=1][SIZE=1]- Human/Cultural Geography (SOC300) 69/Nov 08

[/SIZE]- Intro to Business Law (LEG100) 73/Nov 08
- Astronomy (HUM300) 68/Nov 08
- Human Resource Management (BUS310) 73/Jul 08
- Money and Banking (ECO320) 64/Jun 08
- Principles of Finance (FIN100) 67/May 08
- Principles of Macroeconomics (ECO100) 75/Apr 08
- Principles of Marketing 74/Apr 08
- Introduction to World Religions (HUM400) 78/Apr 08
- Analyzing & Interpreting Lit 69/Mar 08 (6 credits)
- Introductory Psychology 74/Feb 08
- Introductory Sociology 73/Jan 08
- Principles of Mgmt 75/Dec 05
- English Comp (cold) 59/Sep 05 (6 credits)
- Information Systems & Computer Apps 72/Sep 05
- College French Language 75/Jun 05 (12 credits)

+Traditional Credits Earned 2005-2008: 17 classes - last 3 traditional classes completed Oct/08
ALL DONE NOV 08. Degree received: BS in Business Administration, minor in Management, SCL. Saved $$$$$ and Time - Thanks to InstantCert.[/SIZE]
For what it is worth, I found my fear of failure helped my motivation out quite a bit. I would do some self-talk about failing the test if I didn't study and I became very motivated!

I also found changing study resources every 1/2 to 1 hour helped. So I would do IC, then do some quizzes, then go to wikipedia, then google the course and add .edu or .ppt to find some professor's notes or presentations, etc.... I was able to keep myself from being bored this way.
I am the greatest procrastinator in the world! It sure doesn't help that I have a 4 month old daughter that likes to grin at me and giggle while I study. So rewards are extremely helpful. My reward of choice is Ben & Jerry's Coffee Heath Crunch. :p
Bachelor of Arts, 2008
87 Traditional Credits
27 Exam Credits
6 FEMA Credits

M.A., 2010  

*Now Homeschooling
Linda-
i definitely procrastinate through this board. but it also gives me such great motivation at the same time to see that other people kind of get what's going on in my life-- no one in my everyday world really understands this testing stuff!

I've taken the sociology, and all i can say is really don't worry about it. i mean, study, but this is not one to stress over. i would take the official clep practice test and judge your readiness from that. once you review the sociology material, it seems almost like everyday knowledge.
good luck!
[COLOR="Indigo"]Taken and passed-
CLEP: precalc, college algebra, chemistry, american lit, english lit, principles of marketing, principles of management, sociology, history of western civ I, macroeconomics, microeconomics, biology (70!!!)
DANTES: history of vietnam war, art history, money and banking

Let me know if you need study advice on any of the above!

Coming up: Nothing! I'm finished with testing!!! Thank you all for your help and please contact me if you need some help in return.[/COLOR]
NO counselor in the WORLD would suggest this method, but it worked for me...

When I felt unmotivated, I would engage in lots of negative self talk! I'd say, "You're a bum....you'll never make it!!"..LOL! Again, no psychologist or counselor would ever suggest you use negative self talk. But for some reason, it always made me sit up in my chair and do my work.
Charter Oak State College [COLOR="Red"]GRADUATE (I can finally say that as of 05/31/08)!!
Concentration - Psychology[/COLOR]

Tests Completed:
[COLOR="Navy"] CLEP: Introductory Sociology - 65
DSST: Drug and Alcohol Abuse - 61
Here's to Your, Health - 66
Fundamentals of Counseling - 67
Charter Oak Tests: Infant and Toddler Development
Child Developmental Psychology
Introduction to Early Childhood Education (all passed, worth 3 credits each)
Psychology GRE: 62nd percentile, 18 credits[/COLOR]
Thank you for this post, Linda. It motivated me. I got through one section of the flashcards last night and more than half of the DSST study guide Wink
[SIZE="2"]TECEP's passed:[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]English Composition 102[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Technical Writing[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Psychology of Women[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Word Processing Fundamentals[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Introduction to Computer Information Systems[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]CLEP's passed:[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Analyzing and Interpreting Literature - 60[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Principles of Management - 71[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Principles of Marketing - 67[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Principles of Macroeconomics - 54 [/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Principles of Microeconomics - 57 [/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Introduction to Business Law- 65 [/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]DSST's passed:[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Principles of Supervision - 59[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Introduction to Business - 63[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Principles of Financial Accounting- 54[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]FEMA Credits earned: 15[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]ALEKS Intro to Stats completed 3/10/09 [/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]ASBA - TESC - 3/6/09
BSBA - general management in progress
[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]Working on: PF Business and Technical Writing[/SIZE]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can't Focus: Going Father Down the Rabbit Holes LadySearchDog 20 2,892 09-25-2020, 12:31 PM
Last Post: warriortaupou
  Getting a pre-teen to FOCUS jackbanta 20 2,152 10-18-2011, 07:42 PM
Last Post: jackbanta