Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How hard are Study.com Finals?
Just started taking my first Study.com course (American Civil War Era), and it's one of the ones with a practice test, so I took it and was pleasantly surprised to have gotten "mastery" over 40% of the material (I was under the impression 30% was the max).

I'm a little concerned that skipping over the quizzes I don't take will hurt me on the final, so I'm wondering how hard the finals are and how well they usually match the content of the previous quiz questions?

I know I don't need to do particularly well on the final to pass (by my math, if I max out the quizzes and get 70% on the projects then I only need 40% on the final to pass), but I'm still wondering if I'll have trouble with the final on account of skipping some of the quizzes/lessons.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
Every time I finished a course, I would do 2 or more of the practice finals. If I consistently passed those with a good enough margin, I took the real proctored final. If I didn't, then I would just study the sections I was getting wrong and try again until I was satisfied with my practice final scores. That final technique worked well enough for me.

Also, for the "testing out" of portions of the class, that only works properly if you don't do any guessing.

If you "guess" your way to 40% mastery without knowing the material, then you may be in trouble. But if you know all the material that you tested out of then you should be fine. Doesn't hurt to briefly review the transcripts or the video, though.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 2 users Like MNomadic's post:
  • amberwalk, sburch1991
At the end of each course there is a set of flashcards you can use to prepare for the exam. You can move quickly through them, and I've personally found them very helpful as a refresher prior to the exams.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • Muldoon
I took all my GE courses and then some through SL - open book finals. I elected to take some of DAVAR's business course for the upper level - the pre quizzes is what helped me pass the exam.  Did not care for the essay explanations, but getting those extra points made up the difference in my score.  I used Study.com only to pass the UExcel Human Resources Management exam.  Big Grin  Utilizing these routes to was successfully transfer the credits below to Excelsior - 

SL          102 credits
DAVAR     12 credit
UExcel       1 credit
DSST        9  credits

Now all I need to take the Excelsior Capstone get a bachelors degree in Business Administration in Professional Studies.
[-] The following 1 user Likes della2054's post:
  • GonnaGraduate
do a practice final, if you can pass that you can pass the real final. if you can't, go back and study and try again.

i have never failed a Study.com final and i've done 25ish courses with them.
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

(10-08-2018, 07:26 PM)jsh1138 Wrote: do a practice final, if you can pass that you can pass the real final. if you can't, go back and study and try again.

Yes, they offer you practice exams as well.  You can take a few and get a good idea of how you stand; I usually take 2 or three practice exams just to know I have a solid understanding. The questions on the practice exams will not be the same, just similar to the final. Again I suggest you go through the flash cards first (very quick process, refreshes your memory).  If you do well on the quizzes you're likely only going to need a grade in the 50% range to pass the course - but better to get a 80% on the exam than a just passing 60%.  I've never had to retake one, even on subjects that were unfamiliar to me before the course (or those subjects that were boring as all...well you know, ha)
Amberton University

(10-09-2018, 08:12 AM)allvia Wrote:
(10-08-2018, 07:26 PM)jsh1138 Wrote: do a practice final, if you can pass that you can pass the real final. if you can't, go back and study and try again.

Yes, they offer you practice exams as well.  You can take a few and get a good idea of how you stand; I usually take 2 or three practice exams just to know I have a solid understanding. The questions on the practice exams will not be the same, just similar to the final. Again I suggest you go through the flash cards first (very quick process, refreshes your memory).  If you do well on the quizzes you're likely only going to need a grade in the 50% range to pass the course - but better to get a 80% on the exam than a just passing 60%.  I've never had to retake one, even on subjects that were unfamiliar to me before the course (or those subjects that were boring as all...well you know, ha)

Nice! thanks for the tips. I am finishing up SL courses and plan on tackling Study.com next. So your method is go through all the videos and the end of video quizzes, do a practice final exam or two, then before taking the actual final, you review the flashcards?
(10-09-2018, 06:12 PM)sburch1991 Wrote:
(10-09-2018, 08:12 AM)allvia Wrote:

Nice! thanks for the tips. I am finishing up SL courses and plan on tackling Study.com next. So your method is go through all the videos and the end of video quizzes, do a practice final exam or two, then before taking the actual final, you review the flashcards?

If I don't do that well on the first practice final then I do the flash cards before taking the next practice final.  I do recommend going through the flash cards no matter what - as they are more topic driven and the exam is good for wording style of questions.  Don't overthink the questions, but do read the questions twice as they often have quite a bit of what is NOT vs choosing the correct answer.
Amberton University

[-] The following 2 users Like allvia's post:
  • sburch1991, suzycupcake
"Don't overthink the questions, but do read the questions twice as they often have quite a bit of what is NOT vs choosing the correct answer."
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I think this is right on the money. I just took two of them back to back and if you go in thinking they'll just be questions from the practice exams, you'll be thrown off. The phrasing is different for sure and once you get over the fact that you've never seen these questions before, you'll realize that you have, just not with the same wording. Plus, they are kind enough to throw in some obvious wrong choices if you look for them.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Beardedlady72's post:
  • suzycupcake
My silly advice is to just study the material. Once you can do the end of chapter quizzes the final is usually easier.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 39,324 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,481 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,686 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 602 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 327 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 968 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,811 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 552 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Study Managerial Accounting that Transfers to UMPI Indieblue 0 279 01-25-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Indieblue
  Study.com vs Sophia - Time to complete RachelB 2 682 01-05-2024, 01:20 PM