Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How is Study.com?
So I'm looking into Study.com as a potential way to gain credit. I have a couple questions for it. How much are classes? Is it a monthly fee or a one time fee? Is it a strict 12-15 week sort of thing or can I take the course as quickly or as slowly as I please? Do they have a bunch of quizzes and assignments or is it mostly a test out thing? Would this be a highly recommended site? Amy other information on it would be awesome. Thanks guys! Smile
Membership to get credit is 200 / month. Two exams included (they are lost if you don't use them that month), you can buy 3 more at 70 each.
You can choose your own speed.
It's mostly quizzes (a lot) and a final proctored exam for LL and assignments also for UL. Check the syllabus of each course. Yes, it is recommended mostly to use for the UL courses.
[-] The following 1 user Likes lacussucceed's post:
  • abs_co
(07-17-2019, 05:01 PM)abs_co Wrote: So I'm looking into Study.com as a potential way to gain credit. I have a couple questions for it. How much are classes? Is it a monthly fee or a one time fee? Is it a strict 12-15 week sort of thing or can I take the course as quickly or as slowly as I please? Do they have a bunch of quizzes and assignments or is it mostly a test out thing? Would this be a highly recommended site? Amy other information on it would be awesome. Thanks guys! Smile

I'm just using Study.com for the first time myself. For the College Accelerator Plan, it's $199 a month (a recurring monthly charge); you can take however quickly or slowly you want, but the incentive is to get two classes done in a month since it's $199 a month. There are many short quizzes and then a proctored final. 
I would say many people find Study.com to be extremely helpful; I personally prefer the format of Straighterline, but it's personal preference. Good luck!
[-] The following 2 users Like studyandpass5's post:
  • abs_co, akr680
Many, many quizzes and then a final. Many, many quizzes. (I’m saying that twice because there are many, many quizzes ?)

I prefer SL, Sophia or my new fave is Coopersmith.
TESU BALS March 2020!
Study.com (24) StraighterLine (33) Sophia (10) SHU and GCU (26) TEEX (6) Coopersmith (12) CSMLearn (3) TESU (6)
[-] The following 3 users Like suzycupcake's post:
  • abs_co, akr680, Leedeedee
Thank you all for the responses! Everyone seems to favor Straighterline so I have a follow up question. How does study.com compare to SL (never used that one either) in regards to pricing, pace, and assignments?
[-] The following 1 user Likes abs_co's post:
  • akr680
You can plow through SL courses because you don't have to stop and take all those quizzes. You can get right to the exams/midterm and do your thing! Bonus that most are open book. Personally, I love them because if I know the material I can easily test out of it and I don't have anyone making me go through 155 quizzes to get to the final.

I feel like SDC is more for people who don't know or who want to study the material. SL is more for people who need to get it done and/or who know the material and want to test out.

Just my 2 cents.
TESU BALS March 2020!
Study.com (24) StraighterLine (33) Sophia (10) SHU and GCU (26) TEEX (6) Coopersmith (12) CSMLearn (3) TESU (6)
[-] The following 1 user Likes suzycupcake's post:
  • abs_co
I think SL can be done much faster, but when I go fast on SL I don't learn much or retain as much.

Pricing tends to be similar, but SL has more coupons, so it's cheaper if you maximize those.
Working on second TESU degree. Graduate in Sept? Dec?
First Masters complete. Working on another?
TESU BSBA (with ASNSM) in March 2018.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • abs_co
(07-17-2019, 07:54 PM)abs_co Wrote: Thank you all for the responses! Everyone seems to favor Straighterline so I have a follow up question. How does study.com compare to SL (never used that one either) in regards to pricing, pace, and assignments?

I love SL, SDC has too many quiz and 1-3 assignments. Unfortunately, SL don't have much computer science courses Sad
------------------
BS - 2020 (In Progress)
BBA, MK  University - 2003

StraighterLine : 
Accounting I, Accounting II, American Government, Business Statistics, Cultural Anthropology, Calculus I, Physics I, IT Fundamentals, Intro to Communication, Introduction to Religion, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Principles of Management

SDC: 
302: System Analysis & Design, 307: Software Engineering, 104: College Composition l, 104: College Composition II, 303: Management Information Systems, 311: Project Management

TEEX:  Cyber Ethics, Cyber Law

The Institutes: Ethics

CSM: The CSM Course

[-] The following 1 user Likes akr680's post:
  • abs_co
(07-17-2019, 05:01 PM)abs_co Wrote: So I'm looking into Study.com as a potential way to gain credit. I have a couple questions for it. How much are classes? Is it a monthly fee or a one time fee? Is it a strict 12-15 week sort of thing or can I take the course as quickly or as slowly as I please? Do they have a bunch of quizzes and assignments or is it mostly a test out thing? Would this be a highly recommended site? Amy other information on it would be awesome. Thanks guys! Smile
At our house we personally love Study. The videos are short and entertaining.  There ARE a lot of quizzes but, for us, it's just immediate feedback for the learning process.  I also love the option to watch the videos and/or just read the transcript. The flashcards and practice finals are invaluable as well. 
I did try SL but, for us, we just found it very dry.
Everyone has their learning style preference-I love that there are so many awesome options
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Homeschool College Guidance Counselor Mom to twin 13 yo boys

Study: US History 1, Pres Skills, Environ Science, Ethics in America
Sophia: Psychology, Visual Comms, Sociology, Eff Teams, Mng Conflict, Student Success
CsmLearn

Planning for (2) Bachelors + ?
[-] The following 1 user Likes TwinMom's post:
  • abs_co
Study.com is the best option for ACE credit imo. The app is way more useful than you would think
Study.com - 129 CR. TESU - 27 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 2 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Study. Com Computer Science 113: Programming in Python Mitmike2019 1 90 Today, 04:37 AM
Last Post: lacussucceed
  Study.com English Comp II AwardTour 12 1,286 Yesterday, 08:21 AM
Last Post: SweetsugarNL
  Study.com Coupon JWells247 17 958 01-23-2020, 07:58 AM
Last Post: shadowgem
  Study.com Graders DeanLewis 15 1,191 01-21-2020, 03:19 PM
Last Post: saraholson
  Study.com class recommendations to complete BSBA in CIS @ TESU Raftingdon2 11 476 01-19-2020, 07:27 PM
Last Post: AwardTour
  Study.com Referral alschwartz 4 298 01-18-2020, 03:28 AM
Last Post: udi
  Study.com for Electives to Transfer to TESU Raftingdon2 4 287 01-14-2020, 10:51 AM
Last Post: degreeguy
  Study.com transcript delivery nilahti2 1 140 01-14-2020, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Zachcleigh
  Study.com Artificial Intelligence udi 15 909 01-13-2020, 05:47 PM
Last Post: Zachcleigh
  How do we take more than 2 courses on Study.com? blithe 6 412 01-11-2020, 07:14 PM
Last Post: lacussucceed