Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How is Study.com?
So I'm looking into Study.com as a potential way to gain credit. I have a couple questions for it. How much are classes? Is it a monthly fee or a one time fee? Is it a strict 12-15 week sort of thing or can I take the course as quickly or as slowly as I please? Do they have a bunch of quizzes and assignments or is it mostly a test out thing? Would this be a highly recommended site? Amy other information on it would be awesome. Thanks guys! Smile
Membership to get credit is 200 / month. Two exams included (they are lost if you don't use them that month), you can buy 3 more at 70 each.
You can choose your own speed.
It's mostly quizzes (a lot) and a final proctored exam for LL and assignments also for UL. Check the syllabus of each course. Yes, it is recommended mostly to use for the UL courses.
[-] The following 1 user Likes lacussucceed's post:
  • abs_co
(07-17-2019, 05:01 PM)abs_co Wrote: So I'm looking into Study.com as a potential way to gain credit. I have a couple questions for it. How much are classes? Is it a monthly fee or a one time fee? Is it a strict 12-15 week sort of thing or can I take the course as quickly or as slowly as I please? Do they have a bunch of quizzes and assignments or is it mostly a test out thing? Would this be a highly recommended site? Amy other information on it would be awesome. Thanks guys! Smile

I'm just using Study.com for the first time myself. For the College Accelerator Plan, it's $199 a month (a recurring monthly charge); you can take however quickly or slowly you want, but the incentive is to get two classes done in a month since it's $199 a month. There are many short quizzes and then a proctored final. 
I would say many people find Study.com to be extremely helpful; I personally prefer the format of Straighterline, but it's personal preference. Good luck!
[-] The following 2 users Like studyandpass5's post:
  • abs_co, akr680
Many, many quizzes and then a final. Many, many quizzes. (I’m saying that twice because there are many, many quizzes ?)

I prefer SL, Sophia or my new fave is Coopersmith.
Amberton University, MS Human Relations & Business
Started June 2022

TESU BALS completed March 2020
Study.com (24) StraighterLine (33) Sophia (10) SHU and GCU (26) TEEX (6) Coopersmith (12) CSMLearn (3) TESU (6)
[-] The following 3 users Like suzycupcake's post:
  • abs_co, akr680, Leedeedee
Thank you all for the responses! Everyone seems to favor Straighterline so I have a follow up question. How does study.com compare to SL (never used that one either) in regards to pricing, pace, and assignments?
[-] The following 1 user Likes abs_co's post:
  • akr680
You can plow through SL courses because you don't have to stop and take all those quizzes. You can get right to the exams/midterm and do your thing! Bonus that most are open book. Personally, I love them because if I know the material I can easily test out of it and I don't have anyone making me go through 155 quizzes to get to the final.

I feel like SDC is more for people who don't know or who want to study the material. SL is more for people who need to get it done and/or who know the material and want to test out.

Just my 2 cents.
Amberton University, MS Human Relations & Business
Started June 2022

TESU BALS completed March 2020
Study.com (24) StraighterLine (33) Sophia (10) SHU and GCU (26) TEEX (6) Coopersmith (12) CSMLearn (3) TESU (6)
[-] The following 1 user Likes suzycupcake's post:
  • abs_co
I think SL can be done much faster, but when I go fast on SL I don't learn much or retain as much.

Pricing tends to be similar, but SL has more coupons, so it's cheaper if you maximize those.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • abs_co
(07-17-2019, 07:54 PM)abs_co Wrote: Thank you all for the responses! Everyone seems to favor Straighterline so I have a follow up question. How does study.com compare to SL (never used that one either) in regards to pricing, pace, and assignments?

I love SL, SDC has too many quiz and 1-3 assignments. Unfortunately, SL don't have much computer science courses Sad
------------------

[-] The following 1 user Likes akr680's post:
  • abs_co
(07-17-2019, 05:01 PM)abs_co Wrote: So I'm looking into Study.com as a potential way to gain credit. I have a couple questions for it. How much are classes? Is it a monthly fee or a one time fee? Is it a strict 12-15 week sort of thing or can I take the course as quickly or as slowly as I please? Do they have a bunch of quizzes and assignments or is it mostly a test out thing? Would this be a highly recommended site? Amy other information on it would be awesome. Thanks guys! Smile
At our house we personally love Study. The videos are short and entertaining.  There ARE a lot of quizzes but, for us, it's just immediate feedback for the learning process.  I also love the option to watch the videos and/or just read the transcript. The flashcards and practice finals are invaluable as well. 
I did try SL but, for us, we just found it very dry.
Everyone has their learning style preference-I love that there are so many awesome options
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Homeschool College Guidance Counselor Mom to twin 18 yo boys

CsmLearn
Study: US History, Pres Skills, Enviro Sci, Ethics America, Intro CJ, Meteorology, Forensic Sci, Criminology
Sophia: Psych, Visual Comms, Sociology, Eff Teams, Mng Conflict,  Anc Greek, Art History 1, Intro to IT,
Intro to Bus, Engl Comp 1&2, Religion, Conflict Reso, College Algebra, US History 2
TEEX: Death Invest
Coopersmith: Stress Mgmt, Therapeutic, Drugs & Society, Sport & Exercise, Psych of Motivation, Pos Psych, Career Coun
Community College: Comp Info Syst, A+ Hardware, A+ Op Syst, Linux Op Syst, Networks, Switching & Routing, Networking, IT Security
Computer Certs: Comp Tia A+

Planning for (2) Bachelors: BSLS 

[-] The following 1 user Likes TwinMom's post:
  • abs_co
Study.com is the best option for ACE credit imo. The app is way more useful than you would think
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

[-] The following 1 user Likes jsh1138's post:
  • abs_co

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 462,720 3 hours ago
Last Post: RachelB
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 522 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 307 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 941 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,767 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 66 38,886 02-01-2024, 03:56 PM
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 533 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Study Managerial Accounting that Transfers to UMPI Indieblue 0 263 01-25-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Indieblue
  Study.com vs Sophia - Time to complete RachelB 2 666 01-05-2024, 01:20 PM
  Study scholarships Carnation 2 340 12-31-2023, 08:16 PM
Last Post: Carnation