Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How is Study.com?
So I'm looking into Study.com as a potential way to gain credit. I have a couple questions for it. How much are classes? Is it a monthly fee or a one time fee? Is it a strict 12-15 week sort of thing or can I take the course as quickly or as slowly as I please? Do they have a bunch of quizzes and assignments or is it mostly a test out thing? Would this be a highly recommended site? Amy other information on it would be awesome. Thanks guys! Smile
Membership to get credit is 200 / month. Two exams included (they are lost if you don't use them that month), you can buy 3 more at 70 each.
You can choose your own speed.
It's mostly quizzes (a lot) and a final proctored exam for LL and assignments also for UL. Check the syllabus of each course. Yes, it is recommended mostly to use for the UL courses.
[-] The following 1 user Likes lacussucceed's post:
  • abs_co
(07-17-2019, 05:01 PM)abs_co Wrote: So I'm looking into Study.com as a potential way to gain credit. I have a couple questions for it. How much are classes? Is it a monthly fee or a one time fee? Is it a strict 12-15 week sort of thing or can I take the course as quickly or as slowly as I please? Do they have a bunch of quizzes and assignments or is it mostly a test out thing? Would this be a highly recommended site? Amy other information on it would be awesome. Thanks guys! Smile

I'm just using Study.com for the first time myself. For the College Accelerator Plan, it's $199 a month (a recurring monthly charge); you can take however quickly or slowly you want, but the incentive is to get two classes done in a month since it's $199 a month. There are many short quizzes and then a proctored final. 
I would say many people find Study.com to be extremely helpful; I personally prefer the format of Straighterline, but it's personal preference. Good luck!
[-] The following 2 users Like studyandpass5's post:
  • abs_co, akr680
Many, many quizzes and then a final. Many, many quizzes. (I’m saying that twice because there are many, many quizzes ?)

I prefer SL, Sophia or my new fave is Coopersmith.
Started w/ 18 credits in Dec 2018 - going for TESU BALS early 2020!
Study.com (24): Eng Comp I & II, Pres Skills in the Workplace, Prin of Supervision, Personal Finance, Here's to Your Health, Prin of Mgmt, Tech in the Classroom
StraighterLine (33): Intro to Rel, Intro to CJ, US Hist I/II, Amer Govt, Western Civ I/II, Intro to Env Sci, IT Fund, Cult Anthropology, Pharmacology
Sophia (7): Dev Effective Teams, Visual Comm, Conflict Resolution
SHU (18): Prin of Soc, Prin of Psych, Ethics, Logic, Prin of Econ, Mgmt Info Sys
GCU (8): Univ Success, 21st Century Comm & Info Lit
TEEX (3): Death Investigation
Coopersmith (3): Drugs, Society and Human Behavior
CSMLearn (3)
[-] The following 3 users Like suzycupcake's post:
  • abs_co, akr680, Leedeedee
Thank you all for the responses! Everyone seems to favor Straighterline so I have a follow up question. How does study.com compare to SL (never used that one either) in regards to pricing, pace, and assignments?
[-] The following 1 user Likes abs_co's post:
  • akr680
You can plow through SL courses because you don't have to stop and take all those quizzes. You can get right to the exams/midterm and do your thing! Bonus that most are open book. Personally, I love them because if I know the material I can easily test out of it and I don't have anyone making me go through 155 quizzes to get to the final.

I feel like SDC is more for people who don't know or who want to study the material. SL is more for people who need to get it done and/or who know the material and want to test out.

Just my 2 cents.
Started w/ 18 credits in Dec 2018 - going for TESU BALS early 2020!
Study.com (24): Eng Comp I & II, Pres Skills in the Workplace, Prin of Supervision, Personal Finance, Here's to Your Health, Prin of Mgmt, Tech in the Classroom
StraighterLine (33): Intro to Rel, Intro to CJ, US Hist I/II, Amer Govt, Western Civ I/II, Intro to Env Sci, IT Fund, Cult Anthropology, Pharmacology
Sophia (7): Dev Effective Teams, Visual Comm, Conflict Resolution
SHU (18): Prin of Soc, Prin of Psych, Ethics, Logic, Prin of Econ, Mgmt Info Sys
GCU (8): Univ Success, 21st Century Comm & Info Lit
TEEX (3): Death Investigation
Coopersmith (3): Drugs, Society and Human Behavior
CSMLearn (3)
[-] The following 1 user Likes suzycupcake's post:
  • abs_co
I think SL can be done much faster, but when I go fast on SL I don't learn much or retain as much.

Pricing tends to be similar, but SL has more coupons, so it's cheaper if you maximize those.
Working on second TESU degree. Graduate in June?
First Masters complete.
TESU BSBA (with ASNSM) in March 2018.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • abs_co
(07-17-2019, 07:54 PM)abs_co Wrote: Thank you all for the responses! Everyone seems to favor Straighterline so I have a follow up question. How does study.com compare to SL (never used that one either) in regards to pricing, pace, and assignments?

I love SL, SDC has too many quiz and 1-3 assignments. Unfortunately, SL don't have much computer science courses Sad
------------------
BS IT (TESU)  In progress (88/120 - Target 2020)
BBA, MK  University - 2003

SDC(6CR): Eng1, Soft Engg
SL(31CR): Intro to Reli, Commn, Physics1, IT fund, Accounting1, Prin of Mgmt, Calculus1, Cul Ant, Ame Govt, Bus Sta
CSM(3cr) - High Perfo
Sophia(1cr): Dev Eff Team
TEEX(4cr) - Cyber Ethics, Cyber Law and White Collar Crime
BM - 60 Cr
[-] The following 1 user Likes akr680's post:
  • abs_co
(07-17-2019, 05:01 PM)abs_co Wrote: So I'm looking into Study.com as a potential way to gain credit. I have a couple questions for it. How much are classes? Is it a monthly fee or a one time fee? Is it a strict 12-15 week sort of thing or can I take the course as quickly or as slowly as I please? Do they have a bunch of quizzes and assignments or is it mostly a test out thing? Would this be a highly recommended site? Amy other information on it would be awesome. Thanks guys! Smile
At our house we personally love Study. The videos are short and entertaining.  There ARE a lot of quizzes but, for us, it's just immediate feedback for the learning process.  I also love the option to watch the videos and/or just read the transcript. The flashcards and practice finals are invaluable as well. 
I did try SL but, for us, we just found it very dry.
Everyone has their learning style preference-I love that there are so many awesome options
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Homeschool College Guidance Counselor Mom to twin 13 yo boys

US History I-Study
Ethics in America-Study
Environmental Science-Study
Presentation Skills-Study

Planning for a Bachelors at TESU
or.......?????

[-] The following 1 user Likes TwinMom's post:
  • abs_co
Study.com is the best option for ACE credit imo. The app is way more useful than you would think
Study.com - 111 CR. TESU - 27 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 2 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 4 CR. Excelsior - 3 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. FEMA - 20ish

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Study.com referral codes Salamander 1 43 1 hour ago
Last Post: lacussucceed
  30 ul doable at Study.com? SweetsugarNL 15 629 08-23-2019, 04:02 PM
Last Post: SweetsugarNL
  I need study.com 30 day trial code bethanyneedsajob 19 1,804 08-22-2019, 10:47 PM
Last Post: amberwalk
  Saylor Vs Study.com Vs SL, etc cecilgambe7 22 528 08-20-2019, 07:06 AM
  Study.com webcam/proctoring software question AwardTour 14 663 08-18-2019, 04:10 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  Labs courses in Study.com cecilgambe7 12 474 08-15-2019, 08:29 AM
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 166 76,272 08-13-2019, 07:40 PM
Last Post: Salamander
  Study.com answer key? saraholson 6 578 08-12-2019, 05:32 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  Two Questions About Study.com cecilgambe7 2 257 08-05-2019, 07:42 AM
Last Post: allvia
  New Study.com courses (5/16/19) dfrecore 118 8,216 08-04-2019, 09:01 PM
Last Post: Ideas